E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > e92 HIDs not colorful?

01-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #23
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i on ED, pickup 10/6

bmws DO have the colorful cutoff, just not the e90, and now you're talking about porsches and audi not civics?

what purpose does putting a front lip on have? bmws all come with bumpers right? whats the purpose of putting a new set of wheels on? bmws all come with wheels right? anyone with half a brain can tell that the bumpers and wheels from the factory work perfectly, you drove my point right home, good job slugger!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #24
stopsign
Rep
Drives:

No, I disagree. When people usually say rice, it's when they're imitating something that they DONT have. Fake turbo sounds, large wings, and high kelvin XENONS that are TINTED blue to pretend to give off that genuine effect of the prismatic color effect.

There's nothing wrong with wanting your xenons to look like erm, ..xenons.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 04:01 PM   #25
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dArNeLLi
bmws DO have the colorful cutoff, just not the e90, and now you're talking about porsches and audi not civics?

what purpose does putting a front lip on have? bmws all come with bumpers right? whats the purpose of putting a new set of wheels on? bmws all come with wheels right? anyone with half a brain can tell that the bumpers and wheels from the factory work perfectly, you drove my point right home, good job slugger!

no the civics wanted to look like the more expensive cars that came with HIDs like porshe and audi, the BMW came with hids, so what the problem with them?

people dont put lips on their cars to make them look like porshes they put them on simply because they think they look good, do you honestly think putting blue in your headlights makes them look better? or do you just want the blue so everyone knows they are hids, or maybe you think that the blue looks better because it will make everyone know they are HIDs

any way you look at it it seems you want people to know you have HIDs the fact that they actually are HIDs is just a coincidence
      01-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #26
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Quote:
hold on there technokid, if you reread my post, its not for OVERALL BLUE output like a civic with a bootleg 8000K hid kit. The references I made in the original post were to the s2000, acura tsx, and yes they are honda cars, but have you seen their headlamps at night? they have a prismatic look when they change different angles. if you go over to hidforum and look those projectors up, you'll know they are the most colorful

i didn't mention anywhere in my original post that i wanted my overall light output to be blue, if i did, i'd know where to do it, swap the bulbs with 6K-10K bulbs as everyone has mentioned, but if you look at those pictures, right at the cutoff, there is a hue of color BUT there is white light under the cutoff color. The hue of color at the cutoff is very thick on the lower picture (that's the color you see when you see a colorful projector on the road), and very thin on the 335i cut off (not colorful at all). If you've seen ferrari's and lamborghinis at night, they have a pretty nice cutoff color, very noticeable.

And why would I want the headlights to be more colorful? It's not the headlights that is more colorful, it's the cutoff of the projector that will have a thicker color band at the cutoff, as I said before, that's what you see when you see an s2000 (or even a e39 5-series, they used a nice bosch projector at that time) changing angles in your rear view mirror.

And civics usually won't achieve a nice projector cutoff color without some sort of retrofit from a higher end vehicle, then in a sense I guess I would want my car to look like a civic.

If you'd like more information on hid projector retrofits or projector cutoff color, please pm me.

That's exactly my feeling as well...
I absolutely love the way the color projects from far of say a Porsche. It has that purple look from far away and then as it comes closer it becomes whiter.
Same thing as you said for the older 5 series...
I remember when Hid's were extremely rare on cars. My favorite one's were usually the Bmw and Mercedes ones... But now it seems as though the new Bmw ones are not what they use to be. Not as much color to them...
So i too would love to know how to get that effect.
Not because i want to be a Ricer or not because i want people know i have xenons... Just because it looks nicer and classier i find. Even Acura's got it right.
I thought that by changing my xenon bulbs to 6000k it would give me exactly what i was looking for. Am i wrong? I have yet to order them and i am getting my car in 2 weeks...
And as for Teknochild... Whatever dude just give it up. YOu just don't get it Man.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 05:07 PM   #27
easyman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

yeah, technochild needs to learn a but more about hids before criticizing what others have to say.
As for the OP i dont believe there is much we can do short of retrofitting another projector/shield. I have an e46 and have the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #28
specialque
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3cs, 2018 McLaren 720S

Ok boys and girls; watch your toes, because i'm about to drop some knowledge.

At little background on me. I've been in the "retrofit" business for a long time. I got out of it because it just got to be too much. HRC will vouch for my work. Anyways, the amount of light output is indirectly correlated to the color tempurature. As you increase color tempurature (ie these BS 6000k and 8000k kits) the actual light output decreases past 4400k. Hence the reason all OEM D2S/D2R HID lights are rated at 4350/4400k.

Now to address the matter of color you all speak of. This band of purple/blue light is know as the colorshift. This simply is the bending of light within the projector lense. There are three major players in the OEM projector market: BOSCH, HELLA & VALEO. These "colorful projectors" you all see are usually valeo projectors. Their lense is slightly more convex so the light is spread a little more creating the color shift. However they are the least efficient and aren't as bright but are the cheapest for the car companies. Most BMWs use either BOSCH or HELLA. Their lenses are not as convex as the Valeo's so you don't get as much of a color shift.

Now keep in mind they all produce the same color spread, it won't matter which brand projector you have. The difference lies in the degrees of the spread. So depending on which angle the car is at when light hits your eyes is what color you'll see. You'll notice the audi's and VW's and S2000s because they all use valeo projectors and have a large shift. The BMW projectors produce exactly the same colors but the angles at which the colors are apparent aren't as big. If you park your car with lights on. Walk about 75ft in front of the car and slowly lower yourself into the color shift you'll see that the car produces the same look as the audi and S2000's lights.

This can however be altered. There is a process to increase the bend of the light on the BOSCH and HELLA projectors to produce more of a color shift than even the Valeo's. I'm weary of disclosing this because I don't want anyone messing up their headlight and blaming me.

I hope my .02 helped.

Luke
2014 BMW X3 M-Sport Carbon Black/Mojave Brown - Beater
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 06:01 PM   #29
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Ignorance coming from at least one person in this thread is pretty appalling. Then again everybody catches up with the rest of the world sooner or later.

I noticed that the output has on e90 has less color and it is more diffused. I am not about to take apart the headlights to do some washer mods on them.

Not sure how easy it would be making a spacer that will fit between the headlight and the hid lamp itself. the whole idea of colormoding is to get the burner further away from the lens. Does not matter which way you go about accomplishing that.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #30
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman
yeah, technochild needs to learn a but more about hids before criticizing what others have to say.
As for the OP i dont believe there is much we can do short of retrofitting another projector/shield. I have an e46 and have the same problem.
im not criticizing what he has to say, im criticizing him for wanting his headlights to be blue, no knowledge of HIDs is required for me to do this, whether its a blue tint or a blue bar or a blue hue or anything else blue
      01-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #31
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
I don't know if its only bulb color that is associated with the color that he is talking about. I know that in my s2000, it also has 4300k bulbs, but yet they project more color when driving over bumps. I'm not sure what this is can be attributed to though. I remember back in the day when I was on e46fanatics some people were playing around with the projector shield to give it more of an audi HID look.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #32
stopsign
Rep
Drives:

The actual process may not be so difficult. I'm thinking either the washer mod OR shield bending would work just fine.

It's just getting these damn things open to actually fiddle with the projectors would be a pain. I think the E46 had casings that could be opened without baking.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 10:43 PM   #33
InfamousM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild
no i know exactly what you guys are talking about, but you just drove my point home, even though the lights work perfectly, you guys want to modify your lights so they apear to 'look cool' those of "an audi or Porsche"

therefore the mentality is the same as a guy with a civic, the only diffrence is the bmws actualy have HIDs, that luckily dont have that annoying blue tint (or ba~nd), until you guys change them

so why what purpose does it serve? who cares if they look like halogens, even though they dont and anyone with half a brain can tell they are HIDs
In your sig you have a picture of a Turbo.. I know people put them in civics too(better known as ricers to you) does this mean that every car that does not originally come with a turbo stock and someon puts a turbo in it is considered to be a ricer?? Because it is mimicking that of what a civic person would do?? The way you talk sounds so childish, you really need to grow up and for what it's worth why are you so concerned with the mentality of a guy with a civic, your point is not valid because you have no point and you just keep bashing the poor guy when he's asking questions about his car, this is a forum if you feel the need to vent about how much you hate civic owners that put HID's on thier cars to make them look liek porches maybe you should hit up a civic forum and let them how you feel about what they do and how it makes you so mad owning a bmw. LET IT GO!! He told you numerous times already no one wants to hear you rant.

BTW some people like myself and darnelli, like the colorful tint, just becasue you dont doesnt mean you can go about labeling everyone else who wants it as a ricer.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #34
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous335i
In your sig you have a picture of a Turbo.. I know people put them in civics too(better known as ricers to you) does this mean that every car that does not originally come with a turbo stock and someon puts a turbo in it is considered to be a ricer?? Because it is mimicking that of what a civic person would do?? The way you talk sounds so childish, you really need to grow up and for what it's worth why are you so concerned with the mentality of a guy with a civic, your point is not valid because you have no point and you just keep bashing the poor guy when he's asking questions about his car, this is a forum if you feel the need to vent about how much you hate civic owners that put HID's on thier cars to make them look liek porches maybe you should hit up a civic forum and let them how you feel about what they do and how it makes you so mad owning a bmw. LET IT GO!! He told you numerous times already no one wants to hear you rant.

BTW some people like myself and darnelli, like the colorful tint, just becasue you dont doesnt mean you can go about labeling everyone else who wants it as a ricer.
so let me ask you this, what do you think about a 335 that has had a blow off valve installed, super loud exhaust, blue w/e headlights, maybe a vented hood, maybe some neon and brightly painted interior trim, maybe some racing stripes too?

the point is its just one link in the chain

and for the record i dont hate civic owners, and i even think that some of the ricey mods can look good, but a lot of it has no buisness on a BMW
      01-14-2007, 11:44 PM   #35
InfamousM3
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
so let me ask you this, what do you think about a 335 that has had a blow off valve installed, super loud exhaust, blue w/e headlights, maybe a vented hood, maybe some neon and brightly painted interior trim, maybe some racing stripes too?

the point is its just one link in the chain

and for the record i dont hate civic owners, and i even think that some of the ricey mods can look good, but a lot of it has no buisness on a BMW
You don't make any sense, I think you need to re-read this whole thread, no one is talking about having blue headlights.. theres even pictures showing you what the guy is talking about.. " The cutoff" has a hue of different colors, when your driving and looking at your rear view mirror it's more noticeable on other cars ie. Audi's, porche's etc. etc., he's asking why our cars dont have it and if possible what must one do to create such an effect. THERE IS NOTHING RICEY INVOLVED!! Your bieng ignorant becasue that's the way you feel about anything to do with somone talking about colorful headlights. But you need to open up your mind and LET IT GO!! Stop defending yourself because it's only making it more obvious how ignorant you really are. It's your money do what you want with it, people have thier own preferences don't bash someone because you don't like it.. just throw your opinion and leave, it's that simple. Don't call anyone a ricer and dont hate on other car owners.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 12:15 AM   #36
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
You don't make any sense, I think you need to re-read this whole thread, no one is talking about having blue headlights.. theres even pictures showing you what the guy is talking about.. " The cutoff" has a hue of different colors, when your driving and looking at your rear view mirror it's more noticeable on other cars ie. Audi's, porche's etc. etc., he's asking why our cars dont have it and if possible what must one do to create such an effect. THERE IS NOTHING RICEY INVOLVED!! Your bieng ignorant becasue that's the way you feel about anything to do with somone talking about colorful headlights. But you need to open up your mind and LET IT GO!! Stop defending yourself because it's only making it more obvious how ignorant you really are. It's your money do what you want with it, people have thier own preferences don't bash someone because you don't like it.. just throw your opinion and leave, it's that simple. Don't call anyone a ricer and dont hate on other car owners.
i understood what he was talking about from the beginning it was pretty obviouse from the pictures, but weather he wants a little band of blue or his entire light blue makes no diffrence in my eyes, its the same mentality
      01-15-2007, 12:23 AM   #37
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep

you want a shovel to dig yourself deeper? you're not putting anything positive into this thread, you aren't contributing any useful information to the topic, leave it at that man, you're done, the world is against you and you can't win, you're arguing completely off topic, you're trying to save yourself but you can't, once you're falling off the cliff, no matter how hard you flap those arms and legs of yours you just not going to make it back up, no matter how many times you restate your previous comment, it's not going to get you anywhere, look at yourself, you are arguing the same useless point and it's obvious no one here agrees with you, stay out of this thread, there can be some productivity here w/o you in here, be a man and just stay out it. i've read the BOV threads and I have my opinions of it, but i don't feel it necessary to negatively criticize on it, people that typically have confidence issues that stemed from their ignorant and deficient egos

back on topic, yes i'm aware of the washer mod which has to tilt the projector a bit, and then theres the shield bending mod, i was thinking of just putting a glove and seeing if i can put a little pressure toward the shield to bring the color out, i've done the retrofit on my cl headlamps from previous, check out the album that i have posted from a previous link
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 12:30 AM   #38
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep

just thought of one other idea, the bulbs on our cars are still fairly new and not broken in or (color shifted) yet, anyone got a broken in d2s bulb that they want to try out in their housing and see the color/cutoff difference? could be i am (we) are overreacting right now?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 12:39 AM   #39
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
you want a shovel to dig yourself deeper? you're not putting anything positive into this thread, you aren't contributing any useful information to the topic, leave it at that man, you're done, the world is against you and you can't win, you're arguing completely off topic, you're trying to save yourself but you can't, once you're falling off the cliff, no matter how hard you flap those arms and legs of yours you just not going to make it back up, no matter how many times you restate your previous comment, it's not going to get you anywhere, look at yourself, you are arguing the same useless point and it's obvious no one here agrees with you, stay out of this thread, there can be some productivity here w/o you in here, be a man and just stay out it. i've read the BOV threads and I have my opinions of it, but i don't feel it necessary to negatively criticize on it, people that typically have confidence issues that stemed from their ignorant and deficient egos
so because you dont agree with my opinion i cant share it? because you say my opinion is wrong i should not defend it?

didnt you do basically the same thing as me? i shared my opinion that i thought retrofitting a light to look more blue was dumb, you shared that you thought my opinion was not valid, even though its my opinion so its indefinatly valid, i defended my opinion, you continued to tell me that my opinion was wrong so i should take my opinion back at which time i continued to defend my opinion, since it is infact my opinion after all

you could have just left it at that, my opinion, and i would most likely not made another post in this thread, having already shared my opinion on the subject, which by the way i am entitled to and am entitled to post if i so choose
      01-15-2007, 01:00 AM   #40
InfamousM3
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
so because you dont agree with my opinion i cant share it? because you say my opinion is wrong i should not defend it?

didnt you do basically the same thing as me? i shared my opinion that i thought retrofitting a light to look more blue was dumb, you shared that you thought my opinion was not valid, even though its my opinion so its indefinatly valid, i defended my opinion, you continued to tell me that my opinion was wrong so i should take my opinion back at which time i continued to defend my opinion, since it is infact my opinion after all

you could have just left it at that, my opinion, and i would most likely not made another post in this thread, having already shared my opinion on the subject, which by the way i am entitled to and am entitled to post if i so choose
WTF?? I don't think you have a clue about what your saying.. take your time to write out a reply, because you are embarrasing yourself more and more everytime you post something in this thread. He want's you to stop defending yourself so he can get some real feedback, your not helping by defending youself because we see your just bieng ignorant.

Quote:
why would you want your headllights to be colorfull, thats kinda dumb, why does everyone want to make their BMW into a civic? thats one of the reasons i chose to buy a bmw not to be associated with that kind of crap

but to answer your question, why dont you just go all the way and cover your headlights with that blue tint? then your ride will be phat dawg

this is what you need http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-06...QQcmdZViewItem

BTW, your first post was all wrong you had no clue what he was talking about and you posted a link to an item of a maxima with blue "tint" on the headlamps, that in no way had anything to do with what he was talking about.. so this proves from the beginning you were wrong and you had nothing to "defend" with any "valid" points. NOW let it go, and stop posting your just making yourself look stupid.

Back to topic, my 2004 acura tl also has that cutoff.. im kinda disapointed the e90 I just ordered doesn't have it. Im really dying to know what would be the best solution for this.. because i used to get alot of compliments when people would see my HID's on the road in action.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 01:32 AM   #41
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
BTW, your first post was all wrong you had no clue what he was talking about and you posted a link to an item of a maxima with blue "tint" on the headlamps, that in no way had anything to do with what he was talking about.. so this proves from the beginning you were wrong and you had nothing to "defend" with any "valid" points. NOW let it go, and stop posting your just making yourself look stupid.
theres a word called exaggeration, another called mocking noth could be used to describe that part of my post, if you didnt get that right away then :finger:

and i dont really care if defending my opinion makes me ignorant in your eyes because you already know what i think about someone who wants phat sweet blue headlights
      01-15-2007, 01:41 AM   #42
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

more to the point, i think making your headlights any more blue then they came is dumb, you guys seem to think its sweet and phat, what else is there exactly? its a diffrence of opinions and most likely no matter what you say i wont change mine and no matter what i say you wont change yours, but trying to tell me that my opinion is wrong is retarded
      01-15-2007, 02:11 AM   #43
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

tekno, if anything, your car is rice. a blue bmw is more rice than a black bmw with an extended colorshift anyday. and im not saying either is riced, but if i had to choose one, it would be yours by a longshot.

my opinion: you think a blue car is nice, he thinks blue hid's is nice, do you see him giving you a pain in the ass for your paint color choice? didnt think so.

darnelli: can u explain in more detail how we can mod the color shift? i'm all for the blue tint and white light for driver, best of both worlds.
      01-15-2007, 03:26 AM   #44
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you want to find something to bish about, go after people with cheap wheels. Axis, Koing, HP Racing etc. Now that is something that definitely rices out a BMW to the max.

You are all by yourself on the headlights discussion but that’s just inexperience talking. As somebody has mentioned you dig yourself in deeper with every reply.
Appreciate 0