E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > CIC HDD to SSD

10-31-2015, 01:23 PM   #45
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

.......and just upgraded to Road Map Europe West Premium 2016-1. No problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #46
zz6938
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Cic Hard Drive Image

Hello , my name is john, i have 2011 x5 and my cic hard drive is not running anymore and the nav is out of service. All other cic functions work.

Since my Harddrive is not spinning anymore, i am not able to get a clone image of the HD.

would you be willing help me and share a clone image of your hard drive?
thanks in advance
John
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #47
hdmark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G35

bumping the thread to see how everyones system who did this is handling.

Im looking into grabbing a zheino drive (would love to grab a reputable msata with an adapter like http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1721576...&ul_noapp=true instead but i guess if the zheino is proven to work)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #48
jakk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F34 335

did you try this id like to do it this way if poss ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmark View Post
bumping the thread to see how everyones system who did this is handling.

Im looking into grabbing a zheino drive (would love to grab a reputable msata with an adapter like http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1721576...&ul_noapp=true instead but i guess if the zheino is proven to work)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 07:16 AM   #49
hdmark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakk View Post
did you try this id like to do it this way if poss ?
nope, never got around to it and i dont think im going to. it runs decently enough right now, and id rather use the money/time elsewhere at the moment at least
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #50
DervJim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91 330D Touring

I've just tried doing this upgrade too, using Macrium Reflect software to clone the drive.
I know the SSD is suitable (Zheino 128gb) as it was in my friend's M3 previously after he did this himself, but recently donated the drive to me. I needed to clone my own disk though since I had newer maps etc.

It has mostly worked except that the Navigation option of the CIC menu is disabled, and it either hasn't copied the music that was present on my disk, or has, but can't see it (it just stays with 'please wait' on the display instead of displaying the music that ought to be there with it being cloned.

Are there any common things that would cause it to 'just about' work fully like this, but not quite? Seems a bit odd. It took about an hour to clone using this software but I don't know what's considered 'normal' (obviously hardware used will affect this - am using an i7 macbook fwiw).

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #51
DervJim
Private First Class
Rep

Well I tried again this time wiping the SSD and removing the partitions from it, then using different software that I saw someone else had success with - EaseUS Copy to clone the disk. I selected the 'sector by sector' setting and it all took longer but the outcome is the same - most of the CIC works except navigation and the stored music on the drive.

Not sure what to try now - any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 08:32 AM   #52
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

I've never had a successful copy myself either. But, in trying, I fully believe that the "system" is not contained on the HDD. As such, it will always boot and give you the menus, but it fails to mount the extra information contained on the hard drive to let those "applications" work (such as nav).

Case in point, try booting it without the hard drive attached. It will basically give you the same result; at least mine did.

I have not proven it yet, but I believe getting into the system and looking at the boot log will show why the hard drive isn't mounting. I have an Ethernet adapter to try this (you can telnet into the system), but haven't done so yet. It's just such a pain to keep removing all the trim just to try.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #53
DervJim
Private First Class
Rep

That's a very interesting post actually.

I must admit that I did have mine switched on at one point with no drive in but I can't recall exactly what it would/wouldn't do specifically.

Not sure I'd quite have the know how without a bit of digging online to get to the boot log myself, specially if you need particular hardware that I haven't got but it does make me wonder.

I know the SSD I've got is suitable for this because my friend had it working fine in his old M3, but the question for me is why it's obviously not doing a completely perfect carbon copy of the HDD.

Tonight I'm going to try it again (in fact I might start now as I don't think I need the car again today) but using the Paragon software described on this thread. I saw on one thread (maybe this - can't recall) that it HAS to be a bit by bit copy, so maybe the programs I tried already weren't doing this.

Worth one more try anyway since I still have the front of the head unit accessible....

But yeah, I like your theory about the system itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #54
DervJim
Private First Class
Rep

Well I ran mine without the HDD installed (or the SSD) and it basically ran ok aside from the stored media and the satnav.

Interestingly it's not 'quite' the same as with the SSD installed.
With no disk at all, I am able to still open the navigation option and can see the map, but it just fails to do anything if you attempt to search for a postcode or address etc, as you might expect.

Whereas with the cloned SSD, the navigation function is disabled (but visible still) in the main menu, and cannot be selected.

I'm not sure really what difference that makes.

It's also odd that this cloning process seems to work fine for some people but not others.
Why is this? E.g. is it because people are not using the exact same software options as others have done when it's worked? Or something to do with their own hardware somehow?

I'd love to know.

I notice in Paragon it has 2 options for a raw copy:

1) "HDD raw copy", and
2) "Partitions raw copy"

I think the HDD one ignores disk structure so presumably isn't any use unless you already set up the exact same size partitions on the new disk, whereas option 2 includes the structure so that everything should be as per the original?

It's running now on the partition raw copy and says it'll take 14 hours compared to the 1-2 hours max the previous attempts have taken....

Last edited by DervJim; 08-27-2016 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #55
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

You need to do a hdd raw copy

Copy options
– HDD raw copy to copy the hard disk in the sector-by-sector mode, thus ignoring its information structure (e.g. unallocated space or unused sectors of existing partitions will be processed as well). This can help to avoid problems with hidden data created by certain applications or the system administrator. However, it will take more time to accomplish the operation.
– Partition raw copy to copy the on-disk partitions in the sector-by-sector mode to successfully process unknown file systems. However it is not recommended to enable this option when working with supported file systems as it takes more time to accomplish the operation.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #56
DervJim
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah I saw the descriptions but I thought that meant that if I did the HDD raw copy it wouldn't copy the partitions/partition sizes, just the data from them if you see what I mean.

Is that definitely right then that it should be the HDD one? It's a few hours in now so I don't mind cancelling it if it's wrong doing to the partition one like it currently is.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #57
DervJim
Private First Class
Rep

Just realised it was your original post/thread so that's good enough for me! lol

Will go cancel it and start it again with that option, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #58
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DervJim View Post

I'd love to know.
Those that have failed have not done a sector by sector clone. Hidden data won't get copied over without a sector by sector clone, hence the copied disk will not be functional. It's as simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #59
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DervJim View Post
Just realised it was your original post/thread so that's good enough for me! lol

Will go cancel it and start it again with that option, thanks.
What version of Paragon are you using?.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #60
DervJim
Private First Class
Rep

Suite 15 I think it was offhand.

Will be really interesting to see if it works after this attempt. I have more faith in it going well this time since the previous programs claimed they were doing sector by sector clones but were done in around an hour, whereas this is taking several hours.

Seems to be going a lot faster with the HDD raw option so in the morning when I get up I can hook it up and see if it worked. Sooooo, hope it works.

The irony of all this is that earlier in the week I was in the UK doing a lot of miles and using the satnav a lot, and cursing the slow response of zooming in & out of the maps - one main area in which an SSD is meant to give a real benefit, but now that I'm back home on the IOM it's very rare for me to need satnav as the island is about 30 miles long and I know most of it pretty well!

Last edited by DervJim; 08-27-2016 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 02:58 AM   #61
DervJim
Private First Class
Rep

*Update*

Now working perfectly!

So to summarise I used EaseUS software and Macrium software and it failed with both of those, but then used Paragon software and used the setting above that Ao1 confirmed (HDD Raw) and it has worked just fine.

Comes on more or less instantly, major difference in speed of map zoom too. Love it.

Thanks for the assistance.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 04:15 AM   #62
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Glad it worked for you. It's really simple if you clone the drive correctly. The only possible reason for a clone to fail (if it was done correctly) would have been bad sectors on the hdd you were copying.

(Keep the hdd for a back up)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 05:02 AM   #63
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

It's a shame that an SSD isn't used as standard, even the NBT can take an age to boot which can be really annoying, so well done all
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #64
DervJim
Private First Class
Rep

Really? I'd read a few comments to say the NBT was super quick even with a normal HDD. It'll be a long time before I can afford a car with that anyway, so I will enjoy the upgrade I've just done to CIC

Yep, you're quite right from the look of things and how it worked for me Ao1 - interestingly, on another forum (think it was bimmerfest) there was a comment from a guy saying he's succeeded in expanding the music storage partition without needing to use qnix stuff, and is going to share the details with everyone. Will be interesting to see what comes of that.

That said, the way the CIC system sets up its imported music folders and so on is a bit annoying, but it could be just me not knowing what you can & can't do with it yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #65
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

It seems quick when going from CIC to NBT but it's still seems an age when I jump in the car between clients, and have to wait for Navigation to boot up before I know which way to go
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #66
DervJim
Private First Class
Rep

It's all relative I suppose when you look at it like that.

But it's nice that I also now have a backup with the original disk since we know drives can & do fail (although I've always found laptop drives to be more enduring than 3.5" drives).
Appreciate 0