E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Please help me! Suspension problem? Took traction control off, under warranty???

02-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
calsynergy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92

Please help me! Suspension problem? Took traction control off, under warranty???

Every now and then i turn off the traction control by holding on to that DTC button down for 20 seconds to do some spirited driving. Today all of a sudden at lunch when i was driving to get some food this symbol appeared and according to the manual there is something wrong with my suspension. Do you think this is still covered under warranty? and can they tell that i turn off my traction control? can a member recommend anything? thanks for your help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:30 AM   #2
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

I think that's a message for a problem or fault with your tranction control. It might be time to take it to the dealer and have them check it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:34 AM   #3
calsynergy
Private First Class
Rep

do you think it is covered under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:44 AM   #4
Bartman619
Captain
Rep

Should be covered...4 years /50,000 miles which ever comes first.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
calsynergy
Private First Class
Rep

i guess my concern is that i turned off the traction control... could that have caused this to happen? and if that did cause this to happen will it be under warranty still? thanks for your help bartman!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:51 AM   #6
Bartman619
Captain
Rep

It should be under warranty for all those reasons. I'm not really sure if turning it off caused the problem, but the warrantly should cover you regardless. Keep us posted after the dealer checks it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
calsynergy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
There is a fault with your dynamic stability control unit. Does the fault go away when you restart the car? If it does, then you are all right for the time being.

Next time when the fault shows up, go to the signal stock and scroll through all the error messages. There might be a few more hidden in the diagnostic menu. Take some photos of the error messages and show it to your service advisor. That way the mechanic will know have some information to start troubleshooting.

By the way, do you have any radar detector or any accessories wired to the fuse box?
youre right... there is another light... its the brake one that flashes too. i do have a parrot bluetooth thing installed... dont know if its installed to the fuse box because i didnt do the fuse box.

i just started my car this morning and its still on. seems like i have lost my traction control (which is not good since its raining) and i think i lost hill assist but not sure. another strange thing i lost is when i signal to turn my car the signaler doesnt return and keeps blinking...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
ptx1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Titanium Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsynergy View Post
i guess my concern is that i turned off the traction control... could that have caused this to happen? and if that did cause this to happen will it be under warranty still? thanks for your help bartman!
I've turned off DST and DTC plenty of times and I've never had that problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
calsynergy
Private First Class
Rep

i called and asked my SA and he said that it should go away in a day or so. he said that 50 percent of the time the car should be able to fix itself and should go away in the next day... sounds like BS to me, but i dunno much. he said just drive it carefully because the traction control is off. i told him that i have service appointment scheduled for the 23rd and he said i could even wait till then... what do you guys think of the situation? fix itself? driving without traction control in the rain?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

It'll away after a day at the most. That always comes up after I deactivate everything and throw her on the dyno.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
calsynergy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you are comfortable in checking the fuse box, Open the fuse box panel (the rear panel of your glove box) and take a photo of it and post it here. it's easier this way than to trouble you to look for certain things on the fuse box.

When I got the DSC light (DSC failure) it goes away when I restart the car. A few weeks later it will show up again during after 2 to 30 minutes of driving. I took the car in for service and had the DSC controller replaced (long process).

If your DSC fails you will loose ABS, TMPS, and DSC. I don't have hill descend control but I am not surprised if you loose that as well since ABS is not working properly.
I went to lunch today and the light was off and my traction control was working, but when i got out of the restaurant and drove back home the light was on again. i will try to take pictures later and post it up so you guys can look at it. when the dsc controller was replaced was it covered under warranty? and had you taken off the traction control prior?

im just afraid i ruined and broke it somehow when i took off my traction control and then it wont be covered under warranty
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by calsynergy View Post
I went to lunch today and the light was off and my traction control was working, but when i got out of the restaurant and drove back home the light was on again. i will try to take pictures later and post it up so you guys can look at it. when the dsc controller was replaced was it covered under warranty? and had you taken off the traction control prior?

im just afraid i ruined and broke it somehow when i took off my traction control and then it wont be covered under warranty
OK... turning your traction control off doesn't void the warranty (this ain't no GT-R). Unless you have other mods (ie. suspension mods) you don't need to worry about warranty one bit. Just take the car in to BMW and have them fix it...

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
calsynergy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Mine was replaced under warranty and I never turn off DSC unless I am stuck in snow or unless I need to spin the wheels to get the car to move.

It took BMW almost almost 2 1/2 months (troubshoot, wait for part to come in, wait for another part to come in...etc) to repair the DSC controller. During that time, I had to drive the car for 1 1/2 month in icy / snowy weather without any form of stability control (Note: DSC, TMPS, and ABS all not operational). It wasn't fun at all.
wow im surprised they let you drive that like that without giving you a warranty. you would think since they know of the situation and didnt fix it right away they would be liable... wow glad it was under warranty and thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
calsynergy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
OK... turning your traction control off doesn't void the warranty (this ain't no GT-R). Unless you have other mods (ie. suspension mods) you don't need to worry about warranty one bit. Just take the car in to BMW and have them fix it...
hahaha... i know i was reading about that on autoblog with the people with the GT-R problem... just concerned that i might have a problem since i wasnt driving it like normal and then they can say that i messed it up myself... just dont want to have to pay thousands of bucks... thats what im worried about!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #15
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

turn your wheel lock to lock...see if it goes away..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #16
calsynergy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you are comfortable in checking the fuse box, Open the fuse box panel (the rear panel of your glove box) and take a photo of it and post it here. it's easier this way than to trouble you to look for certain things on the fuse box.

When I got the DSC light (DSC failure) it goes away when I restart the car. A few weeks later it will show up again during after 2 to 30 minutes of driving. I took the car in for service and had the DSC controller replaced (long process).

If your DSC fails you will loose ABS, TMPS, and DSC. I don't have hill descend control but I am not surprised if you loose that as well since ABS is not working properly.
sounds like i am having the same problem as you. my car will start out fine and then in two minutes my traction control is off and those lights pop up. but then it might go away for a day. its very random when that light shows up and when i have or do not have traction control. kinda scary. i have maintentance service scheduled for the 23rd and they told me i should be safe to drive till then so lets hope they can fix it.thanks for all your help
Appreciate 0