E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N52 stutter/vibrations when moving from standstill

08-01-2023, 03:22 PM   #1
Nexer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325i

Angry N52 stutter/vibrations when moving from standstill

Hi everyone! Long time lurker first time poster.

I have an 325i from 2007, manual. Which I love and think I'm taking good care of. But theres this one issue I have been chasing for close to a year now without being able to find the issue.

Sometimes, and I mean sometimes when I'm moving from standstill in first gear the car shakes ridicoulesly. It doesn't matter if the car is hot or cold, if the tempeture outside is cold or hot, if there is only one person or 4 in the car, if i rev it high, 4-5krpm or at 1500rpm before i start moving. It also doesn't seem to matter if the car had been parked for a week or i've been on a long road trip.

The feeling i get is that it's shaking from the entire car, so its really difficult to locate what the issue is, is it the engine, is it the gearbox is it the diff? I don't know, it just shakes the hole car.

In the persuit of fixing this i have searched high and low on forums, on youtube videos or asking professional mechanics. No answer solves this. I have replaced the vanos selenoids thinking it was the engine. I've done smoke tests too se if i have a vacuum leak. I have done adaptation resets with inpa. I have changed the gearbox oil twice, thinking it might be something there. I changed my rear brake disks and pads thinking it might be the hill stop/start feature that is bugging out.

The worst part is, I dont have any codes. No stored codes, no active codes. Nothing. I would start suspecting the clutch or flywheel, but when I get moving everything is smooth, the power goes down smoothly I feel no hesitation etc. And i don't feel any vibrations when idle or crousing it.

The car has done more thank 200.000km so it's not a new car by any means, but i would like to solve this problem once and for all!

Thanks guys, hope you guys have any idea what this might be. I hope to be more active in the forums in the future and contribute to this community that has halped me in keeping my car running!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 04:13 PM   #2
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

Are you sure it happens at high rpm too? I sometimes have this but usually only when I rev to like 1,100 rpm or less coming out of a stop. It’s probably clutch chatter.
      08-02-2023, 02:44 AM   #3
Nexer
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
Are you sure it happens at high rpm too? I sometimes have this but usually only when I rev to like 1,100 rpm or less coming out of a stop. It’s probably clutch chatter.
Thats what i thought at first, but as mentioned it happens even at higher RPM, but maybe that doesn't matter?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 03:53 AM   #4
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

What are you using to read the codes? On a side-note, I had a similar issue a few years ago with no codes. Thought it was the trans as it manifested very similar problem to a know 6L45 issue. Changed the coils and all was good.
Appreciate 1
Nexer0.00
      08-12-2023, 04:37 PM   #5
Nexer
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
What are you using to read the codes? On a side-note, I had a similar issue a few years ago with no codes. Thought it was the trans as it manifested very similar problem to a know 6L45 issue. Changed the coils and all was good.
I have tried using Inpa and a universal code reader that my mechanic friend has in his shop. No codes (atleast no engine/transmission codes). The memory codes were for missfires but that was due to bad spark plugs that i replaced after i bought the car.

I would suspect bad coils, but once the car is in motion no problems at all. Everything is smothe and great. I checked the date on the coils and they are from 2021.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 09:13 PM   #6
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexer View Post
I have tried using Inpa and a universal code reader that my mechanic friend has in his shop. No codes (atleast no engine/transmission codes). The memory codes were for missfires but that was due to bad spark plugs that i replaced after i bought the car.

I would suspect bad coils, but once the car is in motion no problems at all. Everything is smothe and great. I checked the date on the coils and they are from 2021.
I never got any codes either… until I did for a misfire which is what prompted me to replace the coils. At the time (this was ~2 years ago), they were the original Bosch coils. My assumption was that it was like a mini misfire that wasn’t registering, until it was severe enough to finally store in the DME. Those had 10 years on them, though, although a coil can fail at any time.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 11:08 PM   #7
pete9903
Private
Rep
Drives: DD: '11 6MT E91

Can you say how the vibes are coming into the car? Steering wheel, pedals (worse on a particular one?), or seats? If the windows are down, can you hear noise in a certain area?
Appreciate 0