E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 no ignition or start, with steering lock symbol displayed in dash

02-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #1
N52bigblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

E90 no ignition or start, with steering lock symbol displayed in dash

Last edited by N52bigblock; 03-31-2020 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
lab_rat395.50
      11-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
wreckman
Rep
Drives: 325i E93 2012

Interesting, I have the exact same problem with the same two errorcodes. Will check this

Do you remember if something had to be replaced in these cases, apart from solving the short itself? I mean, if the short is on the BUS-PA line, which is a power line, if it is badly designed it could actually cause some power regulator to fail (I guess based in the CAS in this case). Maybe it's designed well with current limiting
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
wreckman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj35 View Post
The fault/short was actually inside the outside driver's door handle. It has sensors inside it that you can't replace as they are cast into the plastic.

You can just unplug it, but your comfort access will not work. If you want everything fully functional, the door handle must be replaced. The BUS_PA line is a communication line, between the DME, CAS, ELV, CA and the 2 front outside door handles, not power.
Aha ok I got confused on the TIS diagram because the ELV also has CAS_ELV+ and CAS_ELV- wires, which I interpreted as the data-lines and the BUS_PA which also goes to the ELV I interpreted as some kind of power line. But maybe it's the other way around (ELV+/- are power-lines)

I see now in the diagram that the door-handles get the BUS_PA, the 30G_F<61 power line, and a line called BR which I assume is a ground connection, so then the BUS_PA line would indeed be some kind of 1-wire comm bus.

I'll just start with disconnecting the CA-module's harness then, and see if the ELV starts working again. If that works, I can at least get the car home from the dealer to check the doorhandles myself (it's been standing at the BMW dealer for 4 weeks now, they want to replace the steering column for $2000 "no guarantee it will fix your problem!" as I guess they didn't diagnose anything more than seeing that the ELV didn't respond).

BTW I also see now that there are multiple videos on YouTube showcasing broken wires and wire insulations on the comfort access door handles, seems to be a common issue by itself..
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
wreckman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckman View Post
I'll just start with disconnecting the CA-module's harness then, and see if the ELV starts working again. If that works, I can at least get the car home from the dealer to check the doorhandles myself
Update - I couldn't reach the CA-module connector easily, so I disconnected the driver's side handle instead (as it is easy to remove), and the car started up fine without errors, and the ELV whizzed away just like normal

The rest of the CA system didn't work with the handle disconnected, but maybe that is because it needs some re-initialization or something.

In any case, super-thanks for the hint, like I wrote the shop wanted to change the steering column for $$$ and I'm lucky I didn't let them do it and saw this first..

Btw the wires weren't faulty in my case, they looked pristine, so the fault must be inside the handle and it's molded and unserviceable and a new one color coded must be ordered from BMW Germany for $250. Still cheaper than the other wild goose chase of changing steering columns and random ECUs..

This is something that should be put in BMWs ISTA or something so all shops know about this failure mode. Seems to be not uncommon and their current recommendation in ISTA I guess is to replace the steering column, which the shops blindly follow I think.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2022, 07:33 AM   #5
drag330
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj35 View Post
The fault/short was actually inside the outside driver's door handle. It has sensors inside it that you can't replace as they are cast into the plastic.

You can just unplug it, but your comfort access will not work. If you want everything fully functional, the door handle must be replaced. The BUS_PA line is a communication line, between the DME, CAS, ELV, CA and the 2 front outside door handles, not power.
Aha ok I got confused on the TIS diagram because the ELV also has CAS_ELV+ and CAS_ELV- wires, which I interpreted as the data-lines and the BUS_PA which also goes to the ELV I interpreted as some kind of power line. But maybe it's the other way around (ELV+/- are power-lines)

I see now in the diagram that the door-handles get the BUS_PA, the 30G_F<61 power line, and a line called BR which I assume is a ground connection, so then the BUS_PA line would indeed be some kind of 1-wire comm bus.

I'll just start with disconnecting the CA-module's harness then, and see if the ELV starts working again. If that works, I can at least get the car home from the dealer to check the doorhandles myself (it's been standing at the BMW dealer for 4 weeks now, they want to replace the steering column for $2000 "no guarantee it will fix your problem!" as I guess they didn't diagnose anything more than seeing that the ELV didn't respond).

BTW I also see now that there are multiple videos on YouTube showcasing broken wires and wire insulations on the comfort access door handles, seems to be a common issue by itself..
Thanks guys, this helped me bigtime. I couldnt start the car for 2 Weeks, the bmw dealer and Independents told me i need the steering column replaced for about 1300€..

I had a low battery after this Winter and almost no car usage. Orange ELV steering error with locked steering wheel and no ignition. New battery did Not help. Also resetting the elv counters and updating CAS did nothing at all for me.
After reading this Thread i decided to give it a try, so i removed the passengers doorhandle with Comfort Access Form the car. The steering wheel immediatly unlocked and the Car startet.
Saved a lot of money and stress…
Drivers side Comfort Access still works fine, so im okay with it.

Thank you guys, Hope this helps out others like it helped me.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 11:29 AM   #6
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

I have a similar issue with my car.

I have the following warning when scanning with Carly.

00A114
Description:
CAS: Line fault, el. steering lock

I did have a steering wheel light on the dash which went away when I turned the wheel.

I have not yet checked to see if the steering lock functions.

My comfort access unlocks the trunk and starts the car without the key in the ignition but does not unlock either door.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0