E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Question regarding new motor under extended warranty.

11-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #45
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonM335i View Post
Fingers crossed that they can't find one haha.

How long will they usually look around for before giving up and dropping a new one in?
Hopefully if they get a used one it's the same or less amount of miles on it?

If not I would be pissed.
Yeah, I assume it would be the same or less. I don't think they can put an engine with more miles in, but again, I'm new to this so not 100% sure. I would raise a big stink if they told me they were putting one with more miles in.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #46
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post
If they can find any used one, they will.

Source: I was a SA for 7+ years

How long will they usually look around for before giving up and dropping a new one in?
Maybe a day or so. Just remember this is all they do, so if theirs one available and it will save money, they will do it.

You might have the option of paying the difference of used vs new
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #47
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Maybe a day or so. Just remember this is all they do, so if theirs one available and it will save money, they will do it.

Are they allowed to put one with more miles than he had? If so that's bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #48
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:

Are they allowed to put one with more miles than he had? If so that's bullshit.
Not sure about that. Anytime they offered to send a used one I'd HIGHLY suggest to the customer to buy a new one and I'd discount the parts cost to make it possible
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #49
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If they can find any used one, they will.

Source: I was a SA for 7+ years

This couldn't be worse timing with the holidays coming up, and going to Europe for two weeks, I'm pretty tight financially and am really relying on this warranty to get everything taken care of, otherwise I will be SOL. Don't really have the option of paying the difference to get a new motor vs. used. We will see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #50
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quick update. This process isn't going as smooth as it was seeming. Dealership called me and said the inspector from the warranty company wants them to take the oil pan off and see if anything caused this issue that would get them out of covering it. Dealership told me that they would pretty much just be looking for sludge or any indicator that the car wasn't maintained properly. Service records are pretty spot on, and I've had the car for a month, so there is no way I did anything wrong, as far as servicing goes. The guy at the dealership feels very confident that everything will be getting taken care of by the warranty company, but I can't help but feel a bit nervous about this whole situation. I should find out Friday what the next move is.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #51
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quick update. This process isn't going as smooth as it was seeming. Dealership called me and said the inspector from the warranty company wants them to take the oil pan off and see if anything caused this issue that would get them out of covering it. Dealership told me that they would pretty much just be looking for sludge or any indicator that the car wasn't maintained properly. Service records are pretty spot on, and I've had the car for a month, so there is no way I did anything wrong, as far as servicing goes. The guy at the dealership feels very confident that everything will be getting taken care of by the warranty company, but I can't help but feel a bit nervous about this whole situation. I should find out Friday what the next move is.
Warranty inspectors look for any way possible not to cover the repair. But I'm not surprised they are sending one out at this cost.

Best of luck
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #52
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update for anyone curious as to what's going on, or what the cause of my engine failure is.

My SA just contacted me, they have removed the oil pan and discovered that the bearing carrier broke. He says the inspector will be back on Friday, and that there is no way the warranty company can deny this. No signs of neglect or abuse. So, looks like everything should be good to go. Now I'm just hoping for a brand new motor vs. a used one.

I'll update when I have any news.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #53
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Update for anyone curious as to what's going on, or what the cause of my engine failure is.

My SA just contacted me, they have removed the oil pan and discovered that the bearing carrier broke. He says the inspector will be back on Friday, and that there is no way the warranty company can deny this. No signs of neglect or abuse. So, looks like everything should be good to go. Now I'm just hoping for a brand new motor vs. a used one.

Thanks for the update. What do they mean by bearing carrier ? Rod bearing portion of the rod which the bearing sits in ? Or the crank journal ?
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #54
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the update. What do they mean by bearing carrier ? Rod bearing portion of the rod which the bearing sits in ? Or the crank journal ?
I'm not too sure. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so it went a bit over my head. Was hoping people here would have an idea haha. Anyways, I'll reach out to my contact at BMW and see if he can shed some light, I'll also do a bit of research and see if I can get more info.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #55
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
I'm not too sure. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so it went a bit over my head. Was hoping people here would have an idea haha. Anyways, I'll reach out to my contact at BMW and see if he can shed some light, I'll also do a bit of research and see if I can get more info.
Yes we can wait for someone else to chime. I have rebuilt a mazdaspeed engine and assembled it never heard of that term before.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #56
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Quote:
Yes we can wait for someone else to chime. I have rebuilt a mazdaspeed engine and assembled it never heard of that term before.
Yeah, from all the research I've done throughout this process, it's not a term I've seen at all. Hoping someone hear can provide some knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:26 PM   #57
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Yeah, from all the research I've done throughout this process, it's not a term I've seen at all. Hoping someone hear can provide some knowledge.
If they still have the oil pan open for the warranty company to check out, see if they can take any pictures of what they are referencing and post them here. Very curious to see if this is bearing related.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #58
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
Quote:
If they still have the oil pan open for the warranty company to check out, see if they can take any pictures of what they are referencing and post them here. Very curious to see if this is bearing related.
So, BMW called me and told me that the warranty company will only cover costs up to the amount I paid for the car ($17k). The cost to put the new motor in will be $24k. Considering I don't have an extra $7k laying around, that isn't an option for me. My other option is, the guy at BMW found a used one that they could put in and the cost would probably fall under what the warranty will pay, but it has 66k miles on it, mine has 50k. So, that option really sucks too.

I've also contacted a lemon law attorney to see what options I have there, considering I bought the car a little more than a month ago (dealer has had it for almost two weeks). Maybe I can wipe my hands clean of this situation and start fresh.

Well we will see what happens. If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 05:06 PM   #59
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So, BMW called me and told me that the warranty company will only cover costs up to the amount I paid for the car ($17k). The cost to put the new motor in will be $24k. Considering I don't have an extra $7k laying around, that isn't an option for me. My other option is, the guy at BMW found a used one that they could put in and the cost would probably fall under what the warranty will pay, but it has 66k miles on it, mine has 50k. So, that option really sucks too.

I've also contacted a lemon law attorney to see what options I have there, considering I bought the car a little more than a month ago (dealer has had it for almost two weeks). Maybe I can wipe my hands clean of this situation and start fresh.

Well we will see what happens. If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it.
Also, haven't really received a response regarding the "bearing carrier" and whatever that is. At this point, I'm not too worried about it, but I will ask again.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 05:36 PM   #60
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

You could get a lower miles used engine installed by an indy for under 10k easy. 17k is built motor price.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #61
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
You could get a lower miles used engine installed by an indy for under 10k easy. 17k is built motor price.
That could be an option, but I would have to make sure the warranty covers it if it's done outside of a BMW dealership.

BMW called me again and said that they found a used motor with 52k on the odometer, same as I have now, and the cost to do it all will be under the maximum amount the warranty company will pay. I'm thinking that this might be my best option as of now.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #62
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

$24k for a new motor swap!!!??
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 11:48 PM   #63
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
$24k for a new motor swap!!!??
MSRP for the full assembly (new) is $22k. Reman (by BMW) is just under $16k. And neither of those include whatever additional parts (turbo?) are needed, along with labor which is ~$200+ per hour at BMW dealers
Attached Images

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 11:55 PM   #64
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Looks like CA lemon law is 30+ days in dealer's possession, but it might not apply because you have an extended warranty. Based on the little bit of reading I did, extended warranties are actually legally considered "service contracts" which aren't covered by lemon law. Good call on contacting an attorney though, they can tell you for sure

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #65
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:

What else are they replacing besides the motor? I know for a fact a N55 fresh from BMW loaded with injectors, plugs, water pump, etc is only around 13-14k MSRP. Unless they are replacing your turbo and a bunch of other items, that price seems far too high. Maybe they're trying to hit you hard with labor as they know its through insurance.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #66
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What else are they replacing besides the motor? I know for a fact a N55 fresh from BMW loaded with injectors, plugs, water pump, etc is only around 13-14k MSRP. Unless they are replacing your turbo and a bunch of other items, that price seems far too high. Maybe they're trying to hit you hard with labor as they know its through insurance.
I'm not too sure. I'm gonna find out all the details on Monday.
Appreciate 0