E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Cattless downpipes

12-30-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
coleybmw335
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335I DCT

Cattless downpipes

Hi,

I no this will have been covered so many times, I'm thinking of going cattless down pipes & jb4, The price range for different make downpipes vary, Wondering if anyone has used these ones & how do they rate them. As I've read that the top make ones apparently have better flow, But the fact that I would be going cattless would be better flow anyway.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142430143603

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
Smokey33
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 335i DCT FBO

Theres quite a few downpipes options, MTEC seem cheap and fitment and quality is ok. Ive got evolve on mine, there a bit more but more trustworthy to most people. They were already on the car.

I wouldn't use a JB4, its certainly not recommended if you have a DCT gearbox which it looks like you do going on your profile. MHD is what you want, with a custom remap from a decent tuner who knows the DCT.

JB4 is useful if your going with Meth and PI, but even them most people use both. Its not a proper tune, its just tricking the DME. MHD is a proper 'remap' in the sense of the word.

I went through the forums here on the US section mainly and N54 tech for ages deciding on a tuner. I was recommended Dimitri of bq/buraqtuning by most because of his knowledge of the engine and gearbox combo. He's been great for me. Still replies 18 months after he took my money, if I have any problems, questions, etc, and is currently re-doing my map as ive recently updated all the firmware/software in the car at BMW.

EDIT, I see your quite close to me. Id happily let you have nosey at my car and take you out if its helps.

Last edited by Smokey33; 12-31-2018 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
coleybmw335
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335I DCT

Thanks for the reply, I looked at MHD but its only android, Which I haven't got, Plus in the middle of buying a house so money a bit tight, That's why when I saw them downpipes I was interested because of the price.

I got a quote off celtic tunning at £295 for a remap, Would it be best to fit the downpipes then tune on a dyno.

Would like to have a nosey around yours, What does the FBO stand for on yours?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
Smokey33
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 335i DCT FBO

You can pick up a android phone or any device for next to nothing. Surely a family member has one? It couldn't be easier. I was unsure at first but MHD really is excellent.

FBO just means full bolt on mods. Intake, downpipes, charge pipe, intercooler and map. I'd do them all then get it mapped. You will also probably want to budget for at least new spark plugs and ignition coils if nothing else for peace of mind.

Anymore than just a map with the DCT you should be looking at a decent tune. The dct is a seriously complicated bit of kit,you want it looking after. A proper tune can change the clutch plate pressures to prevent slippage. The box can take a lot of power and torque provided it's tuned right.

This forum doesn't let me type my tuner I will PM you.

I'm in stafford so Derby isn't too far.
Appreciate 1