E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW cooling system is a POS rant

01-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #155
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I agree. I buy cars with no concern about depreciation, because I drive until the wheels fall off, then I rebuild the hubs and drive even more. IMO buying used just means you don't get to drive the car when it is in its best condition and (sometimes) under warranty.
but on the other hand, when you buy a 100K mile used car for pennies on the dollar compared to it's new price, and then DIY it up, you end up with a car that performs as new, for 1/5 the new price.

which is how I've been rolling for the last few years.
Euro cars just deprciate so much that they are a bargain if you can repair them yourself.

People don't believe that my wife's volvo is an 04, and when I'm done fixing up the e91, people won't believe it's ten years old either.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #156
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
but on the other hand, when you buy a 100K mile used car for pennies on the dollar compared to it's new price, and then DIY it up, you end up with a car that performs as new, for 1/5 the new price.

Euro cars just deprciate so much that they are a bargain if you can repair them yourself.

People don't believe that my wife's volvo is an 04, and when I'm done fixing up the e91, people won't believe it's ten years old either.
Yep and that's because most work is the labor that adds up.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #157
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
I get so many comments on my E91. Its a boring bronze wagon with 16" wheels but people are always amazed at the condition.

Ive always said, buy a CPO (preferably off lease) spec'ed BMW and maintain it and it will treat you right. My dad started doing this in the early 90s and its pretty much all we have all done since.

Get a car with a warranty for 50% off and because the leases are so restrictive (and getting ones that arent base models means you get a higher class of lessee) you end up with a barely used car.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #158
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

i would say average consumer would consider the car reliable if they dont have to replace/repair anything other then brakes, oil change or tires for the first 100k.

my moms 2006 camry had 305k on it with just oil changes and air filters...she didn't even bother to replace the water pump as i bugged her many times to do before she traded in her car.

subaru's interiors are crap but they have excellent resale value, i think thats one of the reasons why their so popular.

i bought 2014 wrx brand new for $25k...i drove it for 2yrs and put 20k miles on it...i hated the interior and traded it into the dealer for $24500 for my 335xi. I had 2yrs free maintence from subaru so i only paid car payments and no other costs in those two yrs

i would say toyota's are still the most reliable but others are catching up...one of the reasons the toyota land cruiser is close to 100k is because toyota stated they designed the suv to last 25yr with minimum maintence. They prioritized reliability and durability over advanced technology.

The 80s and early 90s bmws were more about craftmanship. The newer BMWs are more about the driving experience and advanced technology, they stated this many times in every press launch of a model.

i would say BMW has stepped it up on the F series in terms of reliablity. My buddy owned a m235i for last 3yrs without any issues or leaks.

I'll probably move onto F87 m2 once they come off lease in a few months.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #159
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

I think we are saying the same thing actually. In my case I'm just the original owner who paid back the depreciation by my DIY labor. If you DIY, and can do serious DIY, a BMW is a great 2nd hand car to buy. Once the minor issues get fixed with updated parts from BMW, the cars last for a very long time and stay in great shape and get more reliable.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #160
wsybert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Vert

Quote:

Exactly! I picked up my clean, 2 owner '06 330i 6 speed manual for $4500 with 107k and all options but sport... had 3 of the 4 common oil leaks. Broken aluminum head bolts, OFHG and OPG..... VCG was fine, but replaced while doing bolts. All fixed and dry.

Everyone thinks it's new.... lol.
1999 528iT 5sp manual (new addition)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #161
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
Quote:
140K on all the factory parts on mine.
you had efthreeoh up there say he did them at 221 just because, and they were still OK.
so there yo ugo, two e90's that made it to your target mileages.

and the 2003 mazda 6 I'm familiar with leaks oil into the spark plug wells copiously, and the power steering pressure line just broke off. So I get to do that this weekend. it's a terrible design that breaks the pipe off of the banjo fitting it's welded too.

I've never had a power steering line simply break, ever, and I've owned and driven many rust belt beater with a heater (sometimes no heater) shitboxes.
So every manufacturer has issues that make it through engineering for one reason or another. Whether it's oversight, cost or simply no fucks.

It's the golden age of performance. Is it soooo bad that we have to deal with some plastic fittings so we can have 100hp/l engines made out of aluminum and magnesium?
I also got 159K out of my original water pump and just changed it to be safe. It didn't fail but upon inspection I found the bearings were a little loose and the impeller had some play in it. The rest of my cooling system is original with 233K miles.
I also have a 2001 E46 330i with 242K miles and have replaced 4 water pumps, 3 thermostats and the cooling hoses twice. So in my opinion the E90 is way more reliable than a E46.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0