E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > MA inspection warning

11-26-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

MA inspection warning

Had issues with my Merc this week, figured a few things out, hopefully it saves someone else some pain.

I had a beta tune on the car and didn't realize they had the O2 monitors turned off. On my 335i I have MHD stage 2+ with the O2 monitor turned off, have always been able to pass as MA allows 1 not ready, so no issues.

Back to the Merc - they now check with the connection to the car if any monitors are turned off that normally should not be turned off. Since I had them off on the Beta tune, they flagged the car as having a tune due to the monitor being disabled. They don't tell the station this, so the station calls, they say maybe something wrong with the registration, I call and get that checked, no issues, call the assistance center they say nothing is wrong, so go back, car won't let the inspection start, went through this 3 times, then they finally referred me to the mac center - guy calls me an hour later and asks if I have a tune, I fess up that I did and he says flash back to stock, bring it in and they will check and unflag the car and then it can be inspected.

So, long story short, you can no longer have any monitors disabled as they will flag the car. You will have to flash back to stock and run a DP fix if you have DP's and you will probably be ok, but don't rely on the one not ready as they know it is disabled and not just not ready. They also claim stock exhaust must be in place, but that is easier to overlook if you get a lax shop, they can't overlook anything the computer does nor can they over ride it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Had issues with my Merc this week, figured a few things out, hopefully it saves someone else some pain.

I had a beta tune on the car and didn't realize they had the O2 monitors turned off. On my 335i I have MHD stage 2+ with the O2 monitor turned off, have always been able to pass as MA allows 1 not ready, so no issues.

Back to the Merc - they now check with the connection to the car if any monitors are turned off that normally should not be turned off. Since I had them off on the Beta tune, they flagged the car as having a tune due to the monitor being disabled. They don't tell the station this, so the station calls, they say maybe something wrong with the registration, I call and get that checked, no issues, call the assistance center they say nothing is wrong, so go back, car won't let the inspection start, went through this 3 times, then they finally referred me to the mac center - guy calls me an hour later and asks if I have a tune, I fess up that I did and he says flash back to stock, bring it in and they will check and unflag the car and then it can be inspected.

So, long story short, you can no longer have any monitors disabled as they will flag the car. You will have to flash back to stock and run a DP fix if you have DP's and you will probably be ok, but don't rely on the one not ready as they know it is disabled and not just not ready. They also claim stock exhaust must be in place, but that is easier to overlook if you get a lax shop, they can't overlook anything the computer does nor can they over ride it.
Fuckers...so now I have to buy a DP fix. Be interesting to hear if other people have this same issue. Any chance it was just that one shop being super anal?

What/where is the MAC center?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #3
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Interesting. Wonder if varies by location, if it could be just due to the full failure of sensors with the Benz or maybe just how the tune was done?

I passed in November, one sensor not ready with MHD Stage 2+. So unless something recently changed...?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Fuckers...so now I have to buy a DP fix. Be interesting to hear if other people have this same issue. Any chance it was just that one shop being super anal?

What/where is the MAC center?
Mac is motorist assistance center, they have a bunch, they check your car and can clear the block in the system.

It isn't just an anal inspection station, same one I have gone to for 20 years, they are good, but have not control over anything once they plug into the OBD port, they can tell if a monitor is disabled that should not be (which most tunes do) and then flag the car and won't let it be inspected until you go to the MAC and show that the car is not illegal.

If you have MHD at least you can turn on the O2 monitors in any tune, but you will need a DPFix to make the monitor ready without primaries.

Anyway, just be careful passed for years with the o2 monitor disabled, but that won't fly it looks like anymore.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
Interesting. Wonder if varies by location, if it could be just due to the full failure of sensors with the Benz or maybe just how the tune was done?

I passed in November, one sensor not ready with MHD Stage 2+. So unless something recently changed...?
Interesting, they told me they could tell the not ready on my benz was due to the monitor being disabled so they knew the difference between not ready because I didn't drive enough and not ready because it was disabled, but sounds like you were ok with the o2's disabled.
Appreciate 0