E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Successful Installation of an Eonon 9165b 2019

02-05-2020, 08:31 AM   #67
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repclutch View Post
Hoping I don't run into the issues mentioned here regarding the preset loss.
It may be likely that you do have issues (many do when using stock wiring with the harness), but it should be relatively simple to run your own new power wire from the HU to the fusebox (no need for anything super thick, similar guage to what is used by the harness etc.).
There are many posts that talk about which fuse to tap into for a true constant (which is usually what's missing for those people who have preset loss etc.).

Quote:
Hey I had a question, Will installing the Eonon give me any issues when trying to read the codes? It comes with a CAN bus system.

Just wanted to know if the dealership would have problems reading the codes if I took it there for some recall
Reading typical error codes will be unaffected. However, updating certain vehicle software will be impeded if the stock HU is not retained. On a car this old, it's probably not an issue now (or maybe see if there's an update before you swap the HU?).
BUT if you want to be absolutely "fool proof", you can relocate your stock HU to the glove or boot... I've seen this done with typical aftermarket decks, but not sure if it's any different with the eonon since their harness is 100% plug and play with our cars.
      02-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #68
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Anyone have feedback on using the MOST decoder box in cars with L7 or Individual Audio and how's the sound quality?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #69
jettalong
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xit

I am installing the GA9365. i am confused as to where to connect key1 and key 2 wires. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #70
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettalong View Post
I am installing the GA9365. i am confused as to where to connect key1 and key 2 wires. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
If your GA9365 came with a CANBUS adapter (it's a little dark red box that's attached to the wiring harness) then you don't use the key1 and key2 wires. The CANBUS adapter handles the signals for the steering wheel controls as well as the parking brake, reverse signal and heated seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 12:38 PM   #71
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey I had a question, Will installing the Eonon give me any issues when trying to read the codes? It comes with a CAN bus system.

Just wanted to know if the dealership would have problems reading the codes if I took it there for some recall
I went through the same questions and in the end decided to relocate the HU to the trunk.
ctuna explained the reason here
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=29
"The official BMW diagnostic setup hooks up to both the can bus
and the Most Bus."

In case you decide to do that, there's a HU relocate thread here
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319976
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #72
mckwong
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E90 LCI with N51

Quote:
just purchased the Eonon GA9465, Waiting for it to come in. Hoping I don't run into the issues mentioned here regarding the preset loss.

I've yet to find to find the heated seat ash tray relocate piece
Did you get a chance to install Eonon GA9465? Is it GA9465 or GA9465B? How do you like it? Any fitment issues? Thanks.

Last edited by mckwong; 04-13-2020 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #73
rvz
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckwong View Post
Did you get a chance to install Eonon GA9465? Is it GA9465 or GA9465B? How do you like it? Any fitment issues? Thanks.
I installed the GA9465B this past weekend - here are my comments.

- Fitment: Overall it's not that great. We've all seen pictures of the AC controls hanging below the trim - so that was expected. But I also found that the screws supplied to attach the head unit were not long enough so I had to buy some longer ones. The AC controls are supposed to slide into the Eonon bracket (even after trimming the side tabs) but I found that they did not align. So I had to trim those off also.

- Reverse camera: I installed the Liebmaya (from Amazon) reverse camera into the trunk latch. Of course unrelated to the Eonon I had a few minor issues with that. First, fitment is VERY tight, which is good in this case. I could tell that the back side was not fitting in well so when snapped in I could see a gap in the back. It took quite a bit of force to get the back (side away from me) tight and then snap the front (side towards me) in. Second, I did not know about using a relay triggered by the reverse lights so my first attempt with direct wiring to the reverse lights caused the camera to turn on briefly then turn off. Third, after installing the relay it still was not working. I could hear it clicking but it was not passing the power through. I bought a second relay and and now it works great. One last point on this...when sending wires through the rubber tube in the trunk, lube the wire up a little bit and it will slide through a lot easier. I used a hanger to fish the wires through.

- Boot time: I'm still seeing a slow boot time even though I took the yellow wire all of the way back to the battery. Since I was already running the camera from back to front it was easy to splice in an extension and take this wire from front to back.

- Dongle: I bought the dongle from Xtrons because it has better reviews than the Eonon but I have not played around with it much.
- Bluetooth: The phone call audio is soft even with the BT volume turned all of the way up.

- Weird noises: This has happened twice. The radio randomly cut out and was replaced by a series of loud noises from the speakers. I think the screen also cuts out but I can't remember for sure. Then the noise will stop and the radio and screen will come back on. I'm not sure what's causing this. I'm only a few days into the install but if this continues I'll either have to debug if it's caused by wiring or return the unit.

I think that's all I have for now, I'm only two days into the install and haven't been driving very much. I really want to like this head unit (mostly because I don't want to repeat the install ). Really, it was relatively easy to install but would be much faster with clearer instructions.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 10:52 AM   #74
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvz View Post
I installed the GA9465B this past weekend - here are my comments.

- Boot time: I'm still seeing a slow boot time even though I took the yellow wire all of the way back to the battery. Since I was already running the camera from back to front it was easy to splice in an extension and take this wire from front to back.
I had a 9165B and 9365, both wired "correctly" (I had already updated my harness for a true 12V constant from my previous HU install), and can tell you those units only needed 2-3 seconds to boot from sleep (car sitting 2-3 days).

If you're seeing the full boot logo, and waiting for it, my guess is something in the wiring is still not right.
      06-08-2020, 07:42 AM   #75
rvz
Rep

I emailed Eonon about the audio issue and they sent me a firmware update. A few days into that and so far no more audio issues. However, my Google maps keyboard is stuck on Japanese. I can change it to English but it tells me that it won't be permanent until I unlock the device...I'm not sure how to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
I had a 9165B and 9365, both wired "correctly" (I had already updated my harness for a true 12V constant from my previous HU install), and can tell you those units only needed 2-3 seconds to boot from sleep (car sitting 2-3 days).

If you're seeing the full boot logo, and waiting for it, my guess is something in the wiring is still not right.
I also asked them about the boot time and they told me that a normal boot time is ~35s for this model. Ouch.

I had a new issue pop up yesterday. When I first started the car the AC controls were not working and it had thrown a code. Then about a mile down the road they started to work again. I'm not sure what's up with that - I've never had that issue before.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #76
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
I emailed Eonon about the audio issue and they sent me a firmware update. A few days into that and so far no more audio issues. However, my Google maps keyboard is stuck on Japanese. I can change it to English but it tells me that it won't be permanent until I unlock the device...I'm not sure how to do that.

I also asked them about the boot time and they told me that a normal boot time is ~35s for this model. Ouch.
Glad the audio sounds better, but no clue about unlocking the device. Maybe rooting it?
I used a custom rom (hal9k from xda) on my unit, ran better than the stock firmware.

As for boot time, yes 35s seems normal. The issue you're having is it's not staying asleep, you should only have to wait for wake up from standby, not a boot sequence.

I doubt that would have changed in the newer model. 🤷🏽*♂️

Sorry can't help much with the other issues, but hoping you make more progress soon!
      06-11-2020, 09:49 PM   #77
rvz
Rep

Quote:
Glad the audio sounds better, but no clue about unlocking the device. Maybe rooting it?
I used a custom rom (hal9k from xda) on my unit, ran better than the stock firmware.

As for boot time, yes 35s seems normal. The issue you're having is it's not staying asleep, you should only have to wait for wake up from standby, not a boot sequence.

I doubt that would have changed in the newer model. 🤷🏽*♂️

Sorry can't help much with the other issues, but hoping you make more progress soon!
I spoke too soon. I think this unit has problems with the heat. I live in TX and when I went to drive the car this afternoon the noises came back albeit briefly. Also, when I first start sometimes the AC controls don't operate properly. I think the CANBUS doesn't work right. Then a few miles down the road it starts working OK.

I emailed Eonon about the startup time and they said it only stays in sleep for about 30 min and after that it shuts down. They say the 30s boot time is normal.

I'm leaning towards returning it at this point. They've offered a replacement but I'm not sure I want to deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #78
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
I spoke too soon. I think this unit has problems with the heat. I live in TX and when I went to drive the car this afternoon the noises came back albeit briefly. Also, when I first start sometimes the AC controls don't operate properly. I think the CANBUS doesn't work right. Then a few miles down the road it starts working OK.

I emailed Eonon about the startup time and they said it only stays in sleep for about 30 min and after that it shuts down. They say the 30s boot time is normal.

I'm leaning towards returning it at this point. They've offered a replacement but I'm not sure I want to deal with it.
They're response re: staying asleep for only 30m is likely because most people don't rewire a true constant, and 30m is when the harness "constant" goes to sleep. Once wired correctly (true constant), it should be on standby for days on end (assuming batt doesn't deplete). I can confirm that's how my 9165B and 9365 operated.

As for the heat, yes that has been documented as an issue for some (and possibly why they moved away from octacore back to quadcore for newer units)... wonder if wiring a small CPU fan might help, you can probably piggy back off your existing wiring and use a relay to control it.
      06-18-2020, 04:13 PM   #79
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They're response re: staying asleep for only 30m is likely because most people don't rewire a true constant, and 30m is when the harness "constant" goes to sleep. Once wired correctly (true constant), it should be on standby for days on end (assuming batt doesn't deplete). I can confirm that's how my 9165B and 9365 operated.

As for the heat, yes that has been documented as an issue for some (and possibly why they moved away from octacore back to quadcore for newer units)... wonder if wiring a small CPU fan might help, you can probably piggy back off your existing wiring and use a relay to control it.
I can vouch for the 3 second start up. If you wire it correctly to a proper, permanent 12V supply then you'll never experience a 30+ second boot.
With Covid-19 I usually don't drive the car for several days, but when do fire it up the radio / Mp3 player pick up right where I left it as soon as I start the car.

As for heat management I installed a USB powered fan, connected to one of the USB ports on the Eonon itself. So as soon as the Eonon is on the fan comes on. No additional wiring or relays needed.
You can see a pic of it here in the upper left:
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50
      06-18-2020, 09:18 PM   #80
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck335 View Post
As for heat management I installed a USB powered fan, connected to one of the USB ports on the Eonon itself. So as soon as the Eonon is on the fan comes on. No additional wiring or relays needed.
Great idea!

Does it keep the unit cool to touch after prolonged use? Or does it still get warm, but not hot enough to cause issues?

Thx for sharing 👍🏽
      06-21-2020, 01:13 PM   #81
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Great idea!

Does it keep the unit cool to touch after prolonged use? Or does it still get warm, but not hot enough to cause issues?

Thx for sharing 👍🏽
To be honest, I don't know.
I haven't removed the unit to check since I installed it last fall.

However I did install a CPU monitoring app and it shows CPU temp hovering around 50C. Not sure if that's a good temp or even a decent proxy for the temperature of the Eonon as a whole.

I do recall that it was pretty cramped in the back with all the wiring harnesses, CANBUS decoder box, etc. And that's what prompted me to install the fan. I figured some air circulation is better than none.
So far I've not had any temperature warnings or shutdowns (but I'm not sure if that means anything).

The fan I bought (AC Infinity S5 80mm) has a speed switch in case I need greater airflow. For now I've left it on low to minimize cabin noise.
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50
      06-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #82
kegwalker
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335ix (n55) 6mt

I installed the GA935 during COVID- so far i'm happy with it.

I left a door open with the glove box backing out and waited for the car to go to sleep. Used a VOM to to test a constant 12v and a fuse tap to run it to the yellow harness wire. It will start up pretty quickly. My only concern so far is that I think my battery is OEM still (2011 335), and my steady voltage is about 12.1 (I know, time to replace the battery). However, I can still let it sit for 4-5 days without drawing the battery too low.

For the rear camera, i did the Amazon trunk handle
https://www. amazon.com/gp/product/B010I2QH24/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It was a bit of a pain to install (getting the cable plug through the small rubber grommet / sleeve was the worst) and connected the red wire from the camera cable to the brown wire coming out of the CANBUS at the head unit. No need for a relay, or any interference. Works great, but as a previous post mentioned, the seal to the trunk opening is not great. I wish I had put a layer of silicone on it first.

Otherwise, i'm pretty happy with this unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:57 PM   #83
rvz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegwalker View Post
I installed the GA935 during COVID- so far i'm happy with it.

I left a door open with the glove box backing out and waited for the car to go to sleep. Used a VOM to to test a constant 12v and a fuse tap to run it to the yellow harness wire. It will start up pretty quickly. My only concern so far is that I think my battery is OEM still (2011 335), and my steady voltage is about 12.1 (I know, time to replace the battery). However, I can still let it sit for 4-5 days without drawing the battery too low.

For the rear camera, i did the Amazon trunk handle
https://www. amazon.com/gp/product/B010I2QH24/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It was a bit of a pain to install (getting the cable plug through the small rubber grommet / sleeve was the worst) and connected the red wire from the camera cable to the brown wire coming out of the CANBUS at the head unit. No need for a relay, or any interference. Works great, but as a previous post mentioned, the seal to the trunk opening is not great. I wish I had put a layer of silicone on it first.

Otherwise, i'm pretty happy with this unit.
I'm glad you had better luck with it than me. I actually returned it and bought an XTRONS IB9990BPL. It has 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it (so far). It's much more responsive and peppy. The only issue I've had so far is that I cannot log into my Google account. It just keeps saying "checking info".
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 10:08 PM   #84
solo118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Coupe

This system looks great!

Couple of questions

- It looks like the unit has a built in mic on the head unit. Could this be used instead of wiring the included microphone?

- Do I need a dongle for Airplay? Thought I read that it is mainly for android. That being said I saw some cheaper alternatives for airplay dongles, so I assume those would work just as well?

- I prefer the heated seat buttons physically on the dash. Could I either fit a LCI climate control which has the heated seat buttons present, or can I remove the ashtray and install the buttons there? Anybody know where to get a proper bracket?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #85
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
This system looks great!

Couple of questions

- It looks like the unit has a built in mic on the head unit. Could this be used instead of wiring the included microphone?
Everything I read says the built in mic doesn't work that well. In fact I think that's why Eonon inlcudes an external microphone. It's not that hard to install.

Quote:
- Do I need a dongle for Airplay? Thought I read that it is mainly for android. That being said I saw some cheaper alternatives for airplay dongles, so I assume those would work just as well?
It depends on the model you get (some include Airplay such as the GA9465B).
With other models you do need the additional dongle. There are two options on the dongle side: wired and wireless connectivity. Even though I bought a dongle for my 9165b, I never use it. I find using apps installed directly on the the Eonon much easier to use.

Quote:
- I prefer the heated seat buttons physically on the dash. Could I either fit a LCI climate control which has the heated seat buttons present, or can I remove the ashtray and install the buttons there? Anybody know where to get a proper bracket?
Yes, I believe others have swapped in an LCI climate control - do a search on these forums. However note that if you have manual climate controls the swap is not easy or may not be possible. The relocate brackets are hard to find these days, and the ones that are available seem to be poor quality. Though I think the one Crutchfield sells might be ok (based only on it being Crutchfield).

Quote:
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #86
solo118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Coupe

Quote:
Everything I read says the built in mic doesn't work that well. In fact I think that's why Eonon inlcudes an external microphone. It's not that hard to install.

It depends on the model you get (some include Airplay such as the GA9465B).
With other models you do need the additional dongle. There are two options on the dongle side: wired and wireless connectivity. Even though I bought a dongle for my 9165b, I never use it. I find using apps installed directly on the the Eonon much easier to use.

Yes, I believe others have swapped in an LCI climate control - do a search on these forums. However note that if you have manual climate controls the swap is not easy or may not be possible. The relocate brackets are hard to find these days, and the ones that are available seem to be poor quality. Though I think the one Crutchfield sells might be ok (based only on it being Crutchfield).
Thank you my friend! I will look for the GA9465B, so I do not need to buy the additional dongle
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 07:57 AM   #87
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
However note that if you have manual climate controls the swap is not easy or may not be possible.
All of my research suggests swapping from manual to auto climate control isn't possible.
You can get partial functionality, but even with coding, it's a lack of the right hardware that prevents a proper retrofit.
      09-23-2020, 04:12 PM   #88
4foothill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

Can someone with one of these units shed some light on what the right scroll dial does? One thing I've missed about not having idrive is the ability to scroll through songs safely whilst driving with the idrive controller/dial. I'm really hoping that the right dial on this unit will let me do just that.
Appreciate 0