E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > Fix for tail light scuff

10-23-2023, 09:26 PM   #1
miDrive
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, BMW X5

Fix for tail light scuff

Hi folks.

Wanted to share a fix that worked for me. Others here might find it useful.

I have a new M5 Competition. Walked back to my car this afternoon and saw a 6-7 inches long white paint scuff mark on the rear tail light. Tried removing the paint with my thumbnail, but it wouldn't budge.

I get home and lookup some YT videos. Look through my car detailing equipment. All suggestions are heavy compounds, orbital sanders/polishers, removing the tail light, etc. Quite involved solutions.

I remember that I bought PolyWatch to remove scratches from my watch crystals. The product comes with a buffer drill bit. So, why not try it on the tail light!

- Cleaned the area with 70% alcohol
- Cleaned with water
- Applied a toothpaste thick line of Polywall over the paint/scuff line
- Put the drill bit into my drill
- Ran the drill at 75% speed
- 30 seconds later, the scuff is gone

No scratch marks. No hairlines. No swirls. Nothing. It's buffed like a watch crystal.

tl;dr
If you have a tail light paint stuff, try PolyWatch with the buffer drill bit. Get it on Amazon. It works extremely well.

Note: I don't work for PolyWatch or Amazon. Just sharing an experience.
Appreciate 3
Jbrown74032643.50
Llarry15975.50
      10-23-2023, 11:00 PM   #2
Advika
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by miDrive View Post
Hi folks.

Wanted to share a fix that worked for me. Others here might find it useful.

I have a new M5 Competition. Walked back to my car this afternoon and saw a 6-7 inches long white paint scuff mark on the rear tail light. Tried removing the paint with my thumbnail, but it wouldn't budge.

I get home and lookup some YT videos. Look through my car detailing equipment. All suggestions are heavy compounds, orbital sanders/polishers, removing the tail light, etc. Quite involved solutions.

I remember that I bought PolyWatch to remove scratches from my watch crystals. The product comes with a buffer drill bit. So, why not try it on the tail light!

- Cleaned the area with 70% alcohol
- Cleaned with water
- Applied a toothpaste thick line of Polywall over the paint/scuff line
- Put the drill bit into my drill
- Ran the drill at 75% speed
- 30 seconds later, the scuff is gone

No scratch marks. No hairlines. No swirls. Nothing. It's buffed like a watch crystal.

tl;dr
If you have a tail light paint stuff, try PolyWatch with the buffer drill bit. Get it on Amazon. It works extremely well.

Note: I don't work for PolyWatch or Amazon. Just sharing an experience.
Hi Friend,
Thanks for sharing this fix! It's always helpful to have DIY solutions for common problems. I appreciate the step-by-step instructions and the recommendation for using PolyWatch with the buffer drill bit to remove tail light paint scuffs. It's great to hear that it worked so effectively for you. Your detailed explanation will undoubtedly help others facing a similar issue. Kudos for sharing your experience and helping the community.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 12:58 AM   #3
spicyB48
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Thanks for the tip! I would make sure to wax or ceramic coat the taillight after polishing as the polishing has certainly removed any existing protection.
      12-12-2023, 07:23 PM   #4
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

I know with headlights after polishing, you want to reapply UV protection so would assume the same for tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 08:03 PM   #5
Sparch
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i, 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyB48 View Post
Thanks for the tip! I would make sure to wax or ceramic coat the taillight after polishing as the polishing has certainly removed any existing protection.
I second that sentiment.

It’s possible the clear protective layer has been sacrificed. What is left is now fully exposed to the elements.

I know this because someone just backed up into my M340i and the headlamp got a small scuff which I know could be buffed out, however because the dealer does not repair, they only replace the insurance had to pay $2500 for a new unit. Their excuse was that they do not “clear” lights. 😳.

Not my insurance and I am not going to refuse a brand new unit.

Keeping the old light which is still in great shape aside from a 1”X1” superficial scuff. Hoping to flip it for a few bucks.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 09:16 PM   #6
spicyB48
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparch View Post
I second that sentiment.

It’s possible the clear protective layer has been sacrificed. What is left is now fully exposed to the elements.

I know this because someone just backed up into my M340i and the headlamp got a small scuff which I know could be buffed out, however because the dealer does not repair, they only replace the insurance had to pay $2500 for a new unit. Their excuse was that they do not “clear” lights. 😳.

Not my insurance and I am not going to refuse a brand new unit.

Keeping the old light which is still in great shape aside from a 1”X1” superficial scuff. Hoping to flip it for a few bucks.
Yeah, you could probably sell the old light for a couple hundred bucks. They make special 2K clear which replaces the clear protective layer (do not use normal 2k clear coat, it will cause damage to the plastic) and someone could easily use that to repair the light after sanding it down.
Appreciate 0