E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Retrofit: E90 335i with iDrive, Phone prep, Voice control, and USB

06-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #309
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Dension gateway 500s bt
gives a2dp and a usb port and a another aux.
and it works with the steering wheel controls how
well I don't know . I believe mobridge and a few others
make something similar.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:40 AM   #310
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

Thank you to all in this thread! I finally got my '08 'modernized' with hands free BT speakerphone, by using the advice and guides in this thread. The last step was rewiring the mic connector behind the glove box, and had the difficulty of only having 5 pins. Pro tip- don't rely on a LED light to help with the wire colors. The three wires that were not black/not yellow all looked like the same color grey! Breaking out the incandescent maglite helped a ton in discerning the wire colors
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #311
palvarez
Rep
Drives: E90

Hey Guys, i have a MUL2 and blueT is working fine, but voice commands are not working. Seems it's receiving no MIC. Would the Mic mod in thi thread help?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #312
kissdaring
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E93

Not to bring this from the dead but I have a issue. Behind the glove box the white connector only has 2 wires one is blue grey and pink grey I don't have any other wires Both ends male and female.. I have done the rewire in the MULF 2 "yellow, black and brown-clear" and installed and connected both the Bluetooth antenna and mic in the steering column. There are two connectors in the steering column one wired black and yellow and other seems the same colour combination and two pin.

Why can't I find the other wires behind the glove box? My car is a 2007 E93 convertible if that helps. Please confirm thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 04:59 PM   #313
kissdaring
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRichieX View Post
Ok guys, Just just finished the the BT retrofit in my car and everything is working great! Big thanks to Lazd for this DIY! For those with e93's the wiring is a bit different so thought I'd share.

Big Thanks to Joe aka jdj for helping me get this finished. Really appreciated it!

So first off, I have all the same options as Lazd. In the e93, the wires you need from the tcu (white) is yellow (slot 1), black (slot 19) and BROWN (slot 21). You won't see the clear wire as suggested from the original diy. Remove those and insert into same slots of the ulf.

Next is switching the microphone wires in the front. The white connector for the microphone wire is NOT located next to the fusebox behind the glovebox. It is located behind the radio tucked away to the left. (Credit to jdj for figuring this out).

Remove the radio. This is real easy. Pull out heater control (it just pulls out), pull out radio trim (pulls out as well), then the radio is exposed. It's held down by 4 screws (2 on each side). Unplug all the connectors from the radio (black harness, blue antenna wire, video cable, and I believe there were 2 other small ones...can't remember). Once you pull out the radio, locate the white connectors tucked away down and to the left (next to the side wall where the radio is housed). It looks exactly like the picture lazd has up. It's really tucked in there and tied down. I couldn't even see it. I had to feel for it and then disconnect the male end.

Once you disconnect the male part of the white connector, you'll see yellow wire (slot 1), black wire (slot 2), gray wire (slot 3), black and white wire (slot 4), brown and black wire (slot 5), slot 6 & 7 empty, green wire (slot 8), yellow and black wire (slot 9), gray wire (slot 10).

The slot 1,2,3 is sheathed together and slot 8,9,10 is sheathed together. I removed those 6 wires and switched the places (1,2,3 into 8,9,10 respectively and 8,9,10 into 1,2,3 slot). I'm assuming one group is for VC and the other is for BT.

Plug everything back in, code it and you're done!

Keep in mind that I had VC and already had a mic. If you don't have vc and need to install the mic, the mic goes into the top of the steering wheel column. Plug in the connector that's not used, and when you go to rewire the white connector in the radio housing, you should only see 3 wires. (yellow, black and brown). See how the wiring in connected on the female side and just repin the male connector so the colors line up with the female. (This is how Lazd said he did his)

One trick I suggest since it's difficult to get that female connector out to see how it's wired, pull back as much of the black fabric tape holding it in place so that the wires connected to the female side are exposed. Stick your phone into the radio housing and take a picture (position the female connector as necessary to get a good visual).

No need to add a set of wires and route all the way back to the trunk.

Hope this is understandable and helps the e93'ers that were stuck like I was.

Oh man. This is exactly what I was looking for as I have the vert and the plug needed isn't behind the glove box. I did the pin conversion as you suggested. I've also connected the mic and Bluetooth antenna. Ive also relocated the yellow, black and Brown-clear wires to the blue connector.
My questions that remain are this.

1,,, the Bluetooth antenna wiring under the foot panal is black and pink. Lazd suggests the white and pink to plug into the MULF 2? I would assume it would also be black and pink??? Same as what's connected to the Bluetooth antenna no? Confirm if you may...

2,,, I'm not sure I understand what you mean here....?
A.. and when you go to rewire the white connector in the radio housing, you should only see 3 wires. (yellow, black and brown). See how the wiring in connected on the female side and just repin the male connector so the colors line up with the female. (This is how Lazd said he did his)
B.. One trick I suggest since it's difficult to get that female connector out to see how it's wired, pull back as much of the black fabric tape holding it in place so that the wires connected to the female side are exposed. Stick your phone into the radio housing and take a picture (position the female connector as necessary to get a good visual).

1 I've connected the mic to one of the empty slots
2 ive relocation pins 123/8910 8910/123 tucked away behind the radio.
3 plugged in the Bluetooth antenna below foot panal with the tucked away black and pink wire
4 relocated pins yellow, black and drown-clear in the trunk.
5 removed the plastic pink and white tabs to fit the antenna wire behind the MULF 2 (it's not the black and pink correct? It's the white and pink.?)

Am I missing something here?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #314
kissdaring
Private
Rep

Anyone??
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #315
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
What parts of it are working or not?
Did you install a new ULF? Combox? TCU? And all the coding?
Is your car iDrive or professional radio?

Are you trying to just add bluetooth calling?

As for the FAKRA connector colors at the ends of the bluetooth antenna wire... they don't always match from one end to the other. For the tel prep gsm antenna wire, for example, it is black and purple in the front in my car, and gray at the antenna
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #316
kissdaring
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
What parts of it are working or not?
Did you install a new ULF? Combox? TCU? And all the coding?
Is your car iDrive or professional radio?

Are you trying to just add bluetooth calling?

As for the FAKRA connector colors at the ends of the bluetooth antenna wire... they don't always match from one end to the other. For the tel prep gsm antenna wire, for example, it is black and purple in the front in my car, and gray at the antenna
Hey. Thanks for the get back. So my car already had the MULF 2 as I have usb in the armrest. Yes just want Bluetooth calling.

BMW professional stereo. No iDrive.

At this point I can connect the phone and when I get a call it comes through the speakers and I can answer the call with he steering controls. The only issue I'm facing now is that I can hear them through the speakers but they can't hear me at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #317
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
You installed a mic in the column, yeah?

Do you have a multimeter and a long bit of wire? I suggest disconnecting the mic, and figuring out how far the yellow wire goes starting at the mic.
Disconnect the plug behind the radio and look for continuity (resistance check) from the wire where the mic plugs in on the column to that connector... check pins 1, 2, 3 and 8, 9, 10.
It should be either 1 or 8, but might not be.
on that connector behind the radio, one end has wires that go to the column, the other has wires that go to the trunk (i can't remember male or female).

Do the same check with the black wire at the microphone.

Next, check for continuity from the TCU... pins 1, 19, and 21.

TCU pin 1 should eventually connect all the way from the microphone yellow wire at the column, TCU pin 19 should connect all the way through to the microphone black wire, and TCU pin 21 should be the shield (gray/clear).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #318
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
actually, I'm re-reading... I can't tell if you're supposed to connect the microphone to the TCU or the ULF, but it is the same pins in each of those units.

I guess try in one, and if it doesn't work, try the other
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #319
kissdaring
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
actually, I'm re-reading... I can't tell if you're supposed to connect the microphone to the TCU or the ULF, but it is the same pins in each of those units.

I guess try in one, and if it doesn't work, try the other
thanks a ton man. I will try and fish around. see if i can nail it down. I have everything working its just others cant hear me that's all I'm hoping I can figure it out. it's a bit of a headache down here and its kind of hard to take a phone call with the top down :P
      01-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #320
naenae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i DCT FBO

any lag on the audio?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 01:36 AM   #321
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
I think this thread has answered nearly all my questions about retrofitting BT to my '11 e88 128i convertible. - sadly not pre-wired so I get to do it the hard way.

Just one remains - what is the right microphone for a convertible? And how does it mount to the steering column cover? If I look up the mic part number that is listed here, it's a rectangle with 3-pins built into it (pictured on this thread). If I look up "e88 BT microphone" at ECS, they show something completely different. A cube with a short wiring harness ending in a 3-pin female plug. I don't see anywhere on my car that a mic would go (not that I have taken the column covers apart yet), and REALOEM only seems to show a single part for the steering column cover (part number doesn't come up at ECS).

The convertibles seem to be just enough different to cause all sorts of fun - I spent hours finding the right pinouts to retrofit the Homelink mirror the other day.

Many thanks to the folks how figured all of this out!

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #322
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I couldn't imagine not doing this without the prewire.

#blessed
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #323
rocco_charles
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 750i, 2008 335xi coupe

Bluetooth retrofit success!

Thanks to all those who posted here and for the excellent step by step writeup. I have a bit of a weird VO with CCC, voice control, but no USB. Anyway, I can confirm that if you have pre-wire for USA phone, it is doable to add bluetooth with only the TCU and a bluetooth antenna as new parts. I used the existing voice control mic for bluetooth and it sounds clear.

Only problem i seem to have, is that I can't send calls from idrive, only from my phone's keypad. I'm pretty sure this is just coding that I missed.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 07:41 AM   #324
Mc 007
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Hello bmw drivers

In my E92 2007 with CCC i have the mulf 1 and i have buy a mulf 2 high basis svs to upgrade on USB
What i need to buy to install it?
Car has CCC 8 buttons with tel car kit in the center consolle(i deleted it),hi-fi audio & mulf 1

Thx
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:52 AM   #325
Mc 007
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep

Hello BMW drivers

I have a small problem,car originally with CCC & Mulf Basis(no USB),i moce to CIC & Combox and my microfone don’t like to work,try with coding… nothing
Wires for mic on the Combox are the same color like the 3 colors of AUX under the armrest

My E92 is 7.2007.with BT & phone preparation under the armrest

Thx to someone who ca help
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 10:25 AM   #326
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc 007 View Post
Hello BMW drivers

I have a small problem,car originally with CCC & Mulf Basis(no USB),i moce to CIC & Combox and my microfone don’t like to work,try with coding… nothing
Wires for mic on the Combox are the same color like the 3 colors of AUX under the armrest

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660738

look at the microphone wires behind the glovebox
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 01:46 AM   #327
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Hello BMW drivers

For the microphone to work on the combox following a retrofit you need the wires to be in the following locations.....

Old MULF pin 1 goes to Combox pin 25
Old MULF pin 19 goes to Combox pin 12
Old MULF pin 21 goes to Combox pin 11

Hopefully that'll sort your microphone out

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #328
Mc 007
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660738

look at the microphone wires behind the glovebox
Thx,have see this,most E9x drivers made this modification?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #329
Mc 007
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
For the microphone to work on the combox following a retrofit you need the wires to be in the following locations.....

Old MULF pin 1 goes to Combox pin 25
Old MULF pin 19 goes to Combox pin 12
Old MULF pin 21 goes to Combox pin 11

Hopefully that'll sort your microphone out
Thx,have try to put the wires on this numbers,but no effect,maybe a coding problem,need to check
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 02:27 AM   #330
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Thx,have try to put the wires on this numbers,but no effect,maybe a coding problem,need to check
When you did the retrofit from CCC/MULF to CIC/Combox, did you SG_Codieren to both the CIC and Combox? Also might help if you list which VO codes you deleted and which you added.

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0