E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Bimmer Geeks Pro Tool

04-30-2019, 11:31 AM   #265
swift_shift
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilopilo View Post
Update on FTM issue.

BG helped me determine something was def messed up and they then logged into my car with my laptop and the standard software for them to figure it out. He said something about about a bug in the Protool software and finally it seemed like it worked. I've the FTM is now on and seems to be working though I guess I don't know until a tire loses air.

BG was helpful, but it did take a number of hours on my side to facilitate sorting it out and it does sting a bit that I'm paying full price (over $200 with the dongle) to help them troubleshoot the software.

I know development can be challenging and customers also, but at the price I paid (that seems to keep going up) some consideration would be nice.

Not sure if the bug is fixed in the software. He sorted it on my car through the standard software.
Any possible way to ask him if this has been fixed via the latest update?

I want to buy pro tools but want to make sure I can safely enable FTM.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #266
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

Anyone try the f series yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #267
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane435 View Post
Had a go in my F48.
Prompted me for a 50+ MB file download.

I can read errors, I can clear them too.
Standard coding doesn't seem to exist or function.
There is a "menu item6" which does nothing when you tap it.
Expert mode is there, but I certainly don't want to fiddle with that
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:29 PM   #268
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesfrager View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane435 View Post
Had a go in my F48.
Prompted me for a 50+ MB file download.

I can read errors, I can clear them too.
Standard coding doesn't seem to exist or function.
There is a "menu item6" which does nothing when you tap it.
Expert mode is there, but I certainly don't want to fiddle with that
Given time they will add a ton for F series. That's what happened after the E series launch. Expert mode is not nearly as intimidating as it seems. I have done a lot with expert mode and have never used other BMW coding programs.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:04 PM   #269
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpc2u View Post
Given time they will add a ton for F series. That's what happened after the E series launch. Expert mode is not nearly as intimidating as it seems. I have done a lot with expert mode and have never used other BMW coding programs.
Would be great if you can post a how-to on the expert mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 06:28 PM   #270
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep

That would be 20+ pages long, and I am no expert on expert, LOL.

It really depends on what you are doing. What module you are coding, is it a VO change, etc. It also varies by year and series. I research online for the coding for whatever I am trying to accomplish as far as the coding lines needed, and just dive into Protool and find the ones I need to change. So far, it has always worked out.

Maybe we should start a seperate thread topic for Protool tips and DIY's.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 06:14 PM   #271
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

I agree it would take a whole sub-forum discussing it.
What I was hoping for is an example where you search for what you need coded, usually the result will discuss how to add this option or set or remove that line in NCS Expert.

How did you tske that info and applief it to Protool's expert mode is what I'm looking for.

I usually see a DIY saying "add $35-something to CAS and remove option $65-something from another module"

And I have no idea how to do that in Protool.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #272
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesfrager View Post
I agree it would take a whole sub-forum discussing it.
What I was hoping for is an example where you search for what you need coded, usually the result will discuss how to add this option or set or remove that line in NCS Expert.

How did you tske that info and applief it to Protool's expert mode is what I'm looking for.

I usually see a DIY saying "add $35-something to CAS and remove option $65-something from another module"

And I have no idea how to do that in Protool.
The $whatevernumber you refer to is a VO (vehicle order) code. Example, $620 would be referring to option code 620, Voice control. In Protool, the $ is not used. If you go into Vehicle order and add an option code, you then have to default code the appropriate module, like cas or frm. You would likely lose any prior coding already done in that module, so would have to recode those in. Example, if you had coded 5 blink passing signal, but then default coded the frm to add the VO change. you would have to code the 5 blink back to aktiv.

Here is an example of expert mode coding. Let's say you are coding enhanced bluetooth in an NBT module. Here is what would be done. Clear as mud?
Attached Images

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 07:55 AM   #273
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

Ah... I see. Yes, that clears the mud a bit
Thank you for this. This is a really good start.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #274
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilopilo View Post
Update on FTM issue.

BG helped me determine something was def messed up and they then logged into my car with my laptop and the standard software for them to figure it out. He said something about about a bug in the Protool software and finally it seemed like it worked. I've the FTM is now on and seems to be working though I guess I don't know until a tire loses air.

BG was helpful, but it did take a number of hours on my side to facilitate sorting it out and it does sting a bit that I'm paying full price (over $200 with the dongle) to help them troubleshoot the software.

I know development can be challenging and customers also, but at the price I paid (that seems to keep going up) some consideration would be nice.

Not sure if the bug is fixed in the software. He sorted it on my car through the standard software.
Can you post up what they did? I’m having the same issues on my brothers 08 335. I’ve successfully turned off the TPMS but cannot get FTM to activate
      05-07-2019, 04:24 PM   #275
pilopilo
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

I would, but I have no idea. He was on my laptop cutting/pasting/clicking using the actual software. Contact them on here or FB I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #276
riczon.335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Does anyone know what value hex input to change voltage going to my angel eyes? I have a pre lci e92 and having LUX Angel Eyes with bulb out error. I read that this can be fixed by adjusting the voltage. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #277
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by riczon.335i View Post
Does anyone know what value hex input to change voltage going to my angel eyes? I have a pre lci e92 and having LUX Angel Eyes with bulb out error. I read that this can be fixed by adjusting the voltage. Thanks.
Sounds like you just need to code out the bulb check. Increasing voltage typically corrects the issue where they flash then completely turn off. And, I think most (if not all) LUX bulbs come with a ballast that controls the voltage to the bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #278
riczon.335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Thanks Joe! I was able to figure it out yesterday by coding out the bulb check so the LUX works great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
Sounds like you just need to code out the bulb check. Increasing voltage typically corrects the issue where they flash then completely turn off. And, I think most (if not all) LUX bulbs come with a ballast that controls the voltage to the bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 02:26 AM   #279
Jagtem
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i / 2004 F150 /2009 R1

Hey everyone, while we're on the topic of angel eyes....

I just installed some LUX LED angel eye bulbs and they look great. Is there a way to activate the angel eyes as day-time running lights? I'd like to have just the angel eyes lit up all the time. I changed a setting in ProTool that said angel eyes as DRL, but it actually lights up the small halogen bulb in the headlights, not the angel eyes. Is it possible?

Edit: Nevermind. Just did some searching and it looks like I either need to update the FRM or install a bypass wiring harness. Unless anybody else knows of a roundabout way? Perhaps is there a way to disable the corner lights and the tail lights when the parking lights are activated?

Last edited by Jagtem; 05-18-2019 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 06:27 AM   #280
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtem View Post
Hey everyone, while we're on the topic of angel eyes....

I just installed some LUX LED angel eye bulbs and they look great. Is there a way to activate the angel eyes as day-time running lights? I'd like to have just the angel eyes lit up all the time. I changed a setting in ProTool that said angel eyes as DRL, but it actually lights up the small halogen bulb in the headlights, not the angel eyes. Is it possible?

Edit: Nevermind. Just did some searching and it looks like I either need to update the FRM or install a bypass wiring harness. Unless anybody else knows of a roundabout way? Perhaps is there a way to disable the corner lights and the tail lights when the parking lights are activated?
Easiest solution for frm1 is a harness.
https://www.distantxtremes.com/daeos...y-harness.html

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 06:30 AM   #281
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep

Coded euro mdm yesterday in the M3. Went to dsc module, 2 clicks and done. Big improvement!

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #282
tmick5jr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

hey guys, really need some help. A few days ago my friend was using his bimmer geeks pro tool app on my e90 and I think he may have messed something up. After he was done I have a few issues. 1: my reverse lights don't work and I have a yellow BRAKE light on my dash. 2: my hill start assist (manual trans) does not work, and 3: I have a yellow circle with a ! in between it which most likely is related to the reverse lights too. 4: my mirrors wont fold down when the car is put in reverse. When I googled all of these problems it is said that the issue is the reverse light switch which is a sensor plugged into the trans under the car. I replaced that and the issues are still here so I know something got messed up in the coding. All of this happened right after we were coding things. does anyone have any idea where to go in the settings to fix these issues? thank you!
Attached Images

Last edited by tmick5jr; 05-20-2019 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #283
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep

Did you scan for any fault codes? Were you playing with lights coding, voltages, disabling some etc. in the frm module?

Did you do a backup and save it? If so, you could try reverting to before your changes to see if that straightens it out and then start over.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:24 PM   #284
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpc2u View Post
Did you scan for any fault codes? Were you playing with lights coding, voltages, disabling some etc. in the frm module?

Did you do a backup and save it? If so, you could try reverting to before your changes to see if that straightens it out and then start over.
+1000 on the backups. Always, ALWAYS make one before you code anything.

Also, would defaulting the module(s) basically resets them?! Not sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #285
tmick5jr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

yea we changed the voltage of the drl rings but that's it. I don't have his tablet on me now to do it but do you guys see anything in there that could be the culprit
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 06:34 PM   #286
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmick5jr View Post
yea we changed the voltage of the drl rings but that's it. I don't have his tablet on me now to do it but do you guys see anything in there that could be the culprit
Insert Pickard's Face Palm (tm). This happened right away, while he was there and he didn't fix it?

I don't think changing the voltage causes so many issues, but I'm no expert.

Could it be the increase in voltage fried something? Could it be the FRM fried? which I read in many posts could happen even when the dealer access the module with their own hardware and software.

It may seem harmless because how simple it is to tap here and tap there, but as you can see; you can mess things up if you are not careful.

You'll need to read the fault codes, or better yet; load the backups

I have done it before where I'm scrolling and accidently enable or disable something.
And if you are not careful; you end up disabling or enabling things you shouldn't do and don't even remember doing.

To BimmerGeeks, maybe there should be some way to prevent accidents like this?
It could be solved in three ways:

1- for every change of an option there should/could be a prompt
Are you sure you want to set XYZ to ABC?
[Yes] [No]

2- any setting that gets changed, highlight it like there is no tomorrow. This way by accidently tapping to scroll but end up changing it; you change the color of that option and also highlight the value before this change, so the user know what happen and change it back instead of cancelling the whole thing and starting over (best UX and method in my opinion -I'm a designer and webdeveloper)

3- this should/could be suppliment to the two methods above or by its own: right after tapping finalize; show a prompt that says:
Applying 5 changes, continue?
[Yes] [No]
So if the user knows he changed 3 things yet it's saying 5 things changed, then there is something wrong

Keep calm...and code safely

Last edited by gamesfrager; 05-21-2019 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
spazzz122.00