E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > URGENT: PCV valve breather hose broken after clip while changing 3 stage manifold,

05-08-2021, 09:06 PM   #1
eurocarfan100
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2011

URGENT: PCV valve breather hose broken after clip while changing 3 stage manifold,

I am in the middle of changing the intake manifold into a 3 stage manifold! I ran into a problem which was expected that the PCV breather hose broke before the clip. Now the hose is broken and the clip is still stuck. Any advice how to get the pesky plastic out and not damage the valve cover?

I marked it in red where it broke and blue to show where it’s still attached and not coming out of! Definitely going to get a new breather hose! Can I get it at dealer for cheap?

3 stage manifold is not on yet but most are removed, that was the last step and the other annoying box before I am able to take off the manifold. What should I do now? Should I wait till I get a new Breather hose or should I take off the manifold and get everything ready? Do I need a new breather hose either or can I duck tape it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:04 AM   #2
TriumphTim
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

I was able to get the two hose connections off under the manifold with long handle needle nose pliers, without removing the manifold. You just need to compress the right part of the ring and wiggle, it will release.

Carefully work the the valve cover connection, my VC nipple had broken off and my hose was broken like yours.

I have a N51.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
aphael
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Push and pull harder, use some pliers or vise grips if needed which isn't bad since the pcv hose is broken already. You need to squeeze the connector part really hard to get it off since it gets stuck over time
      05-09-2021, 10:05 AM   #4
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocarfan100 View Post
I am in the middle of changing the intake manifold into a 3 stage manifold! I ran into a problem which was expected that the PCV breather hose broke before the clip. Now the hose is broken and the clip is still stuck. Any advice how to get the pesky plastic out and not damage the valve cover?

I marked it in red where it broke and blue to show where it’s still attached and not coming out of! Definitely going to get a new breather hose! Can I get it at dealer for cheap?

3 stage manifold is not on yet but most are removed, that was the last step and the other annoying box before I am able to take off the manifold. What should I do now? Should I wait till I get a new Breather hose or should I take off the manifold and get everything ready? Do I need a new breather hose either or can I duck tape it?
Study the connector carefully. It takes some practice but these come off pretty easily when pinched correctly.

Depending on your orientation it has tabes on the 9 and 3 o'clock position and you need to squeeze on the 12 and 6 o'clock locations and simply wiggle off.

I was luck and my replacement manifold still had the hoses attached and I practiced on those.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 02:20 PM   #5
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Something like this below diagram I put together. Normally it is like an ellipses, with the shorter diameter of the ellipses having the locking tabs. When you press on the two sides at the long diameter of the ellipses, the shape of it becomes like a circle and locking tabs are spread out making it free.
Although inside there is one or even two o-rings that does the real sealing. They also get stuck sitting there that long. You may need to do a little bit of twisting back and forth at the same time to break the o-ring adhesion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-10-2021, 06:47 PM   #6
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Study the connector carefully. It takes some practice but these come off pretty easily when pinched correctly.

Depending on your orientation it has tabes on the 9 and 3 o'clock position and you need to squeeze on the 12 and 6 o'clock locations and simply wiggle off.

I was luck and my replacement manifold still had the hoses attached and I practiced on those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Something like this below diagram I put together. Normally it is like an ellipses, with the shorter diameter of the ellipses having the locking tabs. When you press on the two sides at the long diameter of the ellipses, the shape of it becomes like a circle and locking tabs are spread out making it free.
Although inside there is one or even two o-rings that does the real sealing. They also get stuck sitting there that long. You may need to do a little bit of twisting back and forth at the same time to break the o-ring adhesion.
These two answers will help you the most.

I found that using this type of plier also aided when knuckles were getting torn up
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 06:57 PM   #7
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
I've found that spraying the connection with silicone has helped with these types of connectors. You can replace that hose with 3/4" PCV rated hosing: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1748288
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 02:36 AM   #8
PJLux
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i

In anticipation of doing this job I'd like to have the PVC hose handy, just in case. Is this the part in question?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-...157559528~brp/

I only ask because if you change the model from 328 to 330 on the side (Does this fit my vehicle?) it changes to "No".

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #9
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJLux View Post
In anticipation of doing this job I'd like to have the PVC hose handy, just in case. Is this the part in question?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-...157559528~brp/

I only ask because if you change the model from 328 to 330 on the side (Does this fit my vehicle?) it changes to "No".

Thanks.
Yes that's the hose you need for the plastic valve cover cars with integrated pcv and a dual pcv port 3 stage manifold. The reason it says it doesn't fit if you put 330 is because the us spec 330 was only made in 2006 and back then they had the external pcv system which bolted up under the intake manifold therefore using a different hose setup. Highly recommended to have a spare hose at hand
PJLux96.50
      05-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #10
PJLux
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
Yes that's the hose you need for the plastic valve cover cars with integrated pcv and a dual pcv port 3 stage manifold. The reason it says it doesn't fit if you put 330 is because the us spec 330 was only made in 2006 and back then they had the external pcv system which bolted up under the intake manifold therefore using a different hose setup. Highly recommended to have a spare hose at hand
Awesome, thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #11
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJLux View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info!
Oh and just to confirm, the actual hoses were fairly cheap as you can get a chinese one if you really wanted and get away with it. Just have one handy and at worse, sell an unused spare here later (it'll sell). Cheap investment for not worrying if something goes wrong.
Appreciate 1
PJLux96.50