E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > How can I downgrade from EPS to Logic7?

08-12-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

How can I downgrade from EPS to Logic7?

As the title states, I have EPS/Individual Audio and do not like it at all. I'd like to have Logic7 back like I had in my old car. As I understand it, both use the same connector and utilize the MOST ring. I've heard that EPS speakers are vastly superior to Logic7 speakers so I don't mind keeping my speakers if that will work but I want the Logic7 amp/processor rather than the dirac/EPS. Is it a simple matter of swapping amplifiers and coding the head unit for Logic7? I would happily swap to Logic7 speakers as well if this is still feasibly doable. Please let me know if you have any insight on this. Also, I'd be interested in trading equipment if someone else prefers the EPS. It is certainly crisp and powerful, but the sound is not for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I believe the amps are interchangable as one of the more
popular BMW aftermarket online places offers the EPS amp
as plug and play upgrade.
Although I haven't heard the EPS is has more power so I can't
see why you would want to do this.
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251662.00
      08-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
As the title states, I have EPS/Individual Audio and do not like it at all. I'd like to have Logic7 back like I had in my old car. As I understand it, both use the same connector and utilize the MOST ring. I've heard that EPS speakers are vastly superior to Logic7 speakers so I don't mind keeping my speakers if that will work but I want the Logic7 amp/processor rather than the dirac/EPS. Is it a simple matter of swapping amplifiers and coding the head unit for Logic7? I would happily swap to Logic7 speakers as well if this is still feasibly doable. Please let me know if you have any insight on this. Also, I'd be interested in trading equipment if someone else prefers the EPS. It is certainly crisp and powerful, but the sound is not for me.
You would probably want to replace the amp and the subs with logic 7 variants. People doing NBT Evo retrofits would love your subs. They are 8ohms and pair well with the F series amp.
Appreciate 2
whyzee1251662.00
Ali-E90378.50
      08-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
The logic 7 amp will have a hard time driving the EPS speakers
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251662.00
      08-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #5
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for the responses! I've been confused about whether the EPS speakers would work with the Logic7 amp and it seems like it would be best to just convert the whole system to Logic7. I found one person who is interested in doing the swap with me so all the info I can get would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:35 PM   #6
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
I believe the amps are interchangable as one of the more
popular BMW aftermarket online places offers the EPS amp
as plug and play upgrade.
Although I haven't heard the EPS is has more power so I can't
see why you would want to do this.
Would you mind PMing me the place you're talking about? The EPS isn't a bad system and is super crisp but they sound very different and I prefer the Logic7.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:35 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the responses! I've been confused about whether the EPS speakers would work with the Logic7 amp and it seems like it would be best to just convert the whole system to Logic7. I found one person who is interested in doing the swap with me so all the info I can get would be awesome!
Personally, if you had the $$$, I'd just gut the entire system but keep the EPS speakers. Probably get rid of the EPS sub's under the seats.

There are surround sound processors and amps out now that are far superior to the logic 7 amp.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #8
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Simply swap all the speakers and the amp with that of a Logic 7 setup, the code your amp and head unit for 676.

Very easy, all plug and play.

FYI I'm selling my L7 amp and underseat subs as I completed my EPS retrofit

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 10:21 PM   #9
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
You would probably want to replace the amp and the subs with logic 7 variants. People doing NBT Evo retrofits would love your subs. They are 8ohms and pair well with the F series amp.
Which F series amps would you recommend? I picked up an EPS amp to drive my EPS speakers, and I noticed the L7 amp was very subpar in driving the subs due to the impedance.

I wouldn't mind grabbing an F series spec amp if it's actually an upgrade from the EPS one.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 05:31 AM   #10
Damaskus325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328ix sport package

As stated you may want to just gut the entire system and source a set of good speakers and head unit and tune it yourself. I got rid of everything in my Hifi system and tried the EPS speakers and the Logic 7 with my amp and deck. Didn't like them at all. I have an Alpine single din deck and Focal speakers, with a Boston Acoustics sub in the trunk. Once I find some Focal underseats for true midbass I will be golden. If you had Idrive then you are probably doing the best for your system with the Logic 7 speakers and amp. You could keep the EPS stuff and get a sound processor I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 07:00 AM   #11
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I'll +1 what others are saying. The EPS drivers are good quality parts, it's likely the processing in the EPS sysyem that you don't like. Just swapping amps for an L7 may not work simply because the impedance and frequency response of the EPS/L7 drivers will be different, so whatever processing is happening in the L7 amp will likely not be good for the EPS drivers. Might be worth it to try and see what happens if you're going to swap anyway, try just the amp, first.

And if you're a tweaker or would like to get more involved, like others have stated, keeping the EPS drivers and going aftermarket with the processing and amplification could result in a great system. This takes quite a bit(lot) of work, though, tuning and dialing everything in.
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251662.00
      08-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #12
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Anyone ever done something like this? Is the coding simple?

Looks like I may have a few more speakers than the later HK systems but fairly similar setup. I have a guy who's interested in doing the swap with me and I'm very interested but a little hesitant to tear into my car since he's not local and I can't find much info regarding this swap.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Also, yes the EPS speakers are great and with aftermarket sound could blow both systems out of the water but I don't have the experience to do it myself or the motivation to justify spending that kind of money when I was perfectly happy with how the Logic 7 sounded in my old car (and even in my Range Rover which is not as good a L7 setup as the e90s have).
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #13
Paliator
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

From what I've looked up, the coding is simple. I am just curious if it is truly plug and play downgrading to logic 7, and upgrading from logic 7 to EPS
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #14
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Simply swap all the speakers and the amp with that of a Logic 7 setup, the code your amp and head unit for 676.

Very easy, all plug and play.

FYI I'm selling my L7 amp and underseat subs as I completed my EPS retrofit
Thanks for the reply! Do I need the harness too? It seems like there are 3 versions of the EPS amp but just one for the Logic7. I'm not sure which of the EPS amps was plug and play with the Logic7. I really want to do this swap though, I miss the Logic7 so much.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:52 PM   #15
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I think you are getting way confused.
If you recode to 676 you would have to use aftermarket amps.
You can put together something that is way superior
to logic 7 doing this.
The BMW amps aren't all that good compared to aftermarket stuff.
But not bottom basement aftermarket stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #16
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
I think you are getting way confused.
If you recode to 676 you would have to use aftermarket amps.
You can put together something that is way superior
to logic 7 doing this.
The BMW amps aren't all that good compared to aftermarket stuff.
But not bottom basement aftermarket stuff.
I know I can go aftermarket but I don't know a lot about setting this stuff up and it seems like a lot more work. I was 100% satisfied with my old e90's Logic7 with BSW speakers and never got bored of the sound in the years I owned it. I really don't like the EPS and it seems like that would be a fairly easy and a fairly cheap conversion but the info is obviously lacking a bit since this isn't a common "downgrade."

I wasn't looking to recode to HiFi as I'm familiar with that route. I just want a factory Logic7 amp and plan to use the BSW speakers again.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 11:32 PM   #17
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Do I need the harness too? It seems like there are 3 versions of the EPS amp but just one for the Logic7. I'm not sure which of the EPS amps was plug and play with the Logic7. I really want to do this swap though, I miss the Logic7 so much.
No harness, an E9X L7 amp is PnP with any E9X that has an EPS amp.

Appreciate 1
whyzee1251662.00
      07-28-2020, 02:00 AM   #18
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Before you do anything, turn off the surround setting in your head unit. There is a huge difference between the logic 7 and the eps with the surround on. The eps surround setting is garbage. With it off the system sounds amazing!
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #19
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
No harness, an E9X L7 amp is PnP with any E9X that has an EPS amp.
Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Before you do anything, turn off the surround setting in your head unit. There is a huge difference between the logic 7 and the eps with the surround on. The eps surround setting is garbage. With it off the system sounds amazing!
I have tried this a while back but I'll give it another shot before ditching it. I obviously would love to be happy with the system I have and I have the EQ as good as I can get it. I'll report back
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 11:40 PM   #20
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Thanks so much!

I have tried this a while back but I'll give it another shot before ditching it. I obviously would love to be happy with the system I have and I have the EQ as good as I can get it. I'll report back
the second thing is not adjust treble and bass in common headunit menu(this will be done by CIC software processing), put them in the middle and do that only thru EQ menu (this will be done using AMP processor and include road noise compensation
      08-05-2020, 09:40 AM   #21
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

You can code the DRIAC out too.

Just a few things

1: there are 2x EPS amps, 1 for convertibles and one for everything else. (its all coding after that)

The convertibles get a less powerful amp.

2: there are 2 version of connectors for EPS amps, old and new

All old shape EPS amps (combined power/speaker connector) and L7 amps are interchangeable, just select the correct option in the cic/ccc (you can change the code in the cars FA/VO), but it will work regardless.

Going from EPS to L7 will work fine, except the subs as they will need a bit more power to operate well.

Using the EPS speakers in the doors, shelf and dash will work without a problem.

Things I have noticed,:-

A: Surround is poor
B: DRIAC does not make a big difference either way (not to my ears).

Update the amp firmware to the latest, this makes a difference.

Use the eq to set it up.

I have heard both and IMHO the EPS is a better system for reproduction of the audio source, the L7 is good, but the EPS is better.

P.S

Good info about the Bass/trebble setting (I didnt know that), everyday is a school day.!!

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #22
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
You can code the DRIAC out too.

Just a few things

1: there are 2x EPS amps, 1 for convertibles and one for everything else. (its all coding after that)

The convertibles get a less powerful amp.

2: there are 2 version of connectors for EPS amps, old and new

All old shape EPS amps (combined power/speaker connector) and L7 amps are interchangeable, just select the correct option in the cic/ccc (you can change the code in the cars FA/VO), but it will work regardless.

Going from EPS to L7 will work fine, except the subs as they will need a bit more power to operate well.

Using the EPS speakers in the doors, shelf and dash will work without a problem.

Things I have noticed,:-

A: Surround is poor
B: DRIAC does not make a big difference either way (not to my ears).

Update the amp firmware to the latest, this makes a difference.

Use the eq to set it up.

I have heard both and IMHO the EPS is a better system for reproduction of the audio source, the L7 is good, but the EPS is better.

P.S

Good info about the Bass/trebble setting (I didnt know that), everyday is a school day.!!
This is excellent info, thank you so much! I'm curious now that you mentioned leaving the EPS speakers--have you done this? Do the EPS speakers sound similar to the L7 speakers when paired with the L7 amp?

I agree on the surround sound comments. I turned it off this week and can't really tell a difference. The EPS isn't an awful system but sounds vastly different from the L7 and I strongly prefer the L7.
Appreciate 0