E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW doctors video on Increasing Power through changing Powerclass?

05-05-2021, 03:02 PM   #1
eurocarfan100
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2011

BMW doctors video on Increasing Power through changing Powerclass?

What is everyone's opinion on BMW doctor video on upgrading power and speed through programming using NCSExpert to chnage the power class?

I did the Bimmerlabs 330i tune to increase power. Is this needed? I ordered a 3 stage manifold which is coming soon and cannot wait! BMW doctor says this increases full power of the car and also removes the speed limiter or increases it. BMW wants to keep this a secret according to him to sell high trim cars.
Is the Bimmerlabs 330i tune enough or do we need to do this?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 11:45 PM   #2
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocarfan100 View Post
What is everyone's opinion on BMW doctor video on upgrading power and speed through programming using NCSExpert to chnage the power class?

I did the Bimmerlabs 330i tune to increase power. Is this needed? I ordered a 3 stage manifold which is coming soon and cannot wait! BMW doctor says this increases full power of the car and also removes the speed limiter or increases it. BMW wants to keep this a secret according to him to sell high trim cars.
BWW "Doctor" needs to lay of the coke. He's a massive smackhead and talks a load of bullshit. Sadly he probably sucks many stupid people into spending money with him.
Appreciate 3
e90yyc2425.00
      05-06-2021, 02:38 AM   #3
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 328i -> 330i

Power class "klasse_2" seems to be correct for 3 stage intake manifold engine (N52B30O0/N52B30O1):

But I wonder does it impact anything?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:44 AM   #4
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaBmw View Post
Quote:

BWW "Doctor" needs to lay of the coke. He's a massive smackhead and talks a load of bullshit. Sadly he probably sucks many stupid people into spending money with him.
+1

Just disregard literally everything this guy says on youtube. He is a clickbait troll giving out bad info.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #5
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Makes me wonder if these posts from new members are really the Dr. trolling us. Needs more clicks....

The other thought I have is how many people take U Tube videos' way to seriously, I have a recent hire in the office and he keeps commenting about things he learned on U tube and argues the advice given to him by his very experienced colleagues.
Appreciate 5
Biginboca3763.50
PhaseP1007.00
tetsuo1111227.00
      05-06-2021, 09:36 AM   #6
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Makes me wonder if these posts from new members are really the Dr. trolling us. Needs more clicks....

The other thought I have is how many people take U Tube videos' way to seriously, I have a recent hire in the office and he keeps commenting about things he learned on U tube and argues the advice given to him by his very experienced colleagues.
I often get comments on my YouTube videos asking questions that are pretty common knowledge on this forum.

Makes me think alot of young guys don’t know how to Google! The answers would come up on Google immediately, and much faster than typing the question on a YouTube video comment page and waiting/hoping for a response.
Appreciate 2
Noir883.00
spidertri397.50
      05-06-2021, 09:36 AM   #7
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:

There are some great DIY videos on youtube, but the key is getting information from multiple sources.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 328i -> 330i

Not interested in the video, but interested to know what does POWER_CLASS parameter do?
It does not impact DME work in any way?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 09:57 AM   #9
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

it's a check used so you can't buy a lower model car, and get the benefits of the higher model car with a flash of one of the stock calibrations (like, 328i to 330i).

If the parameter c_state_pow_clas_veh doesn't match what's stored in the CAS and internal memory of the DME, the engine will still run but it will run with reduced power in limp mode.

The ways around it are to change the power class in the tune to what's already inside the DME/CAS, or disable the check entirely. The 330i tune for the 328i is actually a modified stock 328i calibration, with all of the important settings copied from the 330i, but I still disable the check because it's just safer (since people often try to change it in the CAS, not realizing it won't do anything, and can actually make things worse).

This mattered more when these cars were new, a 325i was a lot cheaper than a 330i. You could have bought a 3-stage manifold and flashed the 330i tune for 1/10th of the cost difference, except people didn't know about the power class check so it ran in limp mode (there are many other differences between the two cars that make the 330i better, but most people only care about the power). People just assumed for a long time it couldn't be done.
Appreciate 3
Biginboca3763.50
Hotter72.00
      05-06-2021, 07:42 PM   #10
eurocarfan100
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
it's a check used so you can't buy a lower model car, and get the benefits of the higher model car with a flash of one of the stock calibrations (like, 328i to 330i).

If the parameter c_state_pow_clas_veh doesn't match what's stored in the CAS and internal memory of the DME, the engine will still run but it will run with reduced power in limp mode.

The ways around it are to change the power class in the tune to what's already inside the DME/CAS, or disable the check entirely. The 330i tune for the 328i is actually a modified stock 328i calibration, with all of the important settings copied from the 330i, but I still disable the check because it's just safer (since people often try to change it in the CAS, not realizing it won't do anything, and can actually make things worse).

This mattered more when these cars were new, a 325i was a lot cheaper than a 330i. You could have bought a 3-stage manifold and flashed the 330i tune for 1/10th of the cost difference, except people didn't know about the power class check so it ran in limp mode (there are many other differences between the two cars that make the 330i better, but most people only care about the power). People just assumed for a long time it couldn't be done.
Oh that’s how you coded it! A 328i calibration modified with 330i settings! Is this manifold swap and tune giving euro 330i power to anyone? Some claimed they got 272 at the flywheel. 330i also had some special exhaust and a few extra features. Bmw Doctor clearly looks like a fraud or crackhead trying to sell his stuff!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:16 PM   #11
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:

This actually has a lot of merit....
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 05:29 PM   #12
aphael
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh that’s how you coded it! A 328i calibration modified with 330i settings! Is this manifold swap and tune giving euro 330i power to anyone? Some claimed they got 272 at the flywheel. 330i also had some special exhaust and a few extra features. Bmw Doctor clearly looks like a fraud or crackhead trying to sell his stuff!
330i us spec. the 330i euro had the n53 which with direct injection and higher compression makes 272hp. The us spec 330i is 255
      05-07-2021, 06:14 PM   #13
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

They also had N52 330i's in the EU market, so that's not true. N53 came out a little later.

Highest spec stock N52s make 268bhp - barely any difference from the N53.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 06:41 PM   #14
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

What cars use these 268hp N52s? Is that all from just tuning? If so it seems they make stock the same added power that people get with custom tuning with the 3 stage. I was under the impression that n52s went to 260 and everything higher were mislabeled N53 engines
      05-07-2021, 07:12 PM   #15
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Z4 3.0si, X3, X5, 7 series (EU only).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 07:24 PM   #16
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

That's a lot more cars than I thought, guess the US z4 3.0si got the short end of the stick. I could certainly use 268hp. Going to check if any of those cars came with the GM6, maybe we can get an even better transmission calibration from a 268hp car instead of the x3 3.0si one that's available now that made what 260?
      05-07-2021, 08:09 PM   #17
eurocarfan100
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
That's a lot more cars than I thought, guess the US z4 3.0si got the short end of the stick. I could certainly use 268hp. Going to check if any of those cars came with the GM6, maybe we can get an even better transmission calibration from a 268hp car instead of the x3 3.0si one that's available now that made what 260?
I agree! Could use 268 for sure. I think maybe use the code from these cars for the ecu. Yesterday, hassmaschine explained he used the stock 328i tune and copied the code from the 330i onto the 328i stock code. Maybe copy it from the x3 3.0si or z4 3.0si, maybe we can get 268 hp? I am not sure how it works, but what if its possible? Like the x3 3.0si transmission tune doesn't work on the LCI models due to the security features. We have to see if its applicable on all.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 07:03 PM   #18
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

They did have different exhaust, which could contribute, but the engine itself is identical. I've looked at the calibrations, it's not obvious what the exact changes are for power, because there are many, many other differences between different models (that have nothing to do with extra power). Really, it wouldn't be any better than getting a custom tune on a 330i - you're going to be doing the same things. VANOS, torque maps, valve lift, fuel, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 05:41 PM   #19
toy4two
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F31B48 View Post

he has bold claims, but frankly I'm starting to believe him with my own e90 experience.

For instance, LCI cars never need water pumps. Turns out he is right.

Also that the infamous rough idle should first be fixed by upgrading the ECU and fuel modules, right again.

Maybe people have a vested interest in selling everything under the sun to fix that problem.

Adding 3-stage manifold does nothing on a car without 330i flash, this has also been proven right time after time.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 06:39 PM   #20
E90jacob
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 n52 fbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaBmw View Post
Quote:

+1

Just disregard literally everything this guy says on youtube. He is a clickbait troll giving out bad info.
Fr have y'all seen the one where he tells you to remove your eccentric shaft sensor?? He's a joke.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 09:57 PM   #21
Skoidat69
Secret Squirrel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328ix E91

Garage List
2007 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

There are some great DIY videos on youtube, but the key is getting information from multiple sources.
Quote:
Quote:

Before I attempt anything, I watch 10 videos on a topic. I look for commonalities on methods, tools and issues. Then I think about the 1st and 2nd worse outcome of things go sideways.. Sometimes it better to pay a shop to do it and attempt it the next time.. Then other times like when my water pump went out after paying a buddy to do it due a faulty WP, I had no excuse not to do it cause I would have had to be without a car for while waiting shop availablity, I said F it.. if I fix it, I save $$ and if it goes to shit, I learned something and have to pay a shop anyway
      08-06-2022, 08:10 PM   #22
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4two View Post
he has bold claims, but frankly I'm starting to believe him with my own e90 experience.

For instance, LCI cars never need water pumps. Turns out he is right.
That is definitely, 100% not true. The original pumps fail on both LCI and pre-LCI models at around 100,000 miles.

Quote:
Also that the infamous rough idle should first be fixed by upgrading the ECU and fuel modules, right again.
huh? I have never even heard of this "famous" problem.

Quote:
Maybe people have a vested interest in selling everything under the sun to fix that problem.

Adding 3-stage manifold does nothing on a car without 330i flash, this has also been proven right time after time.
That has been well known for years. I don't see how that gives this YouTube scammer any credit at all.
Appreciate 1
F31B48278.00