E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > iDrive malfunction. WTF?

06-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
bringsmewomen
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

iDrive malfunction. WTF?

When I got into my car after work, i started my car, and I noticed for no apparent reason, the iDrive failed. Here were the symptoms:
  • SOS malfunction icon on the dash
  • Radio didn't work
  • Knob on iDrive didn't work
  • basically nothing on the screen was selectable.

Then after 10 minutes of driving, all of a sudden, it restarted and it worked... Why?

And hopefully this won't happen again? Anyone have this problem before?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
crow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i Carbon Black Msport

Happens to me about 4 or 5 times a year but every time I take it to the dealer they dont see the error code. I would take it in ASAP if you want it fixed.

After 20 mins with the car on the system will restart so everything you said will work again.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Happens...damn gremlins. For future reference, if you have a pre-CIC iDrive, you can reset it by hold the 2 eject buttons and volume button in until the cd/dvd drive eject their contents.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow View Post
Happens to me about 4 or 5 times a year but every time I take it to the dealer they dont see the error code. I would take it in ASAP if you want it fixed.

After 20 mins with the car on the system will restart so everything you said will work again.
Lol there's no error code. It just freezes.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Yeah, you can just do the reset and it will work after wards.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
crow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i Carbon Black Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Lol there's no error code. It just freezes.
Thats still an error though but it might not log the error. Who knows it could be a parity error..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

What gen iDrive?

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, AP1

Took me forever to figure this one out, I had the exact same symptoms. Dealer won't be able to help, it doesn't store any faults. Just let it reset itself, or do it yourself. You can also stop, get out and lock the car. Recycling the key like this will do it.

Anyway, it turns out for me, it was my phone freezing it it up. I now let the car fully boot up before activating the bluetooth on my phone. Since trying this, I've started my car hundreds of times with no errors (except once - the ONE TIME I forget to wait to activate my bluetooth). I'm 100% positive that was the culprit, no question in my mind. FWIW, the phone is the piece of garbage known as the Blackberry Curve.

Here's my thread about this on another forum, you can read the whole saga: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1373368 (If links there aren't allowed, search "frozen idrive / sos malfunction" on that other E90 forum. You'll see a thread titled that, started by me - granadablanca).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited by granadablanca; 06-10-2010 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
I think BB Curve is what I have (it's a work phone, so sorry I don't know for sure!), and I have never had any recurring issues with iDrive, so I wouldn't blame it on the Curve. In the 4 years I've owned the car, I've had it freeze up twice, and each time, the CTRL-ALT-DEL method (CD eject, DVD eject, power) reset it immediately.
      06-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, AP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
I think BB Curve is what I have (it's a work phone, so sorry I don't know for sure!), and I have never had any recurring issues with iDrive, so I wouldn't blame it on the Curve. In the 4 years I've owned the car, I've had it freeze up twice, and each time, the CTRL-ALT-DEL method (CD eject, DVD eject, power) reset it immediately.
I can only speak for myself, but I'd bet the farm it's the bluetooth that was freezing it for me. Not saying it was because it's a BB Curve specifically, just sharing that part in case that's useful info.

Mine was freezing every week on average. Once I started waiting before activating, it never happened again (except the one and only time I started the car with phone already activated). It's now been months with perfect results. Pretty strong odds, but again, that's just my case. Check my link above to compare if my symptoms are identical to yours.

Problem is, you can't prove a negative, but I'd wager at least a few bucks that if you wait for the iDrive to load before activating your phone, you'll never freeze again. At least for some of you.

Last edited by granadablanca; 06-10-2010 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #11
andrewket
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible DCT

'07 here, blackberry curve as well. I've never had a lock up. The only thing I can think that is different is I have a few phones paired with the car, so it sometimes takes a few minutes for it to come up as it scans for the various phones.

Andrew
2010 Honda Civic LX
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
bringsmewomen
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Damn, you guys are more useful than any dealer could be and less time consuming. Love you guys...

But yeah, I have a blackberry with bluetooth. It's just weird that after a year of having it, all of a sudden it reacts differently when nothing has changed. But the reset procedure is helpful. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringsmewomen View Post
Damn, you guys are more useful than any dealer could be and less time consuming. Love you guys...

But yeah, I have a blackberry with bluetooth. It's just weird that after a year of having it, all of a sudden it reacts differently when nothing has changed. But the reset procedure is helpful. Thanks!
Please...no homo...

Dealers sell and fix cars, like broken stuff and wear and tear items. But many does not own the car and live with it day by day like us. If the car doesn't log the error code, there isn't much they can do but try to replicate the situation plainly based on your verbal description.

I had my iDrive frozen a long time ago in the summer. Back then I was using Sony Ericsson phone, and I suspected it was the SoCal heat that overheated the iDrive. The three-button restart won't work, and the screen just went black and flashes on once a while. I had to park and lock the car for about 20 mins or so. I even took a video showing to my SA the entire thing. But he can do little, and somehow refuse to reprogram it.
Now I'm using iPhone and no problem so far. Knock on wood~
      06-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

This happens to me too. I've got lots of other elecrical malfunction issues, so I'd have no idea where to start. Neither does the dealer.

Man, I miss the days when you could fix any electrical problem in your car with a multimeter, wire strippers, a soldering iron, some shrink wrap, and a big ass sledgehammer.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringsmewomen View Post
When I got into my car after work, i started my car, and I noticed for no apparent reason, the iDrive failed. Here were the symptoms:
  • SOS malfunction icon on the dash
  • Radio didn't work
  • Knob on iDrive didn't work
  • basically nothing on the screen was selectable.
Then after 10 minutes of driving, all of a sudden, it restarted and it worked... Why?

And hopefully this won't happen again? Anyone have this problem before?
The iDrive computer shut down for whatever reason thus all the iDrive functions ceased to operate. One of those functions is the MOST gateway so the SOS (Assist TCU) malfunction on the screen as it is on the MOST ring.

There should be at least a TCU error code stored in your ECU.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #16
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5

Garage List
i brought this issue back to dealer twice but no luck, no codes were stored.
the latest sw seems fixing that problem and it happens less, or if it really freeze up, use your 3 fingers to do the quick reset, "volume, both eject on the CD slot and DVD slot" together.
Appreciate 0