E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d overboosting and going into limp

02-20-2017, 01:30 AM   #23
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

EMP parameter is: STAT_Exh_pTrbnUs_full_WERT

But on that 2006 335d it may be different due to the different set-up of the exhaust pressure sensors.

I've heard that you can rent from BMW on-demand on Friday and keep for the whole weekend...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 03:43 AM   #24
drhousedk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 10/2012 F31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
EMP parameter is: STAT_Exh_pTrbnUs_full_WERT

But on that 2006 335d it may be different due to the different set-up of the exhaust pressure sensors.

I've heard that you can rent from BMW on-demand on Friday and keep for the whole weekend...
I'm not sure about the whole weekend to be honest - usually they're booked then - might very well be due to that. I rented mine from 17-09, and what a night it was. I know it gets a lot of crap for its exhaust note - I loved it with the top down. Sounded really naughty.

Could you produce a few screens showing how you start TestO, just to have something to reference to?

Will I need complete DATEN files for E91 (E89)?

Will I need specific files in "jobs" and "ecudata" folders in TestO?

I'm really looking forward to trying out TestO!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #25
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhousedk View Post

Will I need complete DATEN files for E91 (E89)?

Will I need specific files in "jobs" and "ecudata" folders in TestO?

I'm really looking forward to trying out TestO!
You do not need Daten files or any specific files. Just download a standalone latest version and enjoy. Look up "log requests" thread and see some parameter examples. Just make sure to choose N57 engine and set your logging through Custom Jobs. F1 to start logging.

Here is a link:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ogging&page=16

Name:  Capture5.PNG
Views: 1660
Size:  357.9 KB

Last edited by Yozh; 02-20-2017 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #26
aaddam2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335d M-Sport

drhousedk

any update on this? or finding the root cause? I am running a McChip-DKR tune on my US 335d and ATM exhaust system.

I am only finding that I get the overboost limp mode code when I am on a road course and typically right at the end of a straight.

did you find it was wastegate related? or tune parameter related?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #27
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaddam2 View Post
drhousedk

any update on this? or finding the root cause? I am running a McChip-DKR tune on my US 335d and ATM exhaust system.

I am only finding that I get the overboost limp mode code when I am on a road course and typically right at the end of a straight.

did you find it was wastegate related? or tune parameter related?
IIRC this was a common problem a few years back that has been resolved with adjustments to tune parameters.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #28
aaddam2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
IIRC this was a common problem a few years back that has been resolved with adjustments to tune parameters.
would you happen to know the parameters? or could ask your friend to whom it happened to. the 2nd version of the tune i got didnt resolve the issue, so would like to point them in the right direction if possible to reduce time, and the fact that it only happens while on track so it isnt easily repeatable. if the tuner didnt share that info then no worries.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 12:29 AM   #29
mFifty7
Dirt Nasty
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘11 M57 335D

I hate to bring up an old thread but I’ve been having the same problem for the last year. I’ve been a voyeur on the forum for years and never posted anything because I didn’t have anything worth contributing.

I have a ‘11 335d with Malone Tune 2.9.... I get fault 428b (boost pressure control low pressure stage, deviation)

I asked Malone and I got a response saying “that wasn’t a tuning problem and it would be best to data log your boost deviation and go over the system, we can dial it back a hair if needed, or increase boost tolerances, but it's best to fix a problem rather than avoiding it.”

Before getting the Malone 2.9... I did the CBU walnut cleaning, all new vacuum lines, replaced my glow plug module and glow plugs. The DEF, EGR, SCR, DPF, Swirl-flaps have been deleted and the air box was updated to the ATM unit. I made the straight pipe 3” stainless exhaust from the downpipe back.

The 428b happens when I get in the 85-100mph or when I use the sport shift mode to romp through the gears.

... any help would be much appreciated and I don’t have a PC to do all the data logs, programming, itsa, coding, etc. I bought a cable but the computer will be next... I’ve been contemplating using one of my Macs but I think it’s best to just get a PC for that.

Last edited by mFifty7; 12-19-2020 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add vehicle info
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 11:37 PM   #30
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Data logging is best but this one has been seen before around here with that tune. How old is your tune. I think earlier ones used to experience these quite often.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 11:41 PM   #31
mFifty7
Dirt Nasty
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘11 M57 335D

Heyy Yozh… sorry for the slow reply. I never saw that anyone responded to my post. To answer your question… my tune is from 01/2020. I wrote Malone an email and Owain responded.

“ Sorry but these aren't tuning problems, we've worked with a good volume of these cars. Would be best to data log your boost deviation and go over the system, we can dial it back a hair if needed, or increase boost tolerances, but it's best to fix a problem rather than avoiding it.

Were the injector adaptations reset after CBU?

Thanks,
Owain” I responded that the injector adaptations were reset and then he responded this…

“ These boost tolerances work fine on many other engines so it's likely a mechanical problem that should be addressed. I've done ~200 dyno pulls with tighter tolerances without issues personally and we've tuned a large volume of these cars. Boost requested vs actual over a drive cycle will give you an idea of what the ECU is requesting and how the turbos are reacting, should be within 3psi or so of request. EMP should be in the 4.5-4.8 bar range at high RPM wide open.

Cheers,
Owain”

Any help would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:38 PM   #32
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I would agree that you need to data log your parameters and see what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #33
335_DE90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D Sport

Sorry in advance if this isn't the right thread for this.

I have a 2010 335d that is currently stock (not for long) with 125k on it.

Right now I keep getting an overboost code and limp mode when cruising on the highway and start to go up a slight incline. Car illuminates half engine icon and immediately shuts back off and drives normal. It only does it when cruising at above 55mph when car is in 6th gear with minimal throttle input and going up hill (wont do it on flat land). Car acts perfectly fine if driving aggressive or doing wot pulls. Only does it when cruising along.

I have already replaced all of the vacuum lines and verified that all of the pressure converters are fine. I have also replaced the map sensor since the car was acting a little hesitant down low and that seemed to have alleviated that issue.

If anybody has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 01:56 PM   #34
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335_DE90 View Post
Sorry in advance if this isn't the right thread for this.

I have a 2010 335d that is currently stock (not for long) with 125k on it.

Right now I keep getting an overboost code and limp mode when cruising on the highway and start to go up a slight incline. Car illuminates half engine icon and immediately shuts back off and drives normal. It only does it when cruising at above 55mph when car is in 6th gear with minimal throttle input and going up hill (wont do it on flat land). Car acts perfectly fine if driving aggressive or doing wot pulls. Only does it when cruising along.

I have already replaced all of the vacuum lines and verified that all of the pressure converters are fine. I have also replaced the map sensor since the car was acting a little hesitant down low and that seemed to have alleviated that issue.

If anybody has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.
Codes?
      03-04-2023, 11:22 AM   #35
coco35d
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpach0 View Post
Resolved
What was the problem?
Appreciate 0