E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Meth tank change recommendations

07-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A dream

Meth tank change recommendations

Hey gang, in the midst of a BEF from Trebila and having some slight issues with meth flow. Current setup is running fluid from WW tank but think WW pump is restricting flow and or some how allowing air in lines, though I've checked thoroughly and haven't seen any leaks.

So going to install a trunk tank and run the line to the pump. I'd like a tank that sits behind the driver's rear tire in the trunk. I was thinking of getting the Devil's Own 4Qt or sumped 2.25 but not sure it's worth it.

Other than the tank and line, what else would I need? Anything? I'm guessing some kind of fitting for the tank?

Sorry for the ignorance but appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybutts View Post
Hey gang, in the midst of a BEF from Trebila and having some slight issues with meth flow. Current setup is running fluid from WW tank but think WW pump is restricting flow and or some how allowing air in lines, though I've checked thoroughly and haven't seen any leaks.

So going to install a trunk tank and run the line to the pump. I'd like a tank that sits behind the driver's rear tire in the trunk. I was thinking of getting the Devil's Own 4Qt or sumped 2.25 but not sure it's worth it.

Other than the tank and line, what else would I need? Anything? I'm guessing some kind of fitting for the tank?

Sorry for the ignorance but appreciate the help!
First and foremost, get rid of that setup ASAP. It's a complete basket case fire hazard.

Tank, bulkhead fitting, lines. The size is personal preference.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Yeah get rid of that WW ASAP.

Just buy a good quality meth tank. It is a shame Howerton Engineering stopped offering them. Probably the best tank I have ever seen. If you can find one used pick one up.

Use filters and compression fittings. I don't trust push lock and I have used them in many commercial & industrial applications.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #4
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys, I ended up getting a ProMeth tank and will run a new meth line to the pump.

The WW setup has been great for years in my car (the previous owner and I using it for at least 7 years) but I do understand and agree it is completely safer to have the new setup.

I'm going to shorten the leads from the solenoid to the nozzles as well. The last two days I've been getting stats of 75% meth flow at WOT so I'm quite certain everything else in the system is functioning properly.

Will report back when items come in!

Also, I did order the push lock fitting in the tank and also a push lock Y for between the solenoid and nozzles.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybutts View Post
Thanks guys, I ended up getting a ProMeth tank and will run a new meth line to the pump.

The WW setup has been great for years in my car (the previous owner and I using it for at least 7 years) but I do understand and agree it is completely safer to have the new setup.

I'm going to shorten the leads from the solenoid to the nozzles as well. The last two days I've been getting stats of 75% meth flow at WOT so I'm quite certain everything else in the system is functioning properly.

Will report back when items come in!

Also, I did order the push lock fitting in the tank and also a push lock Y for between the solenoid and nozzles.
The problem with the WW tank is it can't handle the corrosion of the methanol. So it leaks at the pumps AND/OR you get vapor lock and the cap pops open, dumping methanol. There are also some other anomalies that go into the risk of the WW. Consider yourself lucky you went that long. Others lost their vehicles within a few months of use.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
The problem with the WW tank is it can't handle the corrosion of the methanol. So it leaks at the pumps AND/OR you get vapor lock and the cap pops open, dumping methanol. There are also some other anomalies that go into the risk of the WW. Consider yourself lucky you went that long. Others lost their vehicles within a few months of use.
Thanks Jeff. I'm glad nothing has happened and that I am changing it up to a safer and better performing system.
Appreciate 0