E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 335xi E90 handling improvement

05-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #45
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmar View Post
Per the website: "No need for preloading, re-greasing, or adjustments."

There's no doubt about the obvious design advantage over that of a poly bushing, but my concern is the price. For the same $$$, I can R&R with Strongflex bushings three times! And that is paying a shop to do it
Yea that's why i did strongflex i paid for bushings took out control arms myself and got them pressed in for like $30
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #46
kegwalker
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335ix (n55) 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN54NITY View Post
Come up to Louisville on 36 and you can drive my car and ~then~ have a beer. See my signature...
Does this offer stand for other Denver area folks? I'm in the same position as the OP and would love to see what others have had success with. Anyone else in Denver up for this? I'll buy a beer afterward.

Not terribly interested in coil overs (from what i've heard, have to spend $1500 or more for a good set). I've never taken mine to the track (would like to, but I'm generally busy on weekends and the closest track is another hour-ish east of Denver). I think it is also too heavy for the track. At least with stock suspension it sure feels heavy and sluggish.

For springs, these are the typical options
H&R - too low and too harsh. Maybe bottoming out.
Eibach - Too low (and potentially spring rate too low too)
RWD OEM sport springs - A few years back, ajsalida and Grinchboy (amongst others) had a few threads about replacing xdrive springs with RWD OEM sport package springs. Xdrive come with i3 code in front and a host of C# (C4, C5, etc) ranges in the back depending on build configuration. A few have researched the RWD matching config (i.e. tranny, sunroof, options) to find a VIN and call BMW to get the OEM sport spring code. They were all D# and GrinchBoy found a D4 front and D6 rear spring to give ~1" drop with identical ride height on an '11 e90 6mt xdrive. However, these remain progressive springs and I believe he went with Dinan eventually due to the roll. They also found that the xdrive springs are higher spring rate than nearly every other option we have.
Dinan - I like the thought of the Dinan, but wish they had fixed the reverse rake on the xdrive. Probably a moot point, because if I change the suspension, it would be to stop the roll, brake dive and acceleration squat. And these will be what I would likely go with.
Not many other options for xdrive springs.

Shocks
B4 - What i replaced my struts/shocks with. Decent, supposedly 10% firmer than stock but to me feel nearly identical
B6 - good, possibly a little harsh. Supposedly preferred more by track drivers. Longer than B8, and typically used for stock suspension height. For RWD sport suspension and anything lower, Bilstein recommends B8.
B8 - Same valving as B6, shorter overall length. However, I've read one post on an xdrive that used these with stock springs to allow full extension of struct to limit roll, dive and squat.
Koni Yellow - probably the best option. Adjustable rebound makes suiting driver preference a little better. Some have used these with stock springs, and while improves the pothole explosion / harshness, and a little with roll/squat/dive.
Koni FSD - ok for DD, but many people complain about the wallowy feeling when the oil passage opens on a big hit.

Some improvement on mine (2011 e90 xdrive 6mt) was ditching runflats. However, some goflats suck too (just took off winter set (michelin x-ice 215/55/17. Yes, ~1.5" taller than stock tire and what I wanted for winter. I live on a county road that is low priority for plowing. These are goflat and the ride SUCKS - remind me of runflat, but are not zero pressure). Probably putting a set of Nokian's on for next winter in 205/55/17.
Summer set 235/45/17 Riken Raptop AS. Love these. Not to mention ~70$ tires! And before anyone questions quality, Riken is Michelin's test brand. Very nice tires.

Combined improvement is lowering unsprung weight. Summer set is Konig flow formed and weigh 17 lbs vs the winter 23lbs + taller heavier tires. Probably 9 lbs difference per wheel is the bigger impact to handling than the tires themselves.

Right, long post but a quick summary of the countless hours of xdrive suspension threads I've read. I'm looking to change too, and have not really made up my mind. I'm still shocked at how the suspension can be so wallowy with roll, dive, squat and still have a harsh pothole impacts.

Last edited by kegwalker; 05-06-2019 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:03 PM   #47
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmar View Post
Per the website: "No need for preloading, re-greasing, or adjustments."

There's no doubt about the obvious design advantage over that of a poly bushing, but my concern is the price. For the same $$$, I can R&R with Strongflex bushings three times! And that is paying a shop to do it
Yea that's why i did strongflex i paid for bushings took out control arms myself and got them pressed in for like $30
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #48
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kegwalker View Post
Does this offer stand for other Denver area folks? I'm in the same position as the OP and would love to see what others have had success with. Anyone else in Denver up for this? I'll buy a beer afterward.

Not terribly interested in coil overs (from what i've heard, have to spend $1500 or more for a good set). I've never taken mine to the track (would like to, but I'm generally busy on weekends and the closest track is another hour-ish east of Denver). I think it is also too heavy for the track. At least with stock suspension it sure feels heavy and sluggish.

For springs, these are the typical options
H&R - too low and too harsh. Maybe bottoming out.
Eibach - Too low (and potentially spring rate too low too)
RWD OEM sport springs - A few years back, ajsalida and Grinchboy (amongst others) had a few threads about replacing xdrive springs with RWD OEM sport package springs. Xdrive come with i3 code in front and a host of C# (C4, C5, etc) ranges in the back depending on build configuration. A few have researched the RWD matching config (i.e. tranny, sunroof, options) to find a VIN and call BMW to get the OEM sport spring code. They were all D# and GrinchBoy found a D4 front and D6 rear spring to give ~1" drop with identical ride height on an '11 e90 6mt xdrive. However, these remain progressive springs and I believe he went with Dinan eventually due to the roll. They also found that the xdrive springs are higher spring rate than nearly every other option we have.
Dinan - I like the thought of the Dinan, but wish they had fixed the reverse rake on the xdrive. Probably a moot point, because if I change the suspension, it would be to stop the roll, brake dive and acceleration squat. And these will be what I would likely go with.
Not many other options for xdrive springs.

Shocks
B4 - What i replaced my struts/shocks with. Decent, supposedly 10% firmer than stock but to me feel nearly identical
B6 - good, possibly a little harsh. Supposedly preferred more by track drivers. Longer than B8, and typically used for stock suspension height. For RWD sport suspension and anything lower, Bilstein recommends B8.
B8 - Same valving as B6, shorter overall length. However, I've read one post on an xdrive that used these with stock springs to allow full extension of struct to limit roll, dive and squat.
Koni Yellow - probably the best option. Adjustable rebound makes suiting driver preference a little better. Some have used these with stock springs, and while improves the pothole explosion / harshness, and a little with roll/squat/dive.
Koni FSD - ok for DD, but many people complain about the wallowy feeling when the oil passage opens on a big hit.

Some improvement on mine (2011 e90 xdrive 6mt) was ditching runflats. However, some goflats suck too (just took off winter set (michelin x-ice 215/55/17. Yes, ~1.5" taller than stock tire and what I wanted for winter. I live on a county road that is low priority for plowing. These are goflat and the ride SUCKS - remind me of runflat, but are not zero pressure). Probably putting a set of Nokian's on for next winter in 205/55/17.
Summer set 235/45/17 Riken Raptop AS. Love these. Not to mention ~70$ tires! And before anyone questions quality, Riken is Michelin's test brand. Very nice tires.

Combined improvement is lowering unsprung weight. Summer set is Konig flow formed and weigh 17 lbs vs the winter 23lbs + taller heavier tires. Probably 9 lbs difference per wheel is the bigger impact to handling than the tires themselves.

Right, long post but a quick summary of the countless hours of xdrive suspension threads I've read. I'm looking to change too, and have not really made up my mind. I'm still shocked at how the suspension can be so wallowy with roll, dive, squat and still have a harsh pothole impacts.
If you're a 6MT owner (and I see that you are), sure. PM or text me 720-three four three-0340.
      10-09-2021, 08:39 AM   #49
putnampunk
Private
Rep
Drives: M3/4/5, E91, LeMons E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Zero added NVH. Great product.
On a xi, I had significant increase in harshness with the Syncro thrust arms. Going over joints or potholes is a lot more dramatic, and on rough surfaces I thought a wheel was loose due to vibrations the first week. I've daily'ed on them for a few years now fine, and also loved how precise they felt at the start compared to the wobbly rubber bushings. But if I did it again, I'd strongly consider Powerflex instead.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #50
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
How does the hydraulic steering feel after these modifications in comparison to the RWD sports pack cars? Is it close?
Appreciate 0