E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Thinking of upgrading to M3 brakes....

05-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

Thinking of upgrading to M3 brakes....

As the title states, I'm pondering the idea of upgrading my 335 brakes to the standard OEM M3 brakes. I've already learned that a new mounting bracket would need to be fabricated to mount the calipers, And I may need to upgrade to stainless steel brake lines. I also know that my rotors don't exactly have fins, but more of a channel for cooling where as the M3 rotors are cross drilled and have the vented fins. What I'd like to know is some specs between OEM 335 brakes and OEM M3 brakes (diameter size, piston per caliper, contact surface area ect.)
Given those specs, I'd like to know which are important when upgrading brakes.

A BBK would be great but, i dont have the money to shell out. Im hoping i can take some of this info, and see if it's financially viable for me to do this upgrade. Thanks.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I think the M3 has a different master cylinder. It also has a different brake booster and DSC unit. I'm not sure if you really need any of those parts. As far as piston count, they're all single piston floating calipers.

What exactly is your goal with the brakes? Do you track your car? Are you getting fade? Are you looking for shorter stoping distances? Better pedal feel?
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

why don't you just upgrade the pads? I think that should be more than sufficient for DD and some track time...........

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 03:09 AM   #4
Ghost170
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: VIP Sport 335!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
I think the M3 has a different master cylinder. It also has a different brake booster and DSC unit. I'm not sure if you really need any of those parts. As far as piston count, they're all single piston floating calipers.

What exactly is your goal with the brakes? Do you track your car? Are you getting fade? Are you looking for shorter stoping distances? Better pedal feel?
+1

AA AE GP HR LC M3 KW BMS BMW LUX CYBA STRI WORK HELIX MTECH LSWEEE(Wavetrac)!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

It depends what your use for the car is. Tracking? On a racetrack the M3 brakes aren't that much better compared to the 335i brakes.

You may want to try a more performance oriented pad compund first.

Besides, a BBK probably won't cost more than the M3 brakes, unless you can get them from a wrecked car.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep

I want to be 100% completely up front with everyone who reads this thread- I'm mostly looking into this for aesthetic reasons.

Heres the story. I'm watching where all my modifications are taking my car and from a "looks" perspective,i could not be happier. My 2 biggest mods have been my H&R coils and my SF-71s that just recently got mounted. I absolutely love the way my car looks.

I was looking at my brakes the other day through my new 19s, and felt that something gets lost when your eye gets to the rotors and calipers. I thought about painting my calipers but i feel like they would be too small and it would look tacky. I thought that by upgrading to M3 brakes, it would add a bit of a sporty flair that better suits the car.

The cross drilled rotors would look amazing, but I'm more interested in if there is a difference in size between the 335 and M3 brakes. And if there is, will there be a more noticeable feel in performance, such as stopping distance and pedal feel.

regarding price, I've seen OEM sets that have been replaced with BBKs go for about $300 or so.

Just wondering if anyone would know how much (if more) contact area the M3 brakes have vs the 335s. i want to do this, but I would only truly consider doing it if there is braking performance to be gained.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
06E90Rostik
2006 join date crew
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Re: friction area

I doubt M3's will be bigger. The rotor is bigger, but its also drilled, which means you loose contact area.

If you really want performance, consider just swapping 335 rotors with 2 piece ones from Z4 35is. Same size as 335's so will fit perfectly and better performance in terms of better heat management.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06E90Rostik View Post
Re: friction area

I doubt M3's will be bigger. The rotor is bigger, but its also drilled, which means you loose contact area.

If you really want performance, consider just swapping 335 rotors with 2 piece ones from Z4 35is. Same size as 335's so will fit perfectly and better performance in terms of better heat management.
The "2 piece" rotors from the Z4 doesn't offer any performance benefits except that it's lighter and since aluminum hat does not transmit heat as much, it's slightly less likely to damage the hub due to excessive heat. However, on a car that's doing upgrades PURELY for looks, I would just get some drilled rotors and be done with it.

The bigger rotors on the M3's brakes actually do offer tangible benefits. First, the larger radius will allow the brake to apply torque at a higher multiplication factor. Second, the M3's rotors are true "floating" design, meaning the rotor and the hats are actually physically separated. There's some real performance benefit to having said design. Not only does it decrease weight, it also allow the ring part of the rotor to expand/contract independently of the hub. Plus the separation between the rotor and the hub allow more ambient air to enter the interior rotor vanes to help keep the rotor operating at peak temperature.

Having said all that. The master cylinder and the pressure it supplies from the M3 is different from the run of the mill 3 series. Meaning a swap of rotors, calipers, and carriers onto a 335i will actually DEGRADE brake performance because the 335i can not supply the same pressure to the larger caliper pistons (the calipers may not look any larger, it's the piston area that counts). Swapping M3 brake components to upgrade a 335i's brakes will actually need to include the master cylinder as well.

The most "eye catching" upgrade will still be a big brake kit with 6 or 4 piston fixed calipers. No one will mistake a red or yellow caliper for stock calipers and they do look b*tching. Couple that with some drilled rotors you're sure to catch the attention you desire.

But if you're into real performance upgrade, you just need the 2 piece floating RacingBrake rotors Harold is selling through his website and some better pads.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
I feel you OP, I wish there was an affordable brake size upgrade. Unfortunately the M3 brake swap requires a lot of work and will end up costing more than you wanted.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Save your money for now and scope out the user classified section. Someone is always parting out their car and BBKs do pop up from time to time for a good price. They also go fast so be sure to check everyday. You can also put up a WTB thread and hopefully someone will contact you.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for the depots everyone. I think I may just paint my calipers and look for some cross drilled rotors.

Hack, I've read so many of your posts. The amount of info this forum gets from you is astounding. You must be in some form of engineering.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananaz18 View Post
Hack...You must be in some form of engineering.
Nope. Marketing/designer by trade. Although I did work at an aftermarket manufacturer (up until a few weeks ago, anyway) that makes driveline related parts for 'Merkin muscle cars new and old.

Everything I learned about brakes and suspension I learned from listening to people who REALLY know what they're talking about, and went out to the track and confirmed it.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0