E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > only swapping the springs?

05-07-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
hateface
e92 lci bumpers are ugly
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI

only swapping the springs?

Would swapping out OEM springs on a 2011 335i with low mileage to H&R sport springs increase shock wear? I've heard that it's not wise to just swap them out on "older" cars or those with higher mileage because of the significant wear increase but is this also true for new cars?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
hateface
e92 lci bumpers are ugly
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
why even respond with that when you could of used the time to simply answer my question....

did that make you feel better?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

It'll wear out even new OEM shocks quickly and ride quality will be horrible. Seriously, this questions is asked at least once a week. We always tell the OP not to do it, they do it anyways and then post a little while later that they hate the setup and upgrade the shocks.

Do springs and shocks at the same time. You'll have better ride comfort off the bat and you'll only have to pay for labor once.
      05-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Fisherbin is right. While the stock shocks won't wear out that quickly, you'll quickly grow tired of the ride quality. I made this exact mistake myself. Upgrade the shocks and springs at the same time or go with a coilover set up from the start. I didn't listen and wasted time and money.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
hateface
e92 lci bumpers are ugly
Rep

Thanks for your responses, I gave the search a try but didn't know how to word it without excluding what I was looking for or including unnecessary stuff. I guess I'll just go with koni sport shocks when the time is right. I think I've seen people talking about those being a good combo.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Good choice and smart decision. You'll be much happier with the konis over the stock shocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hateface View Post
Thanks for your responses, I gave the search a try but didn't know how to word it without excluding what I was looking for or including unnecessary stuff. I guess I'll just go with koni sport shocks when the time is right. I think I've seen people talking about those being a good combo.
      05-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
why even respond with that when you could of used the time to simply answer my question....

Yes it made me feel better, can't stand lazy people! And the time to respond with the same answer that has been provided 500 times already would take far longer, not to mention the same question was asked only a few threads down. Try doing a little more homework next time.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
D335NUTZ
The Blue Beast
China
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi in Montego Blue

This topic.... Sigh

Cobb AP Stage 2+ | BMS DCI | UR Catless DP | UR Chargepipe | Tial BV 50mm | BSH OCC | ETS FMIC | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | KWv1 Coilovers | Volk TE37 TC Kline Ed.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
furtado_4real
Private
Rep
Drives: 3series

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Paring up an aftermarket spring with more aggressive spring rates will definitely cause your OEM non-sport or sport shocks to wear out over time. This is due to the fact that OEM shocks are simply not meant to handle the more aggressive spring rates. Think of it this way, you're putting a shorter spring with a longer shock body. The shorter springs will cause the shocks to compress to its maximum setting every time you hit a bump due to the longer travel distance. What this can cause is what's known as bump steer and jarring of the ride. This is what for the most part affects ride quality.

Let's break this down in terms of cost. You'll spend about $230-300 bucks for aftermarket springs, another $250-300 for an installation, and another $65-$125 for an alignment. When your OEM sport or non-sport shocks blow your going to have to spend another $700-800 on shocks, another installation fee, and another alignment. If you calculate that all together, you would saved a whole lot more money doing it right the first time around.

With that being said, I would recommend for you to check out a coilover system. The answer is simple; you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

If you're on a budget, I would most definitely recommend for you the ST V1 coilovers. Coming from the makers of KW suspension systems the only main difference between the ST Variant 1 and KW Variant 1 is the steel they use. The ST V1 will give you the ability to adjust the height of your vehicle with pre-set damping from the engineers at KW Suspension. While KW uses Stainless Steel for their shock housing, ST uses Galvanized Steel. However, this does not mean a drop in quality, durability, or appearance. Although coilovers that use galvanized steel are more prone to corrosion due to environmental influences (i.e. mixture of salt water); those in the lower states: California, Texas, Florida, Nevada, etc. don't have to worry about corrosion. Those in the mid to upper States that snow still don't have much to worry about as long as they do not drive in heavy snow conditions upon where salt is used on roads. to further ensure those with doubt about Galvanized Steel, ST has corrosion resistant zinc plating on all of their threaded strut housings for further protection. I'll go ahead and shoot you over a PM with more details
Appreciate 0