E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > [FIXED] Issues after new battery - Steering Lock Error, cant start car

11-14-2015, 06:42 AM   #1
Joe_L
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E92

[FIXED] Issues after new battery - Steering Lock Error, cant start car

So i am currently overseas atm and don't get back until Saturday 21st November.

Left instructions with the missus to start the car every now and then (she unfortunately doesn't have her license so couldn't take it for a spin). So had scheduled a mate to take it for a spin. So it's been about 2 weeks since it was driven. Apparently the car started fine on Wednesday. But today it wouldn't start. Missus said lights were flickering and now its completely dead. So suspect battery is fried? Although I think battery was changed about 3-4 years ago.

Since the car is dead, If it needs a new battery, i was wondering if anyone is able to install and code/register for me (or recommend someone that can come over to install)? Thought i would try here before i revert to towing (im no good at DIY's). The car is undercover at my apartment in North Melbourne. I'll pay of course (hugs or cash, you pick)

Any help would be much appreciated. I really dont want to be car-less when I get back from my holidays!!!

Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Thanks heaps guys!

Last edited by Joe_L; 11-23-2015 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #2
Asps91
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Get a trickle charger on it first.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #3
Joe_L
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asps91 View Post
Get a trickle charger on it first.
Thanks man. Will see if I can get hold of one (I think there was a thread somewhere on this). Volunteers also welcome lol
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 11:29 PM   #4
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
Or a set of jump leads and take it for a drive
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 12:11 AM   #5
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Here's the thread on chargers

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1179688

Just get your missus to buy a charger and put it across the terminals under the bonnet (do not charge it from the boot).

My battery was stuffed so I bought a new Bosch battery from here:
http://www.independantbattery.com.au/contact-us/

I went to the Frankston one

Its the correct size, the vent hose from the car fits into the battery just fine.
I bought a Bosch S5 574.035

Was around $260, coded/registered it myself.
      11-15-2015, 12:30 AM   #6
Joe_L
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Here's the thread on chargers

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1179688

Just get your missus to buy a charger and put it across the terminals under the bonnet (do not charge it from the boot).

My battery was stuffed so I bought a new Bosch battery from here:
http://www.independantbattery.com.au/contact-us/

I went to the Frankston one

Its the correct size, the vent hose from the car fits into the battery just fine.
I bought a Bosch S5 574.035

Was around $260, coded/registered it myself.

Thanks vtl. I'm gonna buy the ctek mxs 5 and try trickle charge it for a day via the terminals under the hood as suggested. Surely missus can't stuff up the connections lol

Failing that guess I'll have to go the new battery route.

Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
Joe_L
Private
Rep

So have got a ctek mxs 5.0 on its way that I bought off eBay.

But just realized I might have one tiny problem. I live in an apartment complex (undercover carpark) and don't recall there being a wall socket nearby. But I'm sure there is one in the carpark somewhere. Although not sure how the neighbors will take to me running extension leads across the carpark haha. Will get the missus to scope it out and report back.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #8
Joe_L
Private
Rep

Update: Had the missus, with the help of a mate, plug in the ctek. Apparently it was OK and they set it to recond and left it overnight. She checked it again this morning to find the exclamation mark lit, and the mode had now changed to the car icon...meaning there's an issue with the battery or connection. Gonna get her to check it when she gets home from work to make sure the clips weren't disconnected when they closed the hood or something. But bracing myself for a new batt

hope they're easy to DIY. And does anyone know if there will be major issues driving it around without the battery registered/coded? I would only be driving it to go get coded.

Cheers guys
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #9
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_L View Post
Update: Had the missus, with the help of a mate, plug in the ctek. Apparently it was OK and they set it to recond and left it overnight. She checked it again this morning to find the exclamation mark lit, and the mode had now changed to the car icon...meaning there's an issue with the battery or connection. Gonna get her to check it when she gets home from work to make sure the clips weren't disconnected when they closed the hood or something. But bracing myself for a new batt

hope they're easy to DIY. And does anyone know if there will be major issues driving it around without the battery registered/coded? I would only be driving it to go get coded.

Cheers guys
Registering it just resets the charge profile. Battery could ger overcharged and long term that wouldn't be good. but for 1 trip driving it won't matter. Physically putting in the battery is easy, just need to undo a few bolts.
      11-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #10
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Cheers guys
New battery is a pretty easy DIY with basic tools. I did it on the side of the road and it took about 15mins
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #11
Joe_L
Private
Rep

Quote:
Registering it just resets the charge profile. Battery could ger overcharged and long term that wouldn't be good. but for 1 trip driving it won't matter. Physically putting in the battery is easy, just need to undo a few bolts.
Thanks man. Independent battery in laverton have the Bosch S5 574.035 in stock so if I need one will pick it up from there. I trust it'll do the job. mines only lightly tuned and I don't plan on doing anything too crazy to it....yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7smurfs View Post
New battery is a pretty easy DIY with basic tools. I did it on the side of the road and it took about 15mins
Awesome mate, will give it a go.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 10:19 PM   #12
Joe_L
Private
Rep

Another major update.

I've changed over to a Bosch S5 battery. Power seems to be okay now but getting errors and cant start the car.

When i went to try and fire it up, noticed that my key would not click into the slot?
Although when i push it in it seems to click and the power comes on, but the key fob wont stay in the slot and i cant start the car.

I also get a Steering Wheel Lock Fault (red steering wheel icon with padlock).

I spoke with my missus and since learnt that when the car started to die that time they tried to start it, they couldnt get the key out. Apparently they spoke with someone from BMW assist who recommended they just yank it out with force. Could this be why the key wont go in?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #13
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Dang looks like it could be a deeper issue.

I've read about a battery cable recall for e90/e92/e82. Not sure if it would have been performed here in Australia though?

The battery positive cable that goes to the fuse box was a bit flakey on these cars. It is located behind the glovebox.

Sounds exactly like the symptoms you describe:

SIB document:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1364258411

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820077
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804545
      11-21-2015, 11:51 PM   #14
Joe_L
Private
Rep

Quote:
Dang looks like it could be a deeper issue.

I've read about a battery cable recall for e90/e92/e82. Not sure if it would have been performed here in Australia though?

The battery positive cable that goes to the fuse box was a bit flakey on these cars. It is located behind the glovebox.

Sounds exactly like the symptoms you describe:

SIB document:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1364258411

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820077
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804545
Oh man

I've read and found some people were successful by just registering the battery.
Have a feeling it might not be that easy on mine though.

Some people had the steering column replaced. But surely it can't be thatthat.

Most people with the steering lock issue are at least able to get the key in.
Might need to just get it towed to active and have them check it out.

I never had any symptoms before this, car was running perfect.

cant believe all this just cos the car wasnt driven for a couple weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 01:04 AM   #15
Joe_L
Private
Rep

Found this thread and looks like this person had a very similar issue. Seems they just had to get an indy out to get the codes cleared via auto logic.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=750730&page=2
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 04:22 AM   #16
Joe_L
Private
Rep

OK so just like how the key was forced out, turns out i just had to force it back in abit and it now inserts/unlocks in place as normal.

But the steering wheel lock error is still present and wont allow me to start the car.
Hoping its just as simple as clearing the codes/registering the battery.

But being unable to start the car (and without the coding knowledge or tools) will make it difficult to take anywhere to get coded. Its also parked in a fairly low ceiling undercover carpark so towing could be a mission.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 05:07 AM   #17
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
There are several threads where people had this same problem. From memory fixes ranged from a new battery to a new steering column
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 05:20 AM   #18
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

So when you put the key in the ignition do you hear the electronic steering lock clunk at all? Or you just get an error on the dash? Are you able to turn on the ignition (press start button without foot on brake) and get power to the accessories?
      11-22-2015, 05:26 AM   #19
Joe_L
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
There are several threads where people had this same problem. From memory fixes ranged from a new battery to a new steering column
Yeh the issue only came up after i changed over to a completely new battery so we can probably rule that one out. Tried charging my old one but the charger kept indicating there were issues and it wouldn't charge.

Like you said, fixes I've read so far seems to be battery registration, software update, or new steering column...hoping its not the last one

Although I also read someone had the same issue and was scheduled to have the steering column changed. But he took it to another Indy and they just did a software update which fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 05:38 AM   #20
Joe_L
Private
Rep

Quote:
So when you put the key in the ignition do you hear the electronic steering lock clunk at all? Or you just get an error on the dash? Are you able to turn on the ignition (press start button without foot on brake) and get power to the accessories?
Nah i dont seem to get the usual steering lock click anymore when inserting the key.

I seem to be able to get power to all accessories okay when i insert the key. Pressing the start button without foot on brake also seems to work fine to power up the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 05:39 AM   #21
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeh the issue only came up after i changed over to a completely new battery so we can probably rule that one out. Tried charging my old one but the charger kept indicating there were issues and it wouldn't charge.

Like you said, fixes I've read so far seems to be battery registration, software update, or new steering column...hoping its not the last one

Although I also read someone had the same issue and was scheduled to have the steering column changed. But he took it to another Indy and they just did a software update which fixed it.
Good luck mate, seems to be an all too common problem
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 05:50 AM   #22
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Theres a counter associated with the ELV (electronic steering lock). If the steering lock fails to unlock the steering column a number of times and exceeds a maximum limit, you will get that warning light on the dash. This can happen when you have a low battery condition

This can be fixed with Tool32 (Part of BMW Standard Tools) which resets the counter. They are these two jobs:

steuern_elvcounter_cas_loeschen
steuern_elvcounter_elv_loeschen

I am not 100% sure if it will fix it in your case, because from what I read, the steering lock should still attempt to unlock even when it shows the error on the dash?