E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Help - No sound

09-20-2022, 04:40 PM   #1
HaksE90
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Help - No sound

Hi all I have a e90 325i 05 model
I have tried the holding volume and eject button and I'm guessing my eject button is gone since it doesn't do anything.

Just wondering if there is any other solution.

I don't think anything blew like amp or radio as I checked the fuses and they are all fine. It happen after I changed my shift knob to the f style.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 04:24 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaksE90 View Post
Hi all I have a e90 325i 05 model
I have tried the holding volume and eject button and I'm guessing my eject button is gone since it doesn't do anything.

Just wondering if there is any other solution.

I don't think anything blew like amp or radio as I checked the fuses and they are all fine. It happen after I changed my shift knob to the f style.
Did you do any wiring work when you installed the f style knob?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 04:32 AM   #3
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Im guessing you had to connect a new wiring harness to the blue connectors under the gear boot. This should not have affected the head unit though. If the eject and volume is not working, see if you can hear the disc drive motor running. If you cant hear it running then it is probably a power supply problem. Recheck the fuse first. The head unit, gets its power supply and audio inputs from the main harness that plugs into the back of the head unit. Not normally a problem unless you cut/tapped into this harness when installing your gear stick
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 11:51 PM   #4
HaksE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Im guessing you had to connect a new wiring harness to the blue connectors under the gear boot. This should not have affected the head unit though. If the eject and volume is not working, see if you can hear the disc drive motor running. If you cant hear it running then it is probably a power supply problem. Recheck the fuse first. The head unit, gets its power supply and audio inputs from the main harness that plugs into the back of the head unit. Not normally a problem unless you cut/tapped into this harness when installing your gear stick
I checked fuses and they seem fine I replaced them again and still same issue. I did see online on the loop system but not sure if I need it since my head unit was working before I installed.

One thing I didn't do was remove the battery before installing so I hope this didn't cause any problems. But car started etc just fine. Cd has ejecting sound and works but just the head unit no sound. And when I select fm or cd or am it does a weird glitch and flicks between stations back and forth and goes back to whatever I chose fm, am, cd.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 03:23 AM   #5
naenae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i DCT FBO

its your amp bro. it sits in the wheel well compartment and water mustve damaged it. happened to me. when i ripped it out it was all corroded
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 08:49 PM   #6
HaksE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by naenae View Post
its your amp bro. it sits in the wheel well compartment and water mustve damaged it. happened to me. when i ripped it out it was all corroded
If it's my amp what can I do? Can't really find one for replacement. Would the loop logic work? But I'm guessing sound quality would change?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 12:40 AM   #7
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
If it's my amp what can I do? Can't really find one for replacement. Would the loop logic work? But I'm guessing sound quality would change?
You could always upgrade you car audio system.... install a Helix DSP and run an aftermarket set up. Plenty of info on my build thread Hak
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 10:47 PM   #8
HaksE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You could always upgrade you car audio system.... install a Helix DSP and run an aftermarket set up. Plenty of info on my build thread Hak
Is the Helix DSP an amp? I've done a search and getting a bunch of different things haha I mean I wouldn't mind doing this but depends how much of a stretch as I seen a couple posts some saying gotta have some big bucks to do this.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 01:14 AM   #9
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Is the Helix DSP an amp? I've done a search and getting a bunch of different things haha I mean I wouldn't mind doing this but depends how much of a stretch as I seen a couple posts some saying gotta have some big bucks to do this.
Depends on the Helix DSP but yes, the Helix v8 is a dsp and amp combined. Yes an aftermarket system is going to cost money for speakers, wiring, installation tuning etc so it depends on your definition of big bucks
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 04:17 AM   #10
HaksE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Depends on the Helix DSP but yes, the Helix v8 is a dsp and amp combined. Yes an aftermarket system is going to cost money for speakers, wiring, installation tuning etc so it depends on your definition of big bucks
Is it possible to just run the helix and all my stock audio? I mean other aftermarket systems I was looking at are the updated CCC units with android as mine is the small oem version.

If I can run the helix to get sound going I will look into it more.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 02:03 AM   #11
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Is it possible to just run the helix and all my stock audio? I mean other aftermarket systems I was looking at are the updated CCC units with android as mine is the small oem version.

Yes you can run a Helix DSP from the stock head unit and OEM speakers. Happy to help with some advice Haks if needed
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 02:09 AM   #12
HaksE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes you can run a Helix DSP from the stock head unit and OEM speakers. Happy to help with some advice Haks if needed
Oh wow LOL I just took a quick google of the one you mentioned it's $2k super outta my budget haha. I was hoping to spend probably around $500-800 in total I mean my oem speakers sound great already so not chasing sound as I got 3 kids and can't really have it blasting haha.

Any other options other than helix? Or is oem probably best after that?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 05:03 AM   #13
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh wow LOL I just took a quick google of the one you mentioned it's $2k super outta my budget haha. I was hoping to spend probably around $500-800 in total I mean my oem speakers sound great already so not chasing sound as I got 3 kids and can't really have it blasting haha.

Any other options other than helix? Or is oem probably best after that?
Yep finding a second hand OEM amp is probably you best bet, assuming its the amp. If its the head unit then swapping out the amp wont help. You might have to take it to someone to check over and tell you exactly what has failed
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 10:17 AM   #14
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

Just gave up on aftermarket and dropped on a stock hifi amp. Sounds really good with my focal speakers.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 08:07 PM   #15
HaksE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yep finding a second hand OEM amp is probably you best bet, assuming its the amp. If its the head unit then swapping out the amp wont help. You might have to take it to someone to check over and tell you exactly what has failed
Would any audio place know what to look for? As tbh living in Australia i have found a lot of people that are shady and rip you off pretty often. I live out in sydney and just wondering if any audio place would know.

My mates experience was he had no sound in his golf and the local place here ran him $1200 just to look at why it wasn't working and found a "POTENTIAL FIX" and made him pay and it didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 06:12 AM   #16
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Would any audio place know what to look for? As tbh living in Australia i have found a lot of people that are shady and rip you off pretty often. I live out in sydney and just wondering if any audio place would know.

My mates experience was he had no sound in his golf and the local place here ran him $1200 just to look at why it wasn't working and found a "POTENTIAL FIX" and made him pay and it didn't work.
any reputable car audio shop should be able to diagnose if it is a headunit or amp
From what you have described it sounds like the head unit to me
You should be able to find a second hand one pretty cheap
Easy to swap over, if it doesnt work then have not wasted much money

Last edited by Socket; 04-25-2023 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 0