E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Engine squeal after PCV replacement

03-20-2024, 01:44 PM   #1
jpfei05
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

N54 Engine squeal after PCV replacement

I recently changed my PCV valve and flapper vent hose on my N54 with a FTP upgraded version valve and rein vent hose from ECS tuning.

Car has 140k on it and had the factory pcv setup reason changed both was because I had some oil in my intercooler and charge pipe and occasionally some white smoke out exhaust after cold start when first accelerating.

Now I have a faint squeal/chirp at idle that goes away when I remove the oil cap. Ive double and triple checked everything was installed correctly. going to do it one more time to make sure the valve is seated correctly in the valve cover but i don't think thats the issue but i could be wrong.

the valve looks a little different from the one i pulled out but i got both a new valve and the part that goes over it to keep it secure.

Valve cover gasket changed about a yr ago.

Is it possible I got a faulty valve? Or is it more likely that everything is working correctly and theres a seal leak somewhere.

my oil pan gasket leaks.

Just trying to avoid paying for shop to diag if its a simple fix.

It never did this with the old valve but prob because it was worn out i could blow thought it in both directions.

id re install the old one just to confirm if i could but i accidentally threw it away.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 06:54 AM   #2
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Can you put the old PCV parts back on and see if the sound goes away? Probably a bad aftermarket flapper valve or PCV valve.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 01:16 PM   #3
jpfei05
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Can you put the old PCV parts back on and see if the sound goes away? Probably a bad aftermarket flapper valve or PCV valve.

I was actually going to try to re install the old valve to see if it changed anything but like an idiot i accidentally threw it away. From what i found the only way to get another oem style is to purchase a new valve cover. heres a link to the replacement i used

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ftp-moto...t/sg84036~ftp/

the description says Increase reliability on a stock and upgraded N54.

I even called ECS and asked about the issue but they're saying they normally dont have issues with those valves. The directions that come with the valve say if spring pressure is too high to cut a link off the spring but when i called ecs they said not to cut it.

heres some pics and video i recently took
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 01:18 PM   #4
jpfei05
Rep

more pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 01:20 PM   #5
jpfei05
Rep

this is a video of the issue, notice around 0:05 i pull the oil cap you can hear the hiss of pressure leving vc and the noise goes away

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EHu...ew?usp=sharing
Appreciate 0