E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > How to drain DEF tanks and fill with distilled water

12-02-2017, 12:32 AM   #23
Ohiodiesel
Mens Sana In Corpore Sano
Rep
Drives: E90 335D-F15 X5 35D-Mk6 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Can't you just fill with water and then drain and leave the tanks empty? No need to worry about freezing then.
Before I converted mine for Water Meth..... I dropped, drained and cleaned them thoroughly with both HOT water and distilled water. Even pressure washed them lol. Blew them out with compressed air and let them sit to dry. Then put them back in and never had an issue.

Since then, I've been running W/M in BOTH my tanks for awhile now and never have had any issue.
      09-25-2018, 11:10 PM   #24
SikhE90
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i 09 E70 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiodiesel View Post
Before I converted mine for Water Meth..... I dropped, drained and cleaned them thoroughly with both HOT water and distilled water. Even pressure washed them lol. Blew them out with compressed air and let them sit to dry. Then put them back in and never had an issue.

Since then, I've been running W/M in BOTH my tanks for awhile now and never have had any issue.
Can you please tell me what is W/M solution for? is it a replacement for DEF or for other mods on your car. I got my X5d today back from the dealer with 119992 miles just shy of the 10y/120k warranty on the active tank. They said it was passive tank probes with crystallized probes. From what I understand there are 2 things I can try.

One is to drain the passive tank and fill with hot water to melt the crystals and clean the DEF tank followed by adding fresh DEF fluid.

Second option is to install some sort of resister?

I don't want to remove any parts and keep the factory diesel working as it should and would like a procedure where I can clean the probes inside the passive tank and eliminate the CEL. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #25
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

W/M he mentions is after he deleted he used those tanks for his wm injection storage. Wm is used for adding performance by cooling the charged intake air and adding fuel via the methanol in the solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 05:52 PM   #26
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Can't you just fill with water and then drain and leave the tanks empty? No need to worry about freezing then.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #27
SikhE90
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i 09 E70 X5D

Quote:
W/M he mentions is after he deleted he used those tanks for his wm injection storage. Wm is used for adding performance by cooling the charged intake air and adding fuel via the methanol in the solution.
Thank you. Anyone have ideas on how to fix the sensors inside the passive tank using warm fluid? does it work? thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0