E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Clearcoat Peeling - should I make an insurance claim?

04-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #1
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Clearcoat Peeling - should I make an insurance claim?

I have peeling clearcoat about the size of my fist on my front bumper. And a few more spots that are slowly but surely becoming larger. There's a spot on my roof near the racks that is starting to peel as well. (Everyone always says "what a beautiful car" and then they get to the front and say "what happened here?") - Annoying.

I've been getting some estimates at $700, and there are some online that will match my paint code for around $350-400, but the shops either send me the painted bumper or aren't as "nice". Overall I'd like the entire front bumper repaired as the previous owner has a decent amount of scrapes and such and plenty of rock chips.

My deductible is $500. Should I utilize this in order to fix the bumper/paint? Or is this shady? Should I keep scrounging through eBay or out of state junkyard body shops that can locate bumpers and have them painted for me?

It seems I may have been bird droppings that I didn't tend to.

So is making an insurance claim for something like this normal, or should I deal with this out of pocket?

*Side note - I may be selling this vehicle as I got a good deal on it, and can make a few thousand from it. I feel repairing the bumper will help in selling the car, but that's money out of my pocket in the mean time. Debatable I guess.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Leave it alone if you are selling it.

A prospective buyer may think that you got into an accident if you repainted your front bumper cover

HTH
Appreciate 0