E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Annoying Vibration/Buzz

03-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
Poosik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Annoying Vibration/Buzz

So "d" has recently developed a VERY annoying buzz/rattle that almost sounds like it "hums" from front left dash.- its actually rather loud and my passengers notice

I have found it difficult to isolate and replicate but it appears to get triggered and resonates at a certain engine RPM (1300- 2000) and vehicle speed (5-50mph). I can also sometimes trigger the humm/vibration at low parking lot speeds if I get the RPM just right.

After weeks of searching forums without resolve, maybe you guys can help.

So far i ruled out its not my hood by actually pulling the hood lever while driving and i can still hear that very same buzz.
It's not the steering column as I re-adjusted it and the buzz did not change.
Changing angle of vents, their speed, or a/c did not change anything.
Also checked all my plastic covers under the hood, visually inspected hoses, air filter cabin filter.. with no luck

any ideas??
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Have you eliminated any "add-ons" that can be mistaken for a rattle or other noise? The only things that seem to rattle or make noise in my d are not part of the original car. I had a work badge that would buzz and thought it was the A/C outlet or nearby area! It was the spring part of the reel that held the badge! It seems to be a simple common sense thing, but my $.02 would be to remove every possible chachki.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335D

dude i have a similar rattle coming from driver side area somewhere... havent dug into what it could be yet but it comes on at idle a lot. think its there when driving too. ill let you know if i figure mine out
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
NWCT335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I have the same sort of buzz. Sounds like it is coming from the center of the dash in the center channel area above the Nav screen. It will develop eventually while driving and will then be there after a long drive when idling. It is quite loud.

I have plans to try to remove the center channel trim and check there.

It may also be outside temperature dependent. When it is a bit warmer (than the ice box winter we have been having) it doesn't seem to happen. Could be an expanding/contracting thing.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Poosik
Private First Class
Rep

yeah that's a good word for it "DEVELOPS"

when starting the drive it dead quite, every single time. Then the buzzing rattle just starts, and after it does it seems NOT to go away until i turn the car off.
how can this make sense?

maybe its related to cooling fans kicking on?

this is really terribly annoying, my car is a CPO 2009 with 27kmiles

I have never pulled a dash apart on a car, but this is really motivating me to learn and do it
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
Poosik
Private First Class
Rep

Will my CPO cover dealer cost to eliminate this rattle?
I had the car less then 3 months??
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
TorqueAddict
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340i - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poosik View Post
So "d" has recently developed a VERY annoying buzz/rattle that almost sounds like it "hums" from front left dash.- its actually rather loud and my passengers notice

I have found it difficult to isolate and replicate but it appears to get triggered and resonates at a certain engine RPM (1300- 2000) and vehicle speed (5-50mph). I can also sometimes trigger the humm/vibration at low parking lot speeds if I get the RPM just right.

After weeks of searching forums without resolve, maybe you guys can help.

So far i ruled out its not my hood by actually pulling the hood lever while driving and i can still hear that very same buzz.
It's not the steering column as I re-adjusted it and the buzz did not change.
Changing angle of vents, their speed, or a/c did not change anything.
Also checked all my plastic covers under the hood, visually inspected hoses, air filter cabin filter.. with no luck

any ideas??
I am facing the same EXACT issue. the rattle is VERY prominent around 1000-1300rpm and is not present at high speeds. i can sometimes re-produce the noise while parked at an incline. It seems to come from the center of the dash, just behind the centre speaker grill. Its so annoying
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
Poosik
Private First Class
Rep

how long did you have that buzz/rattle?
its surprising many owners can tolerate this...
whats the best way to approach this with the dealer? have the tech ride with me to make sure he "hears it"?

i will attempt to resolve this issue over the next several days, hopefully there will be a solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:40 PM   #9
TorqueAddict
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
how long did you have that buzz/rattle?
its surprising many owners can tolerate this...
whats the best way to approach this with the dealer? have the tech ride with me to make sure he "hears it"?

i will attempt to resolve this issue over the next several days, hopefully there will be a solution.
it's been there for almost 2 months now. I have had a BMW "master tech" from Budd's BMW take a drive along with me. He says that it could be anything. He also pointed out the engine mountings are vacuum controlled and the vac line may be frayed/cut. I also did had an appointment scheduled with them regarding the same issue in the past, but those stupid guys took my car in, and at the end of the day i find out that they have not even touched it!! I was pissed off!

Last edited by TorqueAddict; 03-11-2014 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: correction
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:58 PM   #10
Poosik
Private First Class
Rep

$hit that sucks
i think there are really 2 options for me: 1- attempt to pressure the bmw dealer where car was purchased to at least take it apart
option 2- take it to a independent shop and pay $$

did anything happen prior to the rattle starting?
like engine cover removal or any other service?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
Poosik
Private First Class
Rep

335d Rattle fixed!!

Rattle turned out to be a vibrating engine cover.
After taking it off and inspecting the under side- the heat/sound resistant foam was all folded up on itself. In other words, the foam was exposing much of the plastic that was causing a rattle.

After taking cover off, i drove for a WHILE with NO rattles. For now the engine cover is OFF while im going to un-fold the crumpled foam and hot glue it back to the engine cover.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
TorqueAddict
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Rattle turned out to be a vibrating engine cover.
After taking it off and inspecting the under side- the heat/sound resistant foam was all folded up on itself. In other words, the foam was exposing much of the plastic that was causing a rattle.

After taking cover off, i drove for a WHILE with NO rattles. For now the engine cover is OFF while im going to un-fold the crumpled foam and hot glue it back to the engine cover.
Good Find, that is what i suspect might be happening in my case as i have taken the cover off numerous times. Too bad that i cannot inspect mine due to the shitty weather :/

Did you take the rear engine cover off as well?

EDIT: Would you mind posting a few pictures of the location where the foam was messed up from? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #13
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Ages ago I remember the round plug over the oil filter was vibrating. You can wedge something in so that it will stop the vibrating. I have lost the plug since then, so that solved that problem.

You have to be careful removing the engine cover, if you miss a rear bolt you can break to plastic cover and it will probably always vibrate there since it can no longer be secured properly.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.

Last edited by Quasimodem; 03-12-2014 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #14
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Interesting comment about the engine cover bolt. I have never put the rearmost bolt (closest to the driver) back on after installing the JBD. Too much trouble. Once in a while I can hear a rattle that sounds like the dash. Maybe it's the engine cover. Have been thinking about installing an M3 cowling to replace the OEM cowling. A side effect is it makes the rearmost bolt accessible.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #15
Poosik
Private First Class
Rep

Just came back from a 300mile trip with the engine cover off.
And I want to confirm 99 % that the perceived dash rattle was actually the engine cover rattling.
The car is dead quiet now.
I'll post a pic of my cover but its already all glued back to normal. I'll do a quick photo shot to show you where the foam folded over on itself. It was very clear to see when I took it off.
I hope this "fix" yields results for you guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #16
TorqueAddict
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

That will be helpful poosik, Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #17
Poosik
Private First Class
Rep

hope this helps
once cover was off, it was very easy to see what the problem was.
good luck
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #18
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Why did I read this thread. Because now I hear a vibrating sound coming from the same area as you... I've been jinxed lol
      03-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #19
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335D

i havent had my engine cover on car for over a year so thats not my rattle
Appreciate 0