E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Thinking of dropping my e90 335i with Sport Suspension with Eibach/Koni FSD

12-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Hellrot Sachin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 335i

Thinking of dropping my e90 335i with Sport Suspension with Eibach/Koni FSD

Hey everyone.. I just picked up my 2008 335i sedan last Saturday and I'm already working on mods.. I've done some reading but couldn't find how much drop to expect from the sport suspension to the Eibach Pro-kit.. Also, do the shocks affect ultimate ride height at all? I'm looking for a very subtle drop. Also, roads here in Chicago are horrible so I'm hoping to retain some good ride quality. I've read good things about the Koni FSD (don't plan on ever going to a track) but I'm hoping that someone can let me know how this setup with ride compared with stock. I came from an e36 M3 with H&R coilovers and don't want it to be that rough of a ride,

Thanks!

Sachin
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
Hellrot Sachin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey everyone.. yes, I've searched, I just can't really figure out how much drop to expect on top of my already lower "sport" suspension.. anyone? Thanks so much!

Sachin
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Hellrot Sachin
First Lieutenant
Rep

TTT..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Original equipment on Lamborghini Gallardos, KONI FSD (frequency selective dampers) are a must for fine tuning your BMW's ride, and handling capability. KONI FSD adjusts damping automatically, so there is no need to manually adjust the shock absorber. These shocks replace OEM shocks and actively controls stiffness, and dramatically improves handling. To answer your question, shocks do not affect ride height at all.

The Eibach Pro Lowering Springs which provide a slightly more aggressive and raked stance than your stock suspension while still maintaining a comfortable ride. On average Eibach Pro Lowering Springs will lower your vehicle 1.4" in the front and 1.0" in the rear, providing for a lower center of gravity and improved handling. Pro Springs feature more control than that of the OEM springs, but are still comfortable for daily use. Eibach Pro Springs are an excellent choice for street and occasional track use. I'll go ahead and shoot you over a PM with more details! In the meantime here are a picture of an E90 just like yours with this exact same setup for you to check out!

[img]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/KONI/DONE.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

The lowering numbers quoted above are for NON sport package equipped cars.

With your car the drop will not be as much, rather more like 0.5inch all around. This is what I would consider subtle and sounds like what you're looking for.

The Koni FSD is a great shock, and when teamed with the Eibachs is a great combination.

Shocks do not usually affect ride height however in some cases they can. I have heard of a story where someone believes the Koni FSD shocks caused their ride height to increase a little.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
Hellrot Sachin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info guys.. it's weird.. the pictures of cars with Eibach Prokit look as low as my car does with sport suspension.. I'd like something that tucks the wheels a bit better, but again, I don't want to compromise ride (yes, I know, nothing is perfect). Is there anyone that has gone from Sport to the pro-kit and actually could tell a difference in ride height? What's the experience with H&R Sport and Koni FSD? I also have read some about the Dinan RSM that affords an extra 10mm of travel in the rear - intuitively this should help ride quality.. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Sachin
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 03:35 AM   #7
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
I have FSD's and H&R sport. I've had this combo for about 8 months and am very happy with it. It is just a little more bumpy on bad roads compared to the ZSP that I had.

With that said, I will tell you that almost everyone on here has said that H&R sport/FSD is a bad pair up. But I would say that most of the people that say this are just saying so because it's not "Recommended" by the "Proffesionals" to pair up FSD with H&R sport. The FSDs were supposedly designed to pair up with the pro kit or ZSP/stock springs. So if I were you, I'd read every thread I could about this.

I know there at least a couple other people that have H&R sport/FSD combo and couldn't be happier with it like me.

Again, with all that said, lol....why not just get a good set of coilovers and avoid all this headache? That's what I'd do right now if I could do it all over again. I know that sounds like I'm contradicting myself but...

And lastly, I have a coupe. From the pics I've seen, the pro kit drops the E90 more than the coupe. And H&R sport is even more so comparatively...
      12-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

The Konis are from so long ago (the TireRack test is from 2006 IIRC)... but yet sound so cool.

Any updates? (Or are they updated regularly, keeping the same name?)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
Babydragon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Chicago roads suck
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
Babydragon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

I've been looking into the same thing but I have an xi, so the h
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #11
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivaar View Post
The Konis are from so long ago (the TireRack test is from 2006 IIRC)... but yet sound so cool.

Any updates? (Or are they updated regularly, keeping the same name?)
I just installed a set of FSDs on my 07 335i and they are all that they are cracked up to be. Both ride quaity and handling improved. Bumps that used to upset the car and make it feel like it was going to break in half barely faze it now and the car is much less skittish over rough surfaces and feels more planted.

I kept the stock ZSP springs because I have no interest in lowering the car.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 05:51 AM   #12
sleepergm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 335i M-Tech

I have the FSD Koni shocks and the HR Sport on my E92 ... the ride is very similar to the sport suspension I had - and the combination I think handle better around the corners. In terms of stance it is exactly where I want it in Hong Kong with our roads. But not that aggressive. If you want to tuck the wheels go with the HR race ...
Appreciate 0