E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Need some help - Audio

06-10-2015, 04:27 AM   #1
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Need some help - Audio

This is for any guru who could help me find the solution to my problem.

Contents:
Morel Hybrid Ovation speakers front
Jehnert XE200 midrange
Audison Bit One Processor
Audison Bit DMI (http://www.audison.eu/bitdmi)
JL 12w7 Subwoofer
JL 1000/1v2 Amp
Hertz HDP4 x 2

I used to have sound but it's not working for some reason. Car is with Studio In Car right now but I need someone savvy with coding to take a look. They've helped alot and been very transparent but unfortunately they've got other commitments until next week which they did make me aware of.

When a friend of mine ran his cable and NCS software on my car, he found I didn't even have CIC coded to the car even though I had it retrofitted. So over this weekend he has coded CIC, Hifi and CD changer option to be future proof.

The DMI is perfect, all wiring for the entire system is new courtesey of Studio In Car etc. Since they are not gurus in coding, I really want to try and keep costs low so calling someone expert out there to have a look please, rather than get charged a daily rate from them.

One can tell I've spent enough on the car and really need to minimise the daily charges from a shop - not to discredit them because they are fantastic but I do need to be careful on my pocket. That said, I'm willing to pay someone who knows how to solve the issue.

What I'm told COULD be the issue is:

- No digital stereo output from HU
- Bit One not functioning properly (however there is light on the unit which means it clearly is getting the power) - if it is the Bit One, I could borrow a friends to eliminate that if it is that.

Any help?
      06-10-2015, 04:33 AM   #2
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

So question is, how does one get digital stereo output from the HU?
      06-10-2015, 05:13 AM   #3
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

HiFi doesnt do digital output does it...

Base and HiFi are analog signals from the speaker outputs. Hifi levels are lower and non-EQ'd when compared with the Base setup.
Logic7 uses the MOST bus to transmit the audio from the head unit to the amplifier.

So either Bin the DMI unit and use the analog HiFi outputs, or code it to Logic7 and use the MOST bus?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 06:05 AM   #4
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

That makes a lot of sense but I was told that L7 coding was not needed! Hmmm. I'll let SIC know and see if they get much luck after that - thanks buddy!!
      06-10-2015, 06:56 AM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d
HiFi doesnt do digital output does it...

Base and HiFi are analog signals from the speaker outputs. Hifi levels are lower and non-EQ'd when compared with the Base setup.
Logic7 uses the MOST bus to transmit the audio from the head unit to the amplifier.

So either Bin the DMI unit and use the analog HiFi outputs, or code it to Logic7 and use the MOST bus?
There is well known issue with Sam!

He goes to so many people out there that he does not know whats going on.

And we have discussed this in the past that spending silly money on mods and when it comes to coding then cut the corners.... Remember that Sam when you said it does not matter. And you are happy to let novice 'have a go'.
Take it as positive feedback.

Lastly, when you contacted me, I was clear in saying that L7 coding is MUST to work with bit DMI. Perhaps you are having early onset of dementia.

Anyway, I just read this now and one possible solution has been mentioned. Good Luck.
      06-10-2015, 06:58 AM   #6
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Show SIC this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754920
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post

And we have discussed this in the past that spending silly money on mods and when it comes to coding then cut the corners.... Remember that Sam when you said it does not matter. And you are happy to let novice 'have a go'.

Lastly, when you contacted me, I was clear in saying that L7 coding is MUST to work with bit DMI. Perhaps you are having early onset of dementia.

Anyway, I just read this now and one possible solution has been mentioned. Good Luck.
Sam thanks for the input. I feel slightly foolish to have emailed you when this was the sort of response you have written.

I'm not at all knowledgeable in coding. I told the guys it needs L7 coding and was told it'll never work. I don't get Softwares or coding so I just had coded Hifi and took it at face value. I can get L7 coding done, it's not an issue but do feel your 'sarky' remarks were unnecessary - I'm just trying to find answers.

I wouldn't bother asking if I knew. Believe me. I have tried various people because I am just looking for the right answer. I have been foolish and spent a bit - yes! But what other option did I have than to learn the long and hard way?!

Anyways, thanks. I'll know for future reference mate not to hassle you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Mo, thanks.

Last edited by AWBimmer; 06-10-2015 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer
Quote:

Sam thanks for the input. I feel slightly foolish to have emailed you when this was the sort of response you have written.

I'm not at all knowledgeable in coding. I told the guys it needs L7 coding and was told it'll never work. I don't get Softwares or coding so I just had coded Hifi and took it at face value. I can get L7 coding done, it's not an issue but do feel your 'sarky' remarks were unnecessary - I'm just trying to find answers.

I wouldn't bother asking if I knew. Believe me. I have tried various people because I am just looking for the right answer. I have been foolish and spent a bit - yes! But what other option did I have than to learn the long and hard way?!

Anyways, thanks. I'll know for future reference mate not to hassle you.

Quote:
Mo, thanks.
I am not exaggerating it and stating the facts.

If you feel offended then I don't have the right to defend myself.
      06-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #9
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix Convetible

You would need to code the car in order to get the Most output to work with the DMI, if you're car wasn't spec with DSp audio then it would need to be coded in.. I had this done in my old x6 in order to get it to work with my DMI.

By the way, my car is currently with SIC (the blue M5). Hope you get it all sorted.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #10
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemarman View Post
You would need to code the car in order to get the Most output to work with the DMI, if you're car wasn't spec with DSp audio then it would need to be coded in.. I had this done in my old x6 in order to get it to work with my DMI.

By the way, my car is currently with SIC (the blue M5). Hope you get it all sorted.
Ah that's your M5? Saw that when I dropped the car off on Sunday! Looked so nice buddy!! What are you having done on it?
      06-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #11
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Ah that's your M5? Saw that when I dropped the car off on Sunday! Looked so nice buddy!! What are you having done on it?
Getting a whole load of junk installed

6 amps DMI 10 channel Helix DSP and 13w7 sub.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #12
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Getting a whole load of junk installed

6 amps DMI 10 channel Helix DSP and 13w7 sub.
Liiiiiike it!!!!!!

So you're the guy getting that monstrous Sub installed! 6amps is crazy but you have had a good load of stuff before so really looking forward to your build mate!

What components are you going for?
      06-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #13
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am not exaggerating it and stating the facts.

If you feel offended then I don't have the right to defend myself.
Sam,
I'm really not sure why you've reverted to being this way when I thought the air was cleared previously - both in person and on the forum.

Saying that I'm on the onset of an early dementia.... followed by saying you're not exaggerating, is quite contradictory if you ask me.

I told the people involved I need L7 coded but he was adamant It was Hifi. It turns out he got the names mixed up and thought Hifi was the one I need when it was as you say, L7. That is why I've asked you a few times now if you could code it and tune my bit one but either you've not had the chance to or wish not to for whatever reason. I can't force you to work on my car LOL.

I'm just looking to a place that can deliver results without the added costs.

Cheers anyways.
      06-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #14
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sam,
I'm really not sure why you've reverted to being this way when I thought the air was cleared previously - both in person and on the forum.

Saying that I'm on the onset of an early dementia.... followed by saying you're not exaggerating, is quite contradictory if you ask me.

I told the people involved I need L7 coded but he was adamant It was Hifi. It turns out he got the names mixed up and thought Hifi was the one I need when it was as you say, L7. That is why I've asked you a few times now if you could code it and tune my bit one but either you've not had the chance to or wish not to for whatever reason. I can't force you to work on my car LOL.

I'm just looking to a place that can deliver results without the added costs.

Cheers anyways.
Just checked your e-mail. Apologies if I offended you but Sam...
Lets be honest, you are repeating the mistakes again and again to save some money and by cutting the corners (fact...look at your air ride install and audio stuff). It is not intended to offend you but lets be objective here and discuss this on the basis of facts. Perhaps not your fault as everybody wants to save some pennies these days...

Each picture has two sides. I appreciate your side and fully understand that but lets discuss few things

Quote:
When a friend of mine ran his cable and NCS software on my car, he found I didn't even have CIC coded to the car even though I had it retrofitted. So over this weekend he has coded CIC, Hifi and CD changer option to be future proof.
Whoever fitted your CIC did the right thing to avoid any future complications. Your friend may be novice or perhaps a knob as if he does not know how to approach CIC in a car where it is retrofitted from CCC.

I don't care what that person thinks about my comment but that is a fact. Also, I don't care what others say about me. I am very upfront and will say that Jammy did the coding right way. Explaining you reason may be beyond the scope of a normal person and only 'decent' coder will understand what I tried to say here.

Quote:
I'm not at all knowledgeable in coding.
Appreciate your honesty here, then kindly listen to those who know their stuff.

Quote:
I told the guys it needs L7 coding and was told it'll never work. I don't get Softwares or coding so I just had coded Hifi and took it at face value.
Quote:
Sam,
I told the people involved I need L7 coded but he was adamant It was Hifi. It turns out he got the names mixed up and thought Hifi was the one I need when it was as you say, L7.
Bit of discrepancy in those statements. If you told the chap that you needed L7 and he was adamant, that hi-fi would work, then you have disregarded 'opinion' of a person who knows his stuff. And taken advice of that person who is not familiar with what he was talking about. That is a response to first part of your statement.

To answer second statement above....Sam, again you are dealing with novice who don't know his stuff. How can somebody get mixed up b.w hi-fi and L7 especially if they are coding a car.
Its like mixing up b/w 335i and 325i and fitting parts of 325i in 335i by saying 'oh, I got mixed up'.

Quote:
That is why I've asked you a few times now if you could code it
Firstly, your concept is that everyone can code. Why paying somebody 'reasonable charges' when I can pay peanuts and get the job done.
Get the concepts right here. You wanted it to be done for few beers... so end result is spot on as per your incentive.

Secondly, you started a thread here and on facebook requesting somebody local to you to code your car. Nothing wrong with it but So basically you are ready to take risk to mess your car.

Thirdly, sending a message on Saturday night requesting to code your car on very next day.... Unfortunately, it does not work like that. We all have personal life and you are married now (so you understand it).
And lets face it that you only asked me once re: coding.

Quote:
tune my bit one but either you've not had the chance to or wish not to for whatever reason. I can't force you to work on my car LOL.
Sam as you have admitted that air ride install was not neat and same goes with audio installation. My hesitation was genuine. Why should I work on a car where I can mess with air ride when wirings is all over the place and messed up. And when most network is hidden behind it. So, I have no personal grudge against you but its your car with all those mods that if you start one job, you have to do other few jobs before you can start the first one.

I have discussed other side of the picture. I hope you take it positively get the positive message out of it.

PS: Dementia is not AIDS. With increasing average age, 8/10 from our generation will suffer from it

Last edited by makkan00; 06-10-2015 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #15
jammy78
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Quote:

When a friend of mine ran his cable and NCS software on my car, he found I didn't even have CIC coded to the car even though I had it retrofitted. So over this weekend he has coded CIC, Hifi and CD changer option to be future proof
if your mate tells you this...... he knows FA about coding!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #16
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Sam

I'm not cutting corners when the guy I initially used has done several on these installs! Paying £xxxx for an install isn't considered small by any means and I'd like to think I paid for quality work. How can you determine someone's work will be top class quality when you go there? You cannot. You can only go buy what others have said and what you have researched. In doing all that, it still worked out so that I wasn't happy with the install - so I moved on. If I was cutting corners, I wouldn't be going to Studio In Car, who are considered the best.

Everyone wants to be careful on outgoings... this is a hobby so mistakes will happen and lessons will be learned along the way.

I never disregarded your comment but my car wasn't accepting L7 coding. Why? I don't know but it was something to do with my car not having CIC coded, but instead, having the old 5 CCC modules. I trust the people I goto because it is my nature to be trusting especially if they are forum members and even more so, when I know zilch about coding. Just like I trusted you with my dash, and trusted Jammy with my retrofit. By no means am I saying anyone was wrong but simply stating the background. I was absolutely sure it was L7 but if it wasn't accepting the code, explain why it wasn't accepting it?

My concept is NOT everybody can code and that I'll pay peanuts mate. I live 80 miles from you. I'm not able to just pop down. If there's a forum member more local ofcourse I will try them. Also, not sure why you have a problem being contacted on the 11th hour? If you can't do it, you can't do. I could only asked seeing as I was in the area. For all I know, you could have been free, so let's not get that mixed up shall we.

I've never been shy of paying my way. I offered a few beers but I would always have given your asking price. Sometimes, its a nicer surprise for the recipient when its unexpected but clearly, money is an issue for you if that's all you have in mind and keep referring to. I've paid my dues bud and I was never going to walk away from yours without paying you + some beer tokens. I genuinely thought after the last saga - you were over this hissy fit - clearly not!

Sam, even in your hands someone's car could go wrong. Unlikely perhaps yes but there's a slim chance. I have to ask the question if someone local could code the car. How else does one find out? When you won't do it and I'm ready to pay, and when I'm stuck.. you really expect people to sit around hoping someone out there will ask me if I need things coded?! It was a desperate call but I'm not afraid to ask and neither am I afraid to give. So don't make it seem like I'm all about saving pennies when people know the score.

If you simply didn't want to work on my car... that's all you needed to have said... public or private. Honestly, I don't mind but instead, you chose to make sarky remarks about me going to everybody for help.

Let me tell you this Sam. If we all knew and picked the right shop first time round, life would be a lot simpler but sadly its not how it works. Sometimes we learn the hard way. Don't look down unless you're helping the person up.

@Jammy - no issues whatsoever matey - My CIC works top class.
      06-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #17
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Liiiiiike it!!!!!!

So you're the guy getting that monstrous Sub installed! 6amps is crazy but you have had a good load of stuff before so really looking forward to your build mate!

Going to be using Hybrid Audio components and running them with 2 monoblock sinfoni 60.1 amps for the mids, another sinfoni 90.2x channel for the tweeter and another Sinfoni 50.4x 4 channel for the Midbass. For the sub I have a Jl 1200/1 and an alpine for the rear speakers.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #18
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemarman
Quote:
Liiiiiike it!!!!!!

Going to be using Hybrid Audio components and running them with 2 monoblock sinfoni 60.1 amps for the mids, another sinfoni 90.2x channel for the tweeter and another Sinfoni 50.4x 4 channel for the Midbass. For the sub I have a Jl 1200/1 and an alpine for the rear speakers.
What helix dsp are you running? Im running the old p dsp. Absolutely love helix software best user interface IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 04:45 AM   #19
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What helix dsp are you running? Im running the old p dsp. Absolutely love helix software best user interface IMO.
I wanted 10 channel and only the new DSP pro can do 10 channel so went for that.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 06:29 AM   #20
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Crazy system !! Looking forward to it!!
      06-11-2015, 07:39 AM   #21
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Crazy system !! Looking forward to it!!
Are you joing SIC this Saturday for a car show? I'm told my car is on their stand, so would be going.

Don't remember the name of the show.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 09:10 AM   #22
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Are you joing SIC this Saturday for a car show? I'm told my car is on their stand, so would be going.

Don't remember the name of the show.
It's called Players Classic. You'll be joining Josh from this forum.

I would have been there but I'm at a friends engagement party. I'd have let SIC take my car there however my new rims are still in shipment stage so no point showing a half completed car LOL.

How long have you had the car there for? You going for a full boot build?

Air Ride next???