E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Can you repair Xenon headlight or do I need to replace?

05-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Invertedflight
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Can you repair Xenon headlight or do I need to replace?

I have my own 07 e92 335i but the girlfriend just bought a 2010 e90 335i and there is a problem with one of the headlights. She has the Xenon lights, the chrome cover on the inside has come loose and the bulb is floating in the socket.

Can I pull this out and repair it or does she need a new light assembly?

I am pretty good with this stuff and can do the work if its worth the time, otherwise is there a good place to buy a replacement?

Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Shouldn't it still be under warranty if it's a 2010? If not, yes, it is possible to repair. You'll have bake the headlight in your oven for a while to soften up the adhesive sealant, then remove the lens from the rest of the headlight assembly, and from there you should be able to snap the shroud back into place assuming nothing is physically broken.
      05-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Invertedflight
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

In the event something is broken is it possible to parts?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertedflight View Post
In the event something is broken is it possible to parts?
I'm sure it's possible, but I doubt you'll be able to source the parts from BMW directly - they probably only provide the entire assembly.

Also, I should correct my previous post - baking open the headlights works on the E92, but not the E90 - they use a different type of adhesive which is more difficult to work with.
      06-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
fventura03
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

just bought a replacement headlight and it seems I have this same issue

View post on imgur.com

any advice? already emailed seller, I spent a good bit of money on these lights and was already mad that he wrote on them, this is just the icing on the cake :\

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Shouldn't it still be under warranty if it's a 2010? If not, yes, it is possible to repair. You'll have bake the headlight in your oven for a while to soften up the adhesive sealant, then remove the lens from the rest of the headlight assembly, and from there you should be able to snap the shroud back into place assuming nothing is physically broken.
This is crapola. You cannot bake open E90 headlights.