E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dorman "OE FIX" ESS?

04-28-2021, 04:18 PM   #1
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Dorman "OE FIX" ESS?

Does anyone have any experience with the Dorman "OE FIX" ESS? It claims to solve the oil contamination problem:

Quote:

The original equipment VVT eccentric shaft sensor on certain vehicles typically fails due to seepage in spot welds. This Dorman OE FIX replacement sensor is designed with a stronger ultrasonic weld to prevent oil contamination.
  • Upgraded design - this replacement VVT eccentric shaft sensor features ultrasonic welds to increase durability
  • Failure-resistant construction - made to prevent common failure from oil intrusion in original equipment spot welds
  • Application specific - made for certain BMW model years
  • Quality engineering - designed in the United States and backed by decades of automotive aftermarket experience

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-77342-917-030.aspx
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 08:30 PM   #2
Mantraxalos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Manual

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
2006 330I  [0.00]
I don't have any experience with Dorman. I usually heard less than positive results from their products. Amazon as of now has three 5-star reviews and two 1-star reviews for their ESS. From those reviews alone, I'd probably just pay the money and get a VDO one.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 09:22 PM   #3
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i XDrive

Garage List
I bought the VDO ESS and replaced it when I did my vcg. I've has zero issues with it. Not something I want to do again because of a sensor for sure.

Whats the price of the dorman one?

On fcp, the VDO ESS is $213, expensive for what it is I know but worth not opening up the valve cover back up.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 12:01 AM   #4
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Dorman supposedly bases their business in fixing shitty designs and selling a better version but idk how much of an improvement can even be made here. These sensors last a long time if the seal around them is good. My car still has the ordinal one 13 years and 130k.

I put thrust arms in my car a couple years ago, they were dorman and supposedly would fix the issue with the fluid filled bushing failing and the bushings in the new arms lasted barely 3 months and were bought from the dorman store in Amazon. I wouldn't try my luck with this ESS.
      05-12-2021, 08:14 AM   #5
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
All of my experiences with Dorman parts have been less than stellar. The concept is usually good, but when coupled with cheap parts from China and poor quality control it never works out well.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0