E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DPF help

12-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
DPF help

I've had the DPF warning come up on my idrive display, it appeared last weekend. I've done 400 miles on the motorway and high speeds since last Sunday and the warning still comes on after 10 minutes or so driving.

I've tried google for advice, but so much of it contradicts the last thing I'd read, so I'm looking to see if anybody has had this problem recently and cured it.

When the warning appears, do I need to pull over, switch the engine off and clear the warning for a regeneration to take place, or can a regeneration take place when the warning is still displayed??

I've also seen something about DIS software being used to force a regeneration, would anybody on here have that software, or is a visit to a dealer called for???
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
raf555
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

i got the same prob on my e90 330d so had it taken out and remapped.

the car wont regenerate if it has faults logged so will have to get codes cleared then force a regen.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Having it removed was another option I came across, don't really want to do that though.

Does the car smoke a lot under acceleration without a DPF??
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

You will need to clear the codes before a regen can happen. I think some garages can force it for some cash.

Question is why hasn't it regen, unless its high mileage or low mileage short journeys car. What temps does it achieve?

I replaced both my stats as mine would struggle to achieve 76c in the cold with heaters on. The stats had failed and the new ones sit at 92c every journey within about 10mins.

If yours doesn't achieve at least 78c it will never regen and get clogged.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

Lots of useful information in several threads on this forum. Including posts from myself on the issue. It will not regen while error codes present. I have my own diagnostic gear but in the end I got shot of the dpf. Cant say I have ever regretted it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #6
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
so my 1st port of call should be getting the thermostats changed by the sound of it, I'm under the impression the temp gauge is in a hidden menu, could someone please let me know how to get the temp gauge up so I can check what temps my car is running at please.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
You will need to clear the codes before a regen can happen. I think some garages can force it for some cash.

Question is why hasn't it regen, unless its high mileage or low mileage short journeys car. What temps does it achieve?

I replaced both my stats as mine would struggle to achieve 76c in the cold with heaters on. The stats had failed and the new ones sit at 92c every journey within about 10mins.

I'm going to get my thermostats checked and take it from there, also get the faults cleared. mileage is 88000 on a 2006 car, daily 30 mile round trips on clear A roads, no sitting in traffic, also at least monthly 400 mile round trips on the motorway.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
chriz1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d?

That type of journey should see a regen no problem mine regens from anything from 70degrees up, and that's town driving too,seen it happen Many a time,so you shouldn't have an issue with regen, lie, you say get the stats changed first clear the codes and take for a spin.
Let us know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Aure you sure your car is regenerating from 70c ?

I read somewhere it needed at least 75c coolant temp and a certain exhaust temp.

Hidden menus are here : http://e90.wetpaint.com/page/BC+hidden+menus

Essentially you just need to press the trip stalk in for 10 seconds and go to menu 19 UNLOCK. I think you have to add up the numbers on the display to find your passcode, after unlock press until you hit your passcode number then go to menu 7 once unlocked.

Hidden menu should clarify it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
G_M_S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330D

Interesting this, as the symptoms and subsequent faults all support the information supplied by various members here - pity that BMW don't join the dots so well and look at these clearly related issues:

My problems in order of occurance and fixing:

1) DPF Warning light appeared the day I picked up my car from the dealer 55k - result dealer had to replace the DPF
2) Economy below expectations - no action or recommendation
3) Identified as briers mentions above through the hiden menu that the engine was running cold - result both stats replaced by dealer (BMW Warranty paying for main and me EGR one as I wanted it replaced) Economy improved.

What's the bet that the DPF issue (couldn't get it to regen) was caused by the cool running car (evident from the economy issues)?

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing - imagine where we'd be with out this (and there are others, apparently) forum?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

I think BMW didn't fit a temp gauge because the temperature varies a lot.

I guess it's quite hard for them to know how hot or cool in this case the car is running when they have it in for work/service. Therefore it's important people check their running temps on diesels. A decent Indy will change them both for just over £200.

Cool running is certainly going to produce dpf issues eventually. You may get it warm enough on occasions to prolong the impending failure but once you fall below 80c you are close to issues.

Before my stats were changed I would find coasting, cold weather and heaters all made my temperature drop. All 3 made it worse. I had been running at around 83c for the last year perhaps the main stat failed some time ago, then the egr gave up and I struggled to get above 76c.

Before at 83c my dpf regenerated every tank, now at 92c, coasting, cold or heaters don't affect the temp at all, I expect the book guideline of a regen every 1,200 miles as there should be enough passive heat to help burn some carbon.

Another advantage is I think I get slightly more power as before my car would limit red line by those white line indicators on the rev counter when cool. Now at 92c it seems to rev slightly higher.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
chriz1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d?

Yes defiantly mate I've witnessed it on more than 3 occasions I'm using scangauge 2 http://m.scangauge2.co.uk/index.php?...328ea61bceafcb
Anytime from 70 degrees up, but what seems to initiate it is a heavy right foot floor the throttle for a second or two going up a long steep hill of example,you see the exhaust gas temp rise then it rockets upto 500 degrees plus,
With my type of driving 80% town the rest motorway it regens roughly every 350 miles,and lasts for approx 15 mins.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
v1nn1e
Rep
Drives: e93 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post

I recently got alerted through the i-drive of a 'particle fault' and it said to contact BMW. I don't usually drive the car on motorways and certainly haven't done so for a while so I concluded that this was the reason.

Having read on other posts that the regeneration process may not kick in because the fault has been registered, I didn't know what to do. I booked it in at the local BMW garage.

Yesterday, my misses said lets try a motorway run. I was a bit reluctant to do this as i didn't want to damage the dpf and also after reading that the regeneration wont occur because of the fault.

After a good 30 mile round trip keeping the car above 2500 rpm and throwing in a few cheeky overtakes in single lane carriages, the alert/error disappeared! I am now assuming the dpf is clear for now and i don't have to worry about the alert/error coming back for a while.

Is this a safe assumption? or should i still take the car to BMW?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

As far as I was aware no it wont regen once that warning comes up on dash. It wont once certain error codes are stored. Particle filter bank 1 blocked , think its 480A something like that, it wont regen by itself then. Read the OBD
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
simes205
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D F31 Msport

Just out of interest is there a way of finding out whether a regen has/ happening?
Mine is M42T2 without idrive.
Do I need an OBD port reader to do so?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

You will need inpa/dis plus lead to find out when it last regened
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #17
simes205
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D F31 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
You will need inpa/dis plus lead to find out when it last regened
something like this?

http://************/bx6drxq

So no need for a decent OBD reader?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Well after having a cleaner flushed through the system to try and remove the blockage, it worked for about a month and now the dpf warning has come back again. I thought I might get a bit longer out of it, but it wasn't to be.

So now I'm looking into getting the dpf removed, I don't want the part where the dpf is to be hacked open and the dpf removed, I want the section removed and a replacement pipe added. I want to do this because I want to keep the dpf incase mot rules change further down the line and still have it to put back on, I'm told I can get my filter cleaned which I would look into if necessary.

Ecotune seem to have a good rep, but are a bit too far away, would anyone who has had this done like to recommend the people they had do it and how much it cost if you don't mind please. Also could you let me know if you've had any issues due to having it done.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
John320d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E93

What alerts you that a re- gen is taking place? I have never noticed anything different whilst driving, and I would say I do more town driving than motorway.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

Holding gears longer, changing down, less power, lots of ticking from very hot exhaust when getting out of car, 'burning' style smell from hot exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #21
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d e91 M Sport

I have removed the dpf on my 2006 330d 2 weeks ago and installed an ecotune pipe with a remap, I carried out the work myself although the actually removing the dpf it self was a right pita! fitting the replacement ecotune pipe was a breeze, but I must say since the dpf removal its running really well with improved pedal response and mpg and very happy with the results, my next delete will be the swirl flaps and egr which i'm hoping to do in the next few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #22
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilly View Post
I have removed the dpf on my 2006 330d 2 weeks ago and installed an ecotune pipe with a remap, I carried out the work myself although the actually removing the dpf it self was a right pita! fitting the replacement ecotune pipe was a breeze, but I must say since the dpf removal its running really well with improved pedal response and mpg and very happy with the results, my next delete will be the swirl flaps and egr which i'm hoping to do in the next few weeks.

Cheers oldbilly, did you post a thread about doing the dpf removal?? Sure I seen something recently. I've seen the ecotune pipe/delete remap, do you mind me asking how much you paid??
Appreciate 0