E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Pro's and Cons of Koni FSD/Eibach Pro Kit

03-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
Donia330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 330i BSM

Pro's and Cons of Koni FSD/Eibach Pro Kit

Those who this setup how do you like it? Or would you go with something else? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
Donia330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 330i BSM

no one?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

The Koni FSD/Eibach Pro Kit are a great and comfortable setup! KONI FSD (frequency selective dampers) are a must for fine tuning your BMW's ride, and handling capability. KONI FSD adjusts damping automatically, so there is no need to manually adjust the shock absorber. These shocks replace OEM shocks and actively controls stiffness, and dramatically improves handling. KONI revolutionized shocks, with the first ever adjustable shock. It comes as no surprise that KONI remains the market leader in shock absorbers. Pair these shocks up with some Eibach Pro Lowering Springs which provide a slightly more aggressive and raked stance than your stock suspension while still maintaining a comfortable ride. On average Eibach Pro Lowering Springs will lower your vehicle 1.2 - 1.8 inches, providing for a lower center of gravity and improved handling. Pro Springs feature more control than that of the OEM springs, but are still comfortable for daily use. Eibach Pro Springs are an excellent choice for street and occasional track use. This KONI FSD and Eibach spring combo is the perfect suspension setup!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

dont get this setup if u want your car to look lowered. it looks like sport suspension on non sport cars, and barely anything on a regular car

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
dont get this setup if u want your car to look lowered. it looks like sport suspension on non sport cars, and barely anything on a regular car
what do you recommend instead? What about koni yellows + HR sport?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
E90 Skye
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

If you're going for a dramatically lower look then don't do this setup. However I have this setup and after riding/driving other cars with different suspension setups, the koni fsd + eibach pro kit is the best combination of smooth ride and improved handling over stock. It actually rides much smoother and more composed than the OEM Sport suspension, while still eliminating body roll a little. If you're looking for really aggressive handling then this might not be that dramatic of an improvement over the sport suspension, but it is a dramatic improvement over non sport (which is what i had).
CURRENT - E36 M3 Alpine White | BC Coils | FROMERLY - 2006 Jet Black 330i | Premium Package | ZF AT | LUX 4.0 | Jlevi M3 Front Bumper | CF Mtech spoiler | Gloss Black Grill | Msport wheel | Blacklines | Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit | BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You shouldnt be lowering a car with springs and shocks anyhow, I think the Koni FSD with oem springs would be best, the ebiach pro kit is going to seriously cut the life of the FSD's all lowering springs will, just make sure you get the right kit for OEM springs.

Lowering your car get coilovers
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 03:36 AM   #8
BMW Dedicated
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Guys, I have a MAJOR PROBLEM. Please be nice, and help me if you are kind and willing

I feel bad because I'm using my E90 account to post about Koni FSDs on an E46 Sedan, but I need help. For my Girlfirends 2004 325i Sedan (non-sport) we waited for 4 months before the Koni FSDs arrived. The ride can be "HARSH". It does not absorb like we read, and no one in our entire shop understands why its riding bad on the stock srpings. This sedan is riding firmer than an older 1998 VW Beetle that I put Koni Yellows/Eibach springs on with wheels 2 inches larger, and much less sidewall in the tire.

This has me absolutely at a loss for words, and a loss of almost a grand to have them installed. We can't get used to this ride, and this isnt something I can afford to simply take apart and send back. I need to know whats wrong. There has to be something worng. Do you guys have any idea if the Koni FSDs for the stock suspension are valved identically with the FSDs that come with the Eibach kit? If so, maybe this will make the spring and shock absorber work more in harmony. I can go over a railroad track and my tires feel suspended and locked out in a very harsh manner all at the same time. It's like a nightmare suspension that handles like Im on rails with stock springs, but MAN do these things kick you in a bump. They can handle minor bumps, but throw something large at it, and you're definitely going to feel it.

I have not yet done the 4 wheel alignment on the car. I wanted some feedback first, because I really may get a loan to get these things off of the car. Is the alignment a major factor in ride quality? It goes in a straight line, and without putting it to the machine, it appears to be in proper camber on all four, but perhaps Im wrong? I'll stop here, because I know I have burdened you guys with this, but would lover to find a fix. Makes me feel so irresponsible to suggest my girlfriend to go with FSDs and then they beat her to death every dat. It's always on the edge of "intolerable", but never gets fully fledged in "harsh" mode. For a lack of better words.....its like staying clos to a climax, but in a negative way. We always feel like we are about to be jarred, or the next bump surely will.

Specs:
Front control arm bushings changed with the shocks last Thursday
Stock 2004 BMW 325i Non-Sport
Tires: 2,000 Miles on Continental DWS (An improvement in ride, I might add

I hear a slight rattle in the front when going over some bumps. The rattle is equal on both sides. Did we miss something that I should have replaced when doing the shocks?
Thank all of you who took the time and had the respect to help me. It is very appreciate. Again, we are a body shop for almost 30 years, and Koni and Tire Rack are speechless. So, I need some people who have real understanding with physics and suspension or else your going to see my big mug on youtube trying to find someone who does! Haha! Okay, I made myself laugh. It's time to sleep now. Again, Thank You All!

Brent
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
^^^Man, sounds strange. I have FSD's and they ride awesome and take even large bumps fine (no worse than OEM sport that I had before). Unless they're just a bad set, I'd go back to the people who did the install and have them check that everything is tight for one because there should not be any clunking/etc. Then get an alignment and see if that works. If all of this still is intolerable, then get them taken off and see if you can sell them on here...

To the OP - I have H&R sport and FSD's and love it but you have a sedan which doesn't the pro kit lower those a little more than the coupes?
      03-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
P4335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Msport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
You shouldnt be lowering a car with springs and shocks anyhow, I think the Koni FSD with oem springs would be best, the ebiach pro kit is going to seriously cut the life of the FSD's all lowering springs will, just make sure you get the right kit for OEM springs.

Riiiight, that's why the Eibach Pro Kit/Koni FSD is packaged as a kit...

I bought this and have to say I'm moderately satisfied with the look and performance. I swappped the stock Msport suspension for the Eibach/Koni FSD kit and it lowered the front end slightly and even more subtly for the rear. Still, looking at my stock vs new setup I have to say I achieved my goal of lowering for purposes of daily driving duties without having to worry about the compromises of a slammed ride (taking speed bumps/driveways at angles, looking out for bumps/dips 100 yds in front of me everytime I drive, hitting parking blocks, etc).

As for the ride, I'd say it's definitely better than stock. The car feels more planted and seems to absorb road irregularities alot better than the stock suspension. Where potholes and bumps would be jarring with the Msport suspension, the Eibach kit soaks them up without as much drama.

Last edited by P4335i; 04-01-2010 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post

errr...what? a lot of coilover kits have a minimum lowering spec based on the spring height alone and then you have the option to lower it even further. a lot of folks would argue that coilovers are overkill for getting rid of unsightly fender/tire gap.

FSD's are designed for OEM height but the Eibach prokit spring is not an agressive drop and therefore they work fine together. so well in fact that they are packaged together by these 2 companies.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #12
kcalhoun27
loves his turbos
Rep
Drives: coupe

i think your issue is a preload on your swaybars when installed. i only say this because the same thing happened on my 04 325i when i put the fsd/prokit on it. it wasnt until i put the car on a lift, disconnected everything, and re-installed it, on a lift, that it looked proper, and rode properly. try that out, i have a strong feeling it will fix your issue. hope that helps
Appreciate 0