E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Retrofit FLA ( High Beam Assist ) -

02-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #45
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatjoez View Post
Anyone know if there is any real difference between the Round / Square cameras?

Should we consider newer year model mirrors to have better FLA sensors?
I read in another forum that there is no real difference.
Only the camera housing is different and the circuit boards are the same.

Bare in mind that is second hand info.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:43 AM   #46
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatjoez View Post
Anyone know if there is any real difference between the Round / Square cameras?

Should we consider newer year model mirrors to have better FLA sensors?
yes. round is much better
      10-04-2020, 05:59 AM   #47
niksss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
yes. round is much better
I have retrofited FLA with the square camera on my 2012 E92. Coded it propperly and updated it with latest SP Daten. The FLA works very poorly. It almost never detects the rear lights of the vehicles, and sometimes takes ages to stop the high beams when there is oncoming traffic. On the highway is 100% useless.

My friend drives an 2008 E60 LCI. His FLA works like 10 times better. Detects the back lights from miles away and turns off high beams when there is oncoming traffic everytime, very fast.

I haven’t checked if his car has the round camera, but can that be the reason ?
Also is it normal for my FLA to function so poorly ? Is there a way to change the sensitivity or code some options to improve it with NCS Expert ?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #48
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niksss View Post
I have retrofited FLA with the square camera on my 2012 E92. Coded it propperly and updated it with latest SP Daten. The FLA works very poorly. It almost never detects the rear lights of the vehicles, and sometimes takes ages to stop the high beams when there is oncoming traffic. On the highway is 100% useless.

My friend drives an 2008 E60 LCI. His FLA works like 10 times better. Detects the back lights from miles away and turns off high beams when there is oncoming traffic everytime, very fast.

I haven’t checked if his car has the round camera, but can that be the reason ?
Also is it normal for my FLA to function so poorly ? Is there a way to change the sensitivity or code some options to improve it with NCS Expert ?
there is point that pre-2009 fla mirror have different angle for different car windshield
so you have to check from what car you've got mirror and try to adjust mirror if you like to do heavy DIY
but mirror with round camera works better
      10-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #49
niksss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
there is point that pre-2009 fla mirror have different angle for different car windshield
so you have to check from what car you've got mirror and try to adjust mirror if you like to do heavy DIY
but mirror with round camera works better
I checked and my friend also has the square camera, but it works much better. How can I adjust the angle ? With coding or phisically ?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #50
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niksss View Post
I checked and my friend also has the square camera, but it works much better. How can I adjust the angle ? With coding or phisically ?
physically
camera mount have some washer or different size washer for different FLA mirror assembly
if you understand russian you can read this topic -
https://www.drive2.com/l/3701958/
niksss10.00
POBEP364.00
      11-29-2020, 05:02 PM   #51
MMBJ02
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325d

I just did this retrofit, and of cause made some mistakes, but got it working.
I have a pre lci e90 325d with bixenon and AHL
i coded it, and it works, but I found 2 problems and hope some of you guys have a solution for it.
1. when I turn on the high beam assist, it works, but only turns on the xenon high beam function and doesn't use the halogen bulb (pass light), can someone tell me how to code, so I use both the xenon and halogen light at the same time?
2. The high beam assist symbol shows in the cluster, but I doesn't have any settings for it, and when I turn it on in the CCC it immediately removes the check sign in the CCC, but still works and shows in the cluster?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 05:50 AM   #52
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

high beam do not used halogen lamp
may be you need to upgrade software in ccc
      01-08-2024, 09:59 PM   #53
mattanderson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
It is all working great now!

The errors I was getting were due to a poor connection on one of the leads.

This cause different errors to appear in the diagnostics.

I rewired the splices to fix the poor connection, which corrected Can-Bus communication.

After clearing all of the codes the car displayed NO errors with the new mirror in place and active.

Some notes on the installation in no particular order:

• I’ve seen some people attempt to splice into the rain sensor wires to connect the FLA CanBus wires. This makes no sense and is in error, since the rain sensor (RLS) uses LIN-BUS not CAN-BUS to communicate with the FZD module.

• One you release the FZD from the roof, if you turn it completely around with the wiring at the top, the 14 pin plug will be on your right.

• You must leave wires 1 and 2 electrically connected to the FZD. Some diagrams and instructions imply that you remove the wires from the plug as a “no-splice” option.

• The “no-splice” diagram I borrowed elements of for my image below, is correct but can be misread to imply a cut or removal of existing wiring.

• High Beam Assist will NOT function until you have VO coded your modules AND performed the “reset to factory” of all related modules, e.g. Kombi, CAS, FRM, FLA, CIC, etc.

• You must activate high beam assist functions via coding, in the FRM, Kombi and CIC modules.

• Mirrors from other vehicles will work. I purchased a mirror from an E-bay seller that parted it out from a wrecked X5. It works perfectly on my 335xi.

• Look at the stamped numbers on the mirrors if pictures are available, to determine if it will be suitable for your vehicle.

• The part/wreck sellers often do not have the right part numbers or may misreport the models the mirror may work on.

• There are many different but electrically identical mirrors that may work for you, however some of the mounts vary in angle, due to differences in windscreens.

• If you search hard you will find sub $200.00 USD mirrors with all of the options you want.

• Plan on purchasing new mount/camera covers, which are inexpensive. On the mirrors I looked at almost all had the catches broken during removal.

• Some E-bay sellers show pictures of mirrors with a rats nest of wiring, that buyers seem to be avoiding. This is a good thing as it indicates the original clips are probably intact. You unclip the rats nest from the mirror anyway.

• To remove your old mirror TURN the base as if you were moving the hands of a clock around the pivot. After 30+ degrees of motion or more, the mirror will fall out by itself.

• It doesn’t matter which way you turn the mirror, clockwise or anti-clockwise. Either works. Likewise for re-installation.

• While you are coding, remove the “8S4 – Decoding Variable Light Distribution” and enable it via coding of the FRM. This makes HBA work even better.
Just wanted to say thanks, as I finally finished my FLA / high beam assist retrofit and couldn't be happier.

I know it's an old thread, but above post was super helpful.

A few notes:
  1. My car is a 2007 E92 without iDrive
  2. I used an X6 mirror with the newer "round" camera (less than $200 on eBay)
  3. I used the factory retrofit wiring kit for the autodimming/homelink functionality, and removed the extra brown wire that isn't used
  4. As depicted in the quoted diagram, pin 1 (side with the extra ear) of the new 3-pin plug goes to orange pin 2 in the 14-pin plug overhead; pin 2 (middle) goes to green pin 1 in the 14-pin plug
  5. To make the splices, I stripped away a very small section of insulation on the existing orange+green wires, soldered the new wires to the exposed wire, then covered with heatshrink (I pulled the pins out of the plug to get the heatshrink on) and fabric tape. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I didn't actually cut any wires, and wasn't in love with any other splicing methods I've seen.
  6. I could not find 8S4 in my VO, nor anything related to "variable light distribution" so I didn't code that out
  7. I didn't have to do anything with the CIC module (perhaps because I don't have iDrive?)

After adding $5AC to VO, and resetting CAS/NFRM/KOMBI/FLA, I see the icon in the dash display and everything works perfectly.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 04:03 AM   #54
nieznamcie
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI

Thanks for these quick fixes, it helped.
Appreciate 0