E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 PCV Venting to atmosphere

03-25-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Before I even tackle the 3 stage manifold I was worried to an extent about the longevity of all these shitty plastic hoses aswell as the pcv heater melting.
Searched a bit around and couldn't find an N52 venting the PCV system to the atmosphere and blocking off the manifold ports.
For one I wouldn't like to get my manifold full of oil after thoroughly cleaning it. I've read disas don't like oil either. I think it's a rather useless system save for emissions requirements which we don't have in Florida.

I'd like to see some of you guys setups for catch cans aswell if this isn't a thing that's been done.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
BudVlad
Old Geezer
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 N53B30

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [10.00]
Because I have N53 (DI) I had to eliminate crank ventilation to intake manifold to reduce intake valves carbon build up.
Attached Images

03-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #3
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudVlad View Post
Because I have N53 (DI) I had to eliminate crank ventilation to intake manifold to reduce intake valves carbon build up.
That's a great looking setup!
I suppose there are no issues with this being vented and not sucked in by the intake manifold? Given that there's still a pcv valve inside the engine valve cover.
Do you have a DIY on it? I know it's an N54 manifold but I'd like to know the components and hoses etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

just install a catch can between the pcv and manifold if you're concerned about the oil. 3/4 hose fits the quick connects just fine.

I would not want to smell my crankcase all day in my HVAC system.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 03:56 PM   #5
BudVlad
Old Geezer
Czech_Republic
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
That's a great looking setup!
I suppose there are no issues with this being vented and not sucked in by the intake manifold? Given that there's still a pcv valve inside the engine valve cover.
Do you have a DIY on it? I know it's an N54 manifold but I'd like to know the components and hoses etc.
I got the catch can, filter and hoses from ebay. I didn’t want to connect the catch can outlet back to inlet because it’s N53. I guess on N52 it’s OK. However, I don’t smell anything, filter gets rid off the crankcase smell.
      06-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
N52 PCV Venting to atmosphere

I've been reading a lot regarding this topic and have started to piece together a setup similar to yours. Only concern would be the lack of vacuum from the intake system to pull gases out of the crankcase since all that's pushing them out is the internal engine pressures. I think this can work quite well, weird it isn't a common thing for these engines.

In a few weeks I'll be moving to a place with a garage so I can flash the bimmerlabs tune with my pc, so I can fully test the disas then do the swap and the pcv job
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 02:42 PM   #7
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
I've also been exploring oil catch cans to reduce the amount of oil in the intake manifold and hopefully extend the life of my DISA valves. What's the benefit of venting to atmosphere? I'm not sure if there's much vacuum to begin with due to valvetronic, but I'm not familiar with our vacuum system.

My plan was to simply splice the catch can in between the valve cover and manifold. The BMS can fits on the strut brace behind the PS fluid reservoir:

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:23 AM   #8
Cdutch513
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 BMW 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I've also been exploring oil catch cans to reduce the amount of oil in the intake manifold and hopefully extend the life of my DISA valves. What's the benefit of venting to atmosphere? I'm not sure if there's much vacuum to begin with due to valvetronic, but I'm not familiar with our vacuum system.

My plan was to simply splice the catch can in between the valve cover and manifold. The BMS can fits on the strut brace behind the PS fluid reservoir:

Ayyyyyyye, this is my video lol.

Quote:
For one I wouldn't like to get my manifold full of oil after thoroughly cleaning it. I've read disas don't like oil either.
This. I pulled my intake manifold off to troubleshoot a misfire. There was like 10 ounces of oil in the manifold and the DISA valves were covered, and one was actually broken(due to oil, I'm guessing).
After that realization I vented to atmosphere. There is a little valley going to the bottom of the car right by where my catch can was installed. Put a little KN filter at the end of the hose and closed off everything else.

The N52 engine doesn't created much vacuum anyway and with the supercharger kit, it produces absolutely none where the hose was connected. ( I checked with a vacuum gauge) It does create a small amount of vacuum at the manifold, but not pre supercharger. So I figured it was useless to have it go back into the intake system. Haven't had any problems yet.
      06-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdutch513 View Post
Quote:

Quote:
For one I wouldn't like to get my manifold full of oil after thoroughly cleaning it. I've read disas don't like oil either.
This. I pulled my intake manifold off to troubleshoot a misfire. There was like 10 ounces of oil in the manifold and the DISA valves were covered, and one was actually broken(due to oil, I'm guessing).
After that realization I vented to atmosphere. There is a little valley going to the bottom of the car right by where my catch can was installed. Put a little KN filter at the end of the hose and closed off everything else.

The N52 engine doesn't created much vacuum anyway and with the supercharger kit, it produces absolutely none where the hose was connected. ( I checked with a vacuum gauge) It does create a small amount of vacuum at the manifold, but not pre supercharger. So I figured it was useless to have it go back into the intake system. Haven't had any problems yet.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Do you have pictures of your setup? I'm currently looking at what to use to close off holes in the intake aswell as probably removing the pcv heater idk if to leave it disconnected
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 05:46 PM   #10
Cdutch513
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 BMW 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Do you have pictures of your setup? I'm currently looking at what to use to close off holes in the intake aswell as probably removing the pcv heater idk if to leave it disconnected
I don't. It was all disconnected for the supercharger install.
Just follow the PCV tubing and you can disconnect and remove everything in that path.
      06-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #11
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Following the pcv piping and plugging the holes in the manifold I've encountered this entry into the neck where the throttle body mounts on my 3 stage manifold. Where does it go? I haven't checked on my 328i so idk if it even has it but it seems like some kind of drain, wonder if it goes down to the oil pan or something. It seems to have some electric actuator.
Can't find it on realoem
This is a picture I found online of the same thing
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:01 AM   #12
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Following the pcv piping and plugging the holes in the manifold I've encountered this entry into the neck where the throttle body mounts on my 3 stage manifold. Where does it go? I haven't checked on my 328i so idk if it even has it but it seems like some kind of drain, wonder if it goes down to the oil pan or something. It seems to have some electric actuator.
Can't find it on realoem
This is a picture I found online of the same thing
That is the fuel tank vent.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #13
dwashy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

N52 Catch Can Setup

Here's my catch can setup on my N52. I completely removed the CCV system about 30k miles ago and have been running this since. I plugged the return line hole at bottom of engine, and just run a line from my valve cover to the catch can, then the catch can to the intake manifold (any other extra holes I plugged up)

I need to replace the lines I have with heater hose, get a better solution for connecting to the valve cover, and a better catch can mount, but this works. Forgive the dirty ass engine bay
Attached Images

N52 | +1mm MILVs | Catless | 3-Stage IM | BPC Tune | 3.64 diff | AirLift Performance 3H | M3 Control Arms | SPL Parts BumpSteer Correction | UUC Evo 3 Shifter | CCV Delete | Valeo SMF Flywheel | CSF Aluminum Rad | VAC Front Hub Extenders | BMS Cowl Filter Delete
Appreciate 1
CDirks135.00
      06-25-2020, 12:21 PM   #14
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Those hoses are sketchy. Fuel line might work too - something rated to be in contact with oils or solvents.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #15
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Currently at LKQ the junkyard right now and looking at this piping. It seems it goes to the shiny vacuum hose which i can't see where it plugs into. And Then connects to the nipple after the throttle body on the intake manifold. This pcv system has a lot more crap than I expected.

I think I should leave this hose alone since it seems it provides vacuum for some other system and isn't part of the PCV
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #16
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think that line goes to the AT. It doesn't exist on the MT cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 06:27 PM   #17
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Completely missed Big's comment on this but it is indeed the fuel tank breather connection with the valve, checked it on my car and looked up the PNs. Will be leaving that on there
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:36 PM   #18
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudVlad View Post
Does the N53 have DISA from factory? I wish they sold them in US.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 01:22 AM   #19
BudVlad
Old Geezer
Czech_Republic
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soravia View Post
Does the N53 have DISA from factory? I wish they sold them in US.
330i has DISA from factory, 325i doesn’t.
My maximum output (297 PS) was without DISA with N54 intake manifold and Supersprint headers.

Last edited by BudVlad; 06-28-2020 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:22 PM   #20
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashy View Post
Here's my catch can setup on my N52. I completely removed the CCV system about 30k miles ago and have been running this since. I plugged the return line hole at bottom of engine, and just run a line from my valve cover to the catch can, then the catch can to the intake manifold (any other extra holes I plugged up)
You have magnesium valve cover, which means the OEM CCV is outside of the valve cover. And that also means you replaced a well designed cyclone separator catch can that doesn't require emptying since it drips down to oil pan, which is the OEM CCV you by passed, with a catch can of lower tech that requires you to monitor regularly and empty. In the process you lost the PCV functionality that is provided by the OEM CCV.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:45 PM   #21
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
I think it's a rather useless system save for emissions requirements which we don't have in Florida.
Even lawn mower engines do not vent crankcase to atmosphere, they route it back to intake.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:47 PM   #22
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
You have magnesium valve cover, which means the OEM CCV is outside of the valve cover. And that also means you replaced a well designed cyclone separator catch can that doesn't require emptying since it drips down to oil pan, which is the OEM CCV you by passed, with a catch can of lower tech that requires you to monitor regularly and empty. In the process you lost the PCV functionality that is provided by the OEM CCV.
Yep.

Manual knobs on automatic shifters. Useless oil coolers that leak and make the oil hotter. Garden hose used to hack in a catch can that's worse than the stock solution. E36 syndrome has finally hit the E90.
Appreciate 0