E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > New Belt and Idle Tensioner Installed. Still Squealing.

03-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
New Belt and Idle Tensioner Installed. Still Squealing.

My car was squealing like a pig this past month. Took it to the local indy shop. He replaced my Idler Tensioner and my Serpentine Belt.

Well, now it's squealing again. But more how it did towards the beginning of the squeal. So not as loud, and goes away after 30 minutes of driving. But it's embarrassing pulling out of my garage and subdivision. Overall annoying.

Could any other pulley be causing this squealing? Is there anything I can check to see if they really did the belt replacement? Does it simply need to be readjusted?

I don't buy the "weather is changing" type of comments, as I don't hear any other cars squealing.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Car squealing like a pig

Anyways, did the shop reaplce two idler pulleys as well, in adiition to the tensioner and belt?

It is standard to replace belt, tensioner and two pulleys.
      03-12-2015, 03:04 AM   #3
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Here is my DIY.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1075854

Agreed as above..... How many pulleys did he change and hopefully torqued them correctly.

DN
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The old-school solution is a bar of soap held against the edges of the belt as it's turning.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Mechanic only changed the belt and the tension idler pulley. Dropped it off again and he cleaned it with pressure washer and simple green. I pick it up 4 hours later and squeezing still, not a pig, but more like an annoying crow.

Luckily I won't need my car for a week so I left it there with the understanding that he needs to start it in the morning as well. Or at least 4 hours later.

100% annoying. I'm debating a new shop but not many in my area and this guys knows what he's done so far.

I'll ask him about installing a more specific belt and tightening the pulleys correctly.

Since it went away for about 1.5 weeks, and then came back gradually, leaves me questioning his work.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
F*&% Me.

Started to squeal again and decided to go in myself and see if I could see what may be happening since the weather is nicer.

Read a page online about someone with the same problem and their power steering bracket....their bolt was loose. But I can't access it. Pelican parts and other websites show an easy DIY, but my car has the oil cooler, and even with a long ratchet I can't access it. If I can't even get them loose, there's no flipping way I could try to attempt to get it back together.

I'm so frustrated. I've spent $568 at this same mechanic for it to be "fixed" a few times already. Not to mention another $197 when my power steering went out, but only because a hose came loose. So far that's $765 spent on something to do with Ppower steering or squeeling belts.

Very bitter lately. Any mechanic want to buy my car?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankcah View Post
F*&% Me.

Started to squeal again and decided to go in myself and see if I could see what may be happening since the weather is nicer.

Read a page online about someone with the same problem and their power steering bracket....their bolt was loose. But I can't access it. Pelican parts and other websites show an easy DIY, but my car has the oil cooler, and even with a long ratchet I can't access it. If I can't even get them loose, there's no flipping way I could try to attempt to get it back together.

I'm so frustrated. I've spent $568 at this same mechanic for it to be "fixed" a few times already. Not to mention another $197 when my power steering went out, but only because a hose came loose. So far that's $765 spent on something to do with Ppower steering or squeeling belts.

Very bitter lately. Any mechanic want to buy my car?
Jesus dude, it's just a belt and a few pulleys. Find a new mechanic; the one you use sucks.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #8
SmellyGreek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue F22 M235i

Garage List
Definitely change the two idler pullies, it's very bizarre that he hasn't done that yet. Also less common, but could be this.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 04:45 PM   #9
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyGreek View Post
Definitely change the two idler pullies, it's very bizarre that he hasn't done that yet. Also less common, but could be this.
Great, thanks for the link.
Appreciate 0