E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Servicing



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-31-2018, 09:55 PM   #1
Huskla
New Member
United Kingdom
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: E90 330d
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Servicing

Hello guys I'm new to the forum but you can expect to see me on here often as I'm a happy new owner of my first big litre engine and it is a 2006 330d Auto. From speaking with the previous owner it's had a dpf removal and its mapped stage 1, so I'm enjoying the diesel smell (not really) and loving the rear wheel power insanely!

I'm very much a n00b after browsing the posts round here everyones terminologies are on point and they know what they're talking about. I've got a passion for cars, and know them to a fairly basic level but not an expert at all.

I've owned the car few months now, it's due for its service (should of serviced from purchasing tbh but moneys been tight)

I'm now ready to give it the FULL WORKS, I'd like to ask your opinions on the best fluids, steering, brake, oil to give it the full works.

Any other things I should consider for it aswell whilst I service it?

I've actually got a few issues with the car but maybe save that for another thread?

Hopefully these boards are active, I remember being on forums a long long time ago when I used to have dragonball z signatures lol
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 01:05 AM   #2
nick46
Second Lieutenant
nick46's Avatar
28
Rep
237
Posts

Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bridgwater

iTrader: (0)

I'd consider getting a dpf and having it reinstated cos come mot time you'll be screwed unless you have a 'friendly' mot tester.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 03:38 AM   #3
Silver Streek
Private
0
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 325d E91
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: The Moon

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
I'd consider getting a dpf and having it reinstated cos come mot time you'll be screwed unless you have a 'friendly' mot tester.
DPF test is only for cars from 2009 onwards I think, not sure it would have had one fitted in the first place if it's a 2006 car. Do the tips of the exhaust point down on your car?

Before people can give you recommendations, how many miles has the car done, as that will determine some jobs that need doing.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 05:39 AM   #4
sirleeofroy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
41
Rep
377
Posts

Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Buckinghamshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
DPF test is only for cars from 2009 onwards I think, not sure it would have had one fitted in the first place if it's a 2006 car. Do the tips of the exhaust point down on your car?

Before people can give you recommendations, how many miles has the car done, as that will determine some jobs that need doing.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...manual-changes

Scroll down to section 8, I don't see anything about 2009 onward. Any car with a DPF from factory will be subject to the test.

Also, I think all M57 E90's had a DPF from factory, the E46 with the M57 on the other hand is a different matter.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
Silver Streek
Private
0
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 325d E91
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: The Moon

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...manual-changes

Scroll down to section 8, I don't see anything about 2009 onward. Any car with a DPF from factory will be subject to the test.

Also, I think all M57 E90's had a DPF from factory, the E46 with the M57 on the other hand is a different matter.

OK I thought it was for post 2009 cars. I didnt know 330d's in the E9x series had always had a DPF fitted.

You learn something new every day!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 06:06 AM   #6
rasa bmw
Captain
61
Rep
622
Posts

Drives: e90 saloon 330d
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: northumberland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
OK I thought it was for post 2009 cars. I didnt know 330d's in the E9x series had always had a DPF fitted.

You learn something new every day!!!
also save yourself a few quid by buying LL01 oil instead of LL04,,seeing as you do not have a dpf...triple qx when on offer is less than 30 for 10l... at cp4l..you will need 7.5 l so buy 15l and you have 2 services...also change fuel filter..often overlooked..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 10:57 AM   #7
Huskla
New Member
United Kingdom
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: E90 330d
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

To the first gentleman who responded, luckily I do have a 'friendly' mot tester but this was before the new laws have passed, I guess I'll see how it goes next year when MOT time comes, fingers crossed


Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
DPF test is only for cars from 2009 onwards I think, not sure it would have had one fitted in the first place if it's a 2006 car. Do the tips of the exhaust point down on your car?

Before people can give you recommendations, how many miles has the car done, as that will determine some jobs that need doing.

And yes, I should have dropped some information about the car. I bought it at 97k miles and it's just touched 100 whilst with me. I'm guessing theres a few common faults or common things to do around this mileage mark. I've got full service history which helps.

After some more extensive googling and speaking with a few people. I'm going to give it the full service, Steering Fluids, Braking Fluids (with the intention to drain previous fluids for the new ones??), Oil, Air, Pollen filters.

Anything else I'm missing guys or something I should have a look at?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 02:04 PM   #8
matt_s
Enlisted Member
12
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: 330d e90
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Costa del Sheffield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskla View Post
...Anything else I'm missing guys or something I should have a look at?
Have you plugged in and seen if there are any fault codes stored, that might guide you as to what to do? Is it the m57 engine?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #9
N5GKP
New Member
United Kingdom
5
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: E90 325i M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Dorset

iTrader: (0)

M57 is a very robust engine, By far my favourite Diesel BMW have made as they don't seem to cause me any headaches at work!

With regards to the DPF situation, Whilst yes it is a failure if it's been tampered with or removed, I've found from vehicles that i've had in recently, they don't actually fail an emissions test so if you did have a tester that wasn't the most observant, the chances of it failing an emissions tests are fairly slim! That being said, I believe the correct DPF/Cat for your car is part number 18 30 7 795 998.

Definitely make sure you change the fuel filter, Chances are if it hasn't been done for a long time you'll notice it runs much nicer afterwards and may even seen an increase in fuel economy.

Air, Oil & Microfilter changes are all simple and pretty self explanatory.

Power steering fluid needed should be CHF11S, in the retailers we use Pentosin (83290429576)

With regards to other fluid changes, My advice to you would be to leave the auto transmission oil alone unless the transmission sump's leaking as the filling procedure can be a bit of a nightmare to do!
__________________
Current: 2009 E90 325i M Sport Auto
Previous: 2017 435d xDrive Gran Coupe, 2010 E90 318d SE, 2009 E90 318i SE.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:41 PM   #10
Huskla
New Member
United Kingdom
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: E90 330d
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5GKP View Post
M57 is a very robust engine, By far my favourite Diesel BMW have made as they don't seem to cause me any headaches at work!

With regards to the DPF situation, Whilst yes it is a failure if it's been tampered with or removed, I've found from vehicles that i've had in recently, they don't actually fail an emissions test so if you did have a tester that wasn't the most observant, the chances of it failing an emissions tests are fairly slim! That being said, I believe the correct DPF/Cat for your car is part number 18 30 7 795 998.

Definitely make sure you change the fuel filter, Chances are if it hasn't been done for a long time you'll notice it runs much nicer afterwards and may even seen an increase in fuel economy.

Air, Oil & Microfilter changes are all simple and pretty self explanatory.

Power steering fluid needed should be CHF11S, in the retailers we use Pentosin (83290429576)

With regards to other fluid changes, My advice to you would be to leave the auto transmission oil alone unless the transmission sump's leaking as the filling procedure can be a bit of a nightmare to do!
Thank you for your clear cut reply. I'll be getting right to it then to be honest!

In regards to the dpf, as its been removed I'm unsure if the DPF program has been deleted on the ECU. It leaves a proper gassy smell whilst running which is expected and it smokes(sometimes black sometimes white.. which I believe is meant to be a bad sign right?) and the usual whilst putting foot down or sometimes just idly running. It's a bit of an inconvenience but I can live with it. And it does show on the gauges when I flick through it, but the car in general has no faults, I've thrown a snap-on quickly and it only mentioned the DPF which isnt there.

Also (the newbie part of me coming out) I'm actually unsure which engine I have, whether its the M57 or N57. How could I find out or check?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:48 PM   #11
nick46
Second Lieutenant
nick46's Avatar
28
Rep
237
Posts

Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bridgwater

iTrader: (0)

Yours is a pre lci and therefore has the M57 engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #12
nick46
Second Lieutenant
nick46's Avatar
28
Rep
237
Posts

Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bridgwater

iTrader: (0)

The lci cars were introduced in late 2008 I think and they have the N57. The lci's have different rear lights, bonnet, grills and probably more visual things to tell them apart.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #13
rasa bmw
Captain
61
Rep
622
Posts

Drives: e90 saloon 330d
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: northumberland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
The lci cars were introduced in late 2008 I think and they have the N57. The lci's have different rear lights, bonnet, grills and probably more visual things to tell them apart.
easiest way to tell is the airbox..its on top of engine on the n57 and buried into the depths of hell on the m57,,god i hate service time every year as i have 2 cars with the m57 engine,,worst design ever for an air filter change..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #14
blueh88
Second Lieutenant
blueh88's Avatar
19
Rep
234
Posts

Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Hello, welcome to the forum. I have the same car and on about 109k.

Maintenance will differ on everyone's car depending on how it has been driven all its life. Since you have want to give it a good once over, here is what I would recommend:

Change regardless:
Oil + filter
Air filter (as mentioned, pain to change but not impossible)
Fuel filter
Micro (Pollen) filter

Inspect and change on condition:
Tyres (recommend change all 4 to non run flats)
Brake pads
Brake discs
All suspension components i.e. dampers, springs, arms, elastomeric bushes as they can deteriorate due to age more than mileage

Someone has mentioned don't do the auto fluid change but I do not agree. There is lots of posts on here and ZF (auto gearbox manufacturer) themselves have stated the gearbox should be serviced every 60k (I think) miles. Therefore, if there is no evidence of this ever being done, I would strongly suggest you get the oil and filter changed. Use official ZF items which are easily available on eBay.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #15
blueh88
Second Lieutenant
blueh88's Avatar
19
Rep
234
Posts

Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskla View Post
Thank you for your clear cut reply. I'll be getting right to it then to be honest!

In regards to the dpf, as its been removed I'm unsure if the DPF program has been deleted on the ECU. It leaves a proper gassy smell whilst running which is expected and it smokes(sometimes black sometimes white.. which I believe is meant to be a bad sign right?) and the usual whilst putting foot down or sometimes just idly running. It's a bit of an inconvenience but I can live with it. And it does show on the gauges when I flick through it, but the car in general has no faults, I've thrown a snap-on quickly and it only mentioned the DPF which isnt there.

Also (the newbie part of me coming out) I'm actually unsure which engine I have, whether its the M57 or N57. How could I find out or check?
If it is throwing a DPF fault then it hasn't been coded out. This would need to be done if you intend on not re-installing the DPF. Obviously there are the MOT implications which have already been mentioned but that is your preference. I personally do not have a DPF installed and get around it one way or another...if you know what I mean. You will get black smoke on acceleration, that is the nature of DPF-less diesels. You will also get white smoke on start up and a not so pleasant smell most of the time..not sure you should be getting black smoke at idle though??
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 01:56 AM   #16
rasa bmw
Captain
61
Rep
622
Posts

Drives: e90 saloon 330d
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: northumberland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
If it is throwing a DPF fault then it hasn't been coded out. This would need to be done if you intend on not re-installing the DPF. Obviously there are the MOT implications which have already been mentioned but that is your preference. I personally do not have a DPF installed and get around it one way or another...if you know what I mean. You will get black smoke on acceleration, that is the nature of DPF-less diesels. You will also get white smoke on start up and a not so pleasant smell most of the time..not sure you should be getting black smoke at idle though??
what map did you get,,i do not get any balck smoke,,yes a little smoke at night which you can see in car behind headlights..but not balck smoke....and the auto box is a recommended 70-100k mile service,,oil/sump filter and mechatronic sleeve,,around 400 for the whole lot done,,around 200 for the kit if you could find someone cheaper than around 200 labour..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 08:03 AM   #17
ed330D
Private First Class
France
18
Rep
183
Posts

Drives: E92 330D
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SW France

iTrader: (0)

There's often confusing advice given as to when the ZF fluid requires changing, which comes about because ZF is a German company and as such use kilometres not miles.

The recommended figure is change at 100k kilometres, plus or minus 20K depending on usage. This converts to approximately 60K miles plus or minus 12k miles, ie somewhere between 48k to 72k miles.

Doing it yourself without the right kit is very hit and miss. The oil temperature is critical, get it wrong and the box will suffer.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 03:39 AM   #18
rasa bmw
Captain
61
Rep
622
Posts

Drives: e90 saloon 330d
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: northumberland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed330D View Post
There's often confusing advice given as to when the ZF fluid requires changing, which comes about because ZF is a German company and as such use kilometres not miles.

The recommended figure is change at 100k kilometres, plus or minus 20K depending on usage. This converts to approximately 60K miles plus or minus 12k miles, ie somewhere between 48k to 72k miles.

Doing it yourself without the right kit is very hit and miss. The oil temperature is critical, get it wrong and the box will suffer.
yeh,,for what it costs id be hunting out a specialist who has done this job several times..someone like bm chiptune for example..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 04:16 AM   #19
blueh88
Second Lieutenant
blueh88's Avatar
19
Rep
234
Posts

Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
what map did you get,,i do not get any balck smoke,,yes a little smoke at night which you can see in car behind headlights..but not balck smoke....and the auto box is a recommended 70-100k mile service,,oil/sump filter and mechatronic sleeve,,around 400 for the whole lot done,,around 200 for the kit if you could find someone cheaper than around 200 labour..
It is a custom map I have had done by a friend at a tuning company - not going to mention the name though as it was done "off the record". I know it was done well. I have a medium term plan where I want to upgrade turbo, intercooler and have it mapped again so will look into it properly then.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #20
mjn77
Major
mjn77's Avatar
United Kingdom
625
Rep
1,429
Posts

Drives: E90 335d LCI Sport Saloon
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Herts, UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Servicing for the ZF box is every 50-70k miles depending on how hard you drive. I have the official paperwork here somewhere.
__________________
E90 335D LCI Individual Azurite Black // Anthracite Maple Trim // HEL Braided Brake Hoses // Veemann VM2 19" alloys in Valencia Orange // EBC Grooved Discs & Yellow Stuff Pads // H&R Cup Kit // M3 Control Arms
Euro Alpine Road Trips 2014 2016 2017 2018
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #21
Sensible_
Lieutenant Colonel
326
Rep
1,859
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (1)

How many miles on the clock? I'm guessing a lot. Just a few bits from 10 years of ownership of M57 e9x's ranging from a 325d (which I still have now) to a 335d

- Check the red boost hose from turbo to IC. Often needs replacing due to seals going. You'll see it covered in a fine oily mess over it.

- Whilst you are down there take the IC out and clean it. It'll be full of crap.

- Have a diagnostic done on the car. You may have common glow plug faults.

- MAP sensor is also a decent one to replace after a few miles.

- Clean or replace the intake manifold.

- THERMOSTATS!

- Rear diff Fluid change.

- Have a good look over the cars wheels and suspension components. The rear shocks tend to only be good for around 50k miles. They are very easy to replace.

- If you do the front discs and pads then might be worth doing the front wheel bearings. They are easy too.

- Also check if you are leaking diesel just in front of the drivers side rear wheel area. This is a common fault with the breather pipe. Fill the car up to the brim and leave it stationary for a while. You might see some dripping!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST