E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Painted once before, now again

03-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Painted once before, now again

I painted the brake calipers on my last car, Honda Accord. I selected black because I didn't want it to be showy since it was a standard car.

I would like to paint the calipers on my Alpine white e92, but haven't found a good color I like. I am leaning towards a darker blue, but G2 caliper paint only comes in blue that is too bright and looks cheesy. I considered getting the blue from G2 and then adding aerosol black to darken it up. Will that work since the G2 has to be mixed/activated when you use it? What are other good options without looking like a poser or just out of place? Would anyone consider red a good option or would that be too much?

My requirements are that I really prefer to paint it on with a brush, much easier. < $50 would be ideal. I also want something other than black.

I know there are other threads on here, but need opinions for my situation.

Here is a pic of my Honda, nothing crazy.

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | My New Website: Shifted-Perspective.com | DM for discounts on: LUX ANGEL EYES or BPM TUNES
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
chandleerr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Garage List
2009 Bmw 335i  [0.00]
here is an example of someone who did it with an alpine white with red calipers.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20460
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandleerr View Post
here is an example of someone who did it with an alpine white with red calipers.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20460
You don't think red is too much?

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | My New Website: Shifted-Perspective.com | DM for discounts on: LUX ANGEL EYES or BPM TUNES
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 11:04 PM   #4
jskin1510
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335xi

I think red will be ok and I was actually thinking about the same thing. some high performance cars actually come with red calipers. I also think it's a nice accent to the red taillights especially on white, black, silver, colors that don't stand out as much. if u like it... go for it.
      03-11-2015, 06:20 AM   #5
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Red looks tacky and cheap. Just my opinion.
      03-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin1510 View Post
I think red will be ok and I was actually thinking about the same thing. some high performance cars actually come with red calipers. I also think it's a nice accent to the red taillights especially on white, black, silver, colors that don't stand out as much. if u like it... go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Red looks tacky and cheap. Just my opinion.
^ Notes taken. I would really like to paint them a nice blue, like the BMW OEM Estoril Blue. I will probably end up getting the closest match at Autozone or Pep Boys and using spray paint, since G2 or other brush paints don't have a blue I like. I also don't really want to spend more than $50 or so.

Let me know if you guys know of other options for a nice blue without breaking the bank.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #7
335iAP
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 & F26

I also have an alpine white car. I had white calipers for a while, and while they looked awesome they became too dirty to keep clean within a few months. Can't even tell now. Been considering either blue or gold. Let us know what you end up doing.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Get the G2 blue, then get some black pigment that is used to color epoxy.
Add a drop at a time until you get the color you want.

That's what I did.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #9
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
Get the G2 blue, then get some black pigment that is used to color epoxy.
Add a drop at a time until you get the color you want.

That's what I did.
Perfect idea! Dumb question but, where is the best place to get the black pigment? Home depot?

Appreciate 0