E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Good Overall iPod Solution

11-23-2006, 03:47 PM   #67
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thumbs up

Been meaning to post this for a while, but for those interested in using the airclick, I've found it to be more than satisfactory. Only thing I didn't like was the color which completely clashed with the black aluminum interior.

Amazing what a quick coat of black spray paint will do!
Attached Images

11-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #68
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

very kool

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2006, 10:08 AM   #69
ernio1
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

Ipod Add on with XM Add on

The Ipod is connected using a "Flexible Dock" the link is

http://www.tentechnology.com/product...exibledock.php

The Ipod attaches to the lighter socket via a flexible arm which will keep it charged. The line input is just below the arm where it is plugged into the lighter.

The Samsung Nexus dock fits nestles perfectly between the bottom of the ashtray and the dash. I just put a little bit of velcro on the top to keep it in place.

The only thing...I have to manually unplug and plug the line in-cable when I want to listen to one or the other.

This installation makes it easy to remove and replace the Ipod/XM

Some people may not like the way it looks. I think it looks kinda cool.

Ernie.Name:  E90 Ipod-XM.jpg
Views: 2083
Size:  75.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #70
muzeon
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 e90 M3,'71Fiat500,'64 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by marano
I just started using the low profile Monster iCarCharger and the Scosche iPod Nano RF Remote and it seems like a decent solution. The small remote lets you move back and forth between songs, pause, control the iPod's volume, shuffle and lets you switch playlists.

I have a video iPod and the Airclick wouldn't work with the Monster Low Profile charger, as the Airclick has no dock connector pass through. Wonder if this Scosche RF Remote dock connector has a pass through, so I can also hook up the Monster Charger's dock connector? Any ideas? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #71
e90kid
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 325i, Jaguar s-type R

Garage List
2008 328xi  [0.00]
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
2004 Jaguar s-type R  [0.00]
why havent any of u guys used the harmon kordon drive and play...... i have it in my car and it works great it look great and u dont see the ipod or any wires, just the LCD screen and controller.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2006, 01:47 AM   #72
850CSi
16 years and counting...
Rep
Drives: '06 325i 6MT

Here's probably one of the cheapest and best solutions (at least IMO).

SiK Ram Din. I still haven't bought a charger, but I don't really need it. I can't keep my iPod in my car anyways because I don't have the luxury of a garage (and cold temps mess with the battery).

And yes, it does close right over the cables.
      12-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #73
muzeon
Private
Rep

Thanks ernio1 for leading me to this dicovery... for those of you who have the new iPods with only the dock connection, try this product:

http://store.tentechnology.com/naaddorecofo.html

It charges, has a line out, and has a remote controller all at the same time!!! I'm gonna return my Monster Cable iClick to the Apple store and wait until this is early next year... January?

Cos currently I have Monster Cable low profile charger and iClick (Monster also), but since both uses the dock, and my iPod is the new version, I can only use one thing at a time.

Hope it'll be release on time.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2006, 12:10 PM   #74
Paul0521
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzeon
Thanks ernio1 for leading me to this dicovery... for those of you who have the new iPods with only the dock connection, try this product:

http://store.tentechnology.com/naaddorecofo.html

It charges, has a line out, and has a remote controller all at the same time!!! I'm gonna return my Monster Cable iClick to the Apple store and wait until this is early next year... January?

Cos currently I have Monster Cable low profile charger and iClick (Monster also), but since both uses the dock, and my iPod is the new version, I can only use one thing at a time.

Hope it'll be release on time.
This looks like a pretty good solution. Where did you hear that availability would be early next year? Trying to decide if I should wait.

Thx,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2006, 12:51 PM   #75
muzeon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul0521
This looks like a pretty good solution. Where did you hear that availability would be early next year? Trying to decide if I should wait.

Thx,

Paul

I called them. But I think I need to call again, just to be sure I heard it correct -- Jan or Feb.

I did order the Flexi Dock from them on Thurs for a X'mas gift, and I received it on Saturday! Really prompt service!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #76
Paul0521
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I called them. But I think I need to call again, just to be sure I heard it correct -- Jan or Feb.

I did order the Flexi Dock from them on Thurs for a X'mas gift, and I received it on Saturday! Really prompt service!
Thanks - could you please let us know what they say?

I may just go for the Flexi Dock if the new one is too far out - The remote is kind of cool, but I am sure that I can live without it, especially if it means that I need to wait a couple of months.

Does the Flexi Dock come with the cable to connect to the car's AUX port, or does that need to be purchased separately?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2006, 01:49 PM   #77
rlc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
I think these guys have a products http://abtech2.com/ and is available now. I got the iPod adapter but I used their remote before I did and was impressed with the quality.

The RF signal is stronger (up to 150 ft.) and one of the products has a remote with track info display ($99 list). There is also a 30-pin connector passthrough on all their new remotes that allows connection of other chargers such as the Monster. Best of all you can keep the iPod out of sight in the console, so no clutter.
      12-18-2006, 02:09 PM   #78
Paul0521
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc
I think these guys have a products http://abtech2.com/ and is available now. I got the iPod adapter but I used their remote before I did and was impressed with the quality.

The RF signal is stronger (up to 150 ft.) and one of the products has a remote with track info display ($99 list). There is also a 30-pin connector passthrough on all their new remotes that allows connection of other chargers such as the Monster. Best of all you can keep the iPod out of sight in the console, so no clutter.
Yes, I saw that one - it looked pretty good, but I couldn't tell from their website how it connected to power and the AUX connector. Do you know exactly how the thing is attached?

Thx,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2006, 04:03 PM   #79
ahaxton
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Titanium Silver 328i

Ok I may be a bit confused. Now with the whole new ipod thing only having usb and a headphone one, what was with the older one? Had usb, line out and a headphone so you could plug in both a wireless controller and into the bmw?

but because theres only a headphone and no line out you dont have an extra place to put something extra like the controller?

so the new ipods work if you don't want to use a controller right?
patch cable from bmw to the charger and boom right?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2006, 06:06 PM   #80
muzeon
Private
Rep

Re: Ten Technology with their NaviDock. I called them this morning and left a message, still awaiting reply.

Then I saw ric's post of http://abtech2.com/ I called them about the iJet remote... it does have a passthrough!!!

So I'm gonna order it ASAP, since the NaviDock is still awhile away, plus without the flex neck of the NaviDock, the iJet is less clutter in my armrest compartment -- well hidden away.

Thanks ric! I'll test of the iJet in conjunction with my Monster car charger, and hope the sound quality is just as good with the pass through!

Although I wish the iJet remote comes with a velcro strap, so I can strap the remote to my hand brake... oh well DIY time.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2006, 06:13 PM   #81
muzeon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaxton
Ok I may be a bit confused. Now with the whole new ipod thing only having usb and a headphone one, what was with the older one? Had usb, line out and a headphone so you could plug in both a wireless controller and into the bmw?

but because theres only a headphone and no line out you dont have an extra place to put something extra like the controller?

so the new ipods work if you don't want to use a controller right?
patch cable from bmw to the charger and boom right?

Besides having the 30-pin dock at the bottom, the older iPod has a 9-pin connector at the top, next to the headphones. With this, products like earlier mentioned Belkin iClick remote will work, and you get to use the Monster charger.

The new iPod only has a 30-pin dock and a headphones out. No idea why Apple removed the 9-pin. So earlier I was trying to find a product that charges and has a remote either through 1 same dock adapter, or having 2 dock adapter products by hooking up with a passthrough.

The NaviDock and the iJet both works in this scenario. Although iJet is now available.

With the iJet, I would think you hook up the iJet to the iPod first, then hook up the Monster charger via the iJet's passthrough. Then plug in the line out from the Monster charger to the BMW aux in. This manner, you get remote, power, and line out.

$0.02 worth, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2006, 01:12 AM   #82
sobek305
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxx

Quote:
I have a video iPod and the Airclick wouldn't work with the Monster Low Profile charger, as the Airclick has no dock connector pass through. Wonder if this Scosche RF Remote dock connector has a pass through, so I can also hook up the Monster Charger's dock connector? Any ideas? Thanks!
the airclick for the ipod mini has the connector on top where the headphone jack on the ipod is and i believe it will work on a big ipod, not sure about the nano.. heres the link
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/

I bought one on ebay for $16 shipped, hope this helps...you can even spray painted black like Gripster a couple of posts up ^^^^
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2006, 01:16 AM   #83
ahaxton
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Titanium Silver 328i

Quote:
Besides having the 30-pin dock at the bottom, the older iPod has a 9-pin connector at the top, next to the headphones. With this, products like earlier mentioned Belkin iClick remote will work, and you get to use the Monster charger.

The new iPod only has a 30-pin dock and a headphones out. No idea why Apple removed the 9-pin. So earlier I was trying to find a product that charges and has a remote either through 1 same dock adapter, or having 2 dock adapter products by hooking up with a passthrough.

The NaviDock and the iJet both works in this scenario. Although iJet is now available.

With the iJet, I would think you hook up the iJet to the iPod first, then hook up the Monster charger via the iJet's passthrough. Then plug in the line out from the Monster charger to the BMW aux in. This manner, you get remote, power, and line out.

$0.02 worth, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The only ipod I guess that cant use the monster is the shuffle since it doesnt use that usb connector that I see in the pics of the monster.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2006, 01:17 AM   #84
sobek305
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxx

Quote:
Re: Ten Technology with their NaviDock. I called them this morning and left a message, still awaiting reply.

Then I saw ric's post of http://abtech2.com/ I called them about the iJet remote... it does have a passthrough!!!

So I'm gonna order it ASAP, since the NaviDock is still awhile away, plus without the flex neck of the NaviDock, the iJet is less clutter in my armrest compartment -- well hidden away.

Thanks ric! I'll test of the iJet in conjunction with my Monster car charger, and hope the sound quality is just as good with the pass through!

Although I wish the iJet remote comes with a velcro strap, so I can strap the remote to my hand brake... oh well DIY time.
let us know, I wonder if the ijet dock has a mini amp or some crap that will diminish sound quality, i like the lcd screen
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2006, 01:58 AM   #85
rlc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul0521
Yes, I saw that one - it looked pretty good, but I couldn't tell from their website how it connected to power and the AUX connector. Do you know exactly how the thing is attached?

Thx,

Paul
You would connect it the same way you connect whichever charger you currently have (i.e. Monster Charger). You are just adding a remote transmitter to the setup. The remote transmitter has a passthrough so you plug the remote transmitter into the docking port on the iPod and then your charger plugs into the docking port on the bottom of the iJet. I've never used the remote with a display but I have talked to two people who have and they liked it very much.
      12-19-2006, 02:02 AM   #86
rlc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobek305
let us know, I wonder if the ijet dock has a mini amp or some crap that will diminish sound quality, i like the lcd screen
I do not think so. It is just a transmitter for the remote.
      12-19-2006, 11:22 AM   #87
muzeon
Private
Rep

Quote:

Sure I will post an update re: sound, maybe I'll get it this week? But I don't have my 335i right now... it's still in the bodyshop. Got hit by someone at a parking lot 2 weeks ago. The bodyshop is trying to get it done before X'mas... it'll be like having the car delivered again! Still have 500 miles before the 1000miles break-in period.

BTW the iJet I ordered does not have the LCD screen. I just got the regular one with the 5 button only remote. I did call the manufacturer and he said that it has a pass through also... hope he's right.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #88
muzeon
Private
Rep

Quote:
the airclick for the ipod mini has the connector on top where the headphone jack on the ipod is and i believe it will work on a big ipod, not sure about the nano.. heres the link
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/

I bought one on ebay for $16 shipped, hope this helps...you can even spray painted black like Gripster a couple of posts up ^^^^

The new generation iPods does not come with the 9pin gold round connector on the top, next to the headphone jack. They only have the headphone jack at the top and the 30-pin dock at the bottom. So AirClick wouldn't work with the new iPod.
Appreciate 0