E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 318d rough idle and white smoke.

07-25-2020, 05:32 AM   #1
TicklishPickle
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 2008

318d rough idle and white smoke.

Hi.

When I start the engine when it is warm outside it idles rough and puts out a lot of white smoke from the exhaust. The white smoke goes away after about a minute or two and the rough idle goes away after few more minutes. Then sometimes when I stop, the engine idles on higher revs (not very erratically and it doesn't happen very often). It doesn't happen when it's cold outside.

Anybody know what it is? ☹️
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #2
N57
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 325D M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 325D  [0.00]
Could be either of; leaking fuel injectors, glowplugs or/and glowplug module controller, clogged up intake/ EGR valve. Do you have a OBDII Scanner?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:46 AM   #3
TicklishPickle
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeceu8 View Post
Could be either of; leaking fuel injectors, glowplugs or/and glowplug module controller, clogged up intake/ EGR valve. Do you have a OBDII Scanner?
When I have some time I will take the engine cover off and have a closer look at the engine to see if there is anything obvious.
I dont have an OBD scanner. I thought of buying a Carly adapter for some time now. I believe it can read fault codes. I guess I will have to get it now.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 06:01 AM   #4
N57
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 325D M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 325D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TicklishPickle View Post
Quote:
When I have some time I will take the engine cover off and have a closer look at the engine to see if there is anything obvious.
I dont have an OBD scanner. I thought of buying a Carly adapter for some time now. I believe it can read fault codes. I guess I will have to get it now.
Ditch Carly. If you have a laptop, spend £20 on a K-DCAN cable and download ISTA.

To check fuel injectors. Remove cover like you said and remove the sound dampening material.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
TicklishPickle
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Ditch Carly. If you have a laptop, spend £20 on a K-DCAN cable and download ISTA.

To check fuel injectors. Remove cover like you said and remove the sound dampening material.
I dont have a laptop.
I looked at how much Carly costs and decided to not buy it. I bought Vgate ICar Pro, I will try to use some apps from android app store (maybe I will pay for one of the bimmer apps) to see if there are any fault codes.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #6
TicklishPickle
Registered
Rep

Update.

I had a look around the fuel injectors and cleaned the area around them. I had a look at them again after about a 100 mile trip and they look fine to me.

I checked for fault codes and it shows 2.
P2237- O2 sensor positive current control circuit/open bank 1 sensor 1.
P0117- Engine coolant temperature sensor 1 circuit low.

One thing I can add now, it doesn't do it very often but the car idles at about 1200rpm. When I try to take off and press the accelerator pedal lightly the car rapidly takes off. I didn't think to add this to the original post because it didn't do that for a while until yesterday.

I had the oil filter housing gasket and the oil cooler seals done which are in the said housing not too long ago if this helps to solve the problem.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0