E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 CIC wont recognise USB audio.

03-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
Mikey335D
Rep
Drives: 335D

E92 CIC wont recognise USB audio.

Hi guys, I'm at a loss with a little issue I'm having.
I've got an 2008 E92 with factory fitted pro cic. It's got the USB in the glove box.
The USB works perfectly. I've updated my maps to the latest 2017-1 so I know it works ok, however it doesn't recognise the same USB stick with MP3 audio on it.
I've updated the cic system with ISTA as I thought it might be a software issue.
Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions.

Cheers

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey335D View Post
Hi guys, I'm at a loss with a little issue I'm having.
I've got an 2008 E92 with factory fitted pro cic. It's got the USB in the glove box.
The USB works perfectly. I've updated my maps to the latest 2017-1 so I know it works ok, however it doesn't recognise the same USB stick with MP3 audio on it.
I've updated the cic system with ISTA as I thought it might be a software issue.
Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions.

Cheers

Mike.
Glove box USB is for updating parts of the CIC and additionally if you have professional CIC you can import music from the USB device to the HDD in the CIC.

To play music on your USB plug it into the centre armrest USB port if installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Mikey335D
Rep

I haven't got an armrest USB port.
I know that the glovebox one definitely works for audio on the cic system as I Retrofitted a CIC system in to my mates car & his one is recognised & can import from the glove box.

I wanted to import some music from my USB stick instead keep making MP3 dvds but unlike my mates one nothing happens when I plug a USB stick in.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey335D View Post
I haven't got an armrest USB port.
I know that the glovebox one definitely works for audio on the cic system as I Retrofitted a CIC system in to my mates car & his one is recognised & can import from the glove box.

I wanted to import some music from my USB stick instead keep making MP3 dvds but unlike my mates one nothing happens when I plug a USB stick in.
Are you definitely looking at the Music Collection Menu and not External Devices?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
Mikey335D
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Are you definitely looking at the Music Collection Menu and not External Devices?

Yes mate,
It lists
Cd/DVD
Music collection
Aux

But no USB, maybe it's just not supported being a very early CIC car but it got me thinking when I did my mates one. His unit was from a 2011 car so maybe they updated something. Not a problem if it doesn't I'll just have to keep burning MP3 dvds.
Thanks for the reply anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Out of interest what does it show if you go to:

CD/Multimedia -> Music Collection -> Options -> Music Data Import/Export)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 02:35 AM   #7
Mikey335D
Rep

Quote:

You know what!? It blooming worked! I did try it yesterday but it asked for me to insert a USB drive. I left the drive in there over night & when tried it this morning it worked. Maybe I didn't give it enough time for it to read it.
Thanks for your perseverance & shoving me in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 02:39 AM   #8
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Good stuff. There is a software glitch I think whereby the CIC forgets it's has a USB port.

Glad it's sorted.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 12:14 AM   #9
nuwaus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Quote:

Man, you saved my life.

I recently retrofitted to Pro from Bus. I was confusing how to load some music to the hard disk. I thought it was "External Devices".

But, After your hint, I plugged my USB into the glovebox USB port and went "CD/Multimedia -> Music Collection -> Options -> Music Data Import/Export)" and Imported from USB.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 05:43 AM   #10
John the Hat
Rep
Drives: BMW 325 SE

CIC upload problem

I recently got "my" cic back after an expensive "repair" but the original problem is (partly) still there.

The situation:

All functions on the CIC appear to work EXCEPT that I can’t upload files (.mp3) to the HDD (a function that worked previously & was the original complaint).

I can upload from CD to HDD therefore the HDD data partition can be written to ( and the CIC shows a drop in available memory).
I can back up the contents of the HDD thus uploaded to a USB drive in the glove compartment so comms from the HDD to the USB seem to be working.
So: I can write to the USB from HDD (backing up to USB) AND I can restore the backed up files FROM the USB in the glove compartment back to the HDD which implies that the USB socket / cable functions correctly in both read and write modes. Wiping the HDD (removing files uploaded from CD or back-up from USB) works fine – there does not appear to be an HDD problem.
So:
With the music collection wiped and the free memory reporting 100% free I can insert a brand new, fat32 formatted (using Windows XP Home 32 bit) San Disk 8gb USB drive holding 7.5gb of mp3 files*.
I can access the “upload data files to hdd” menu but recognition of the USB is slower than I would expect.
When it IS recognized I can select “UPLOAD” and the device goes through the motions (very quickly) and reports “100% uploaded” but no files are visible and the HDD reports 100% free space.

It has been suggested that there is a limit to the size of USB device that the CIC can “see”. The device MUST be able to see a 12gb partition (the size of the music/data partition – and the nav partition is about 56gb) and has obviously no trouble “seeing” an 80gb HDD. The QNX os is a 32 bit system I believe and MAY have a FILE SIZE limit of 2gb. I can see nothing in the QNX literature to suggest that it treats USB devices significantly differently so IDE ones.
Appreciate 0