E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Maintenance maintenance!!

08-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
graphicjunkie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d Msport Xdrive

Maintenance maintenance!!

My son learned an expensive lesson recently. He has a 2008 335xi, and ever since we bought it about a year ago....it's had the notorious oil filter housing/cooler oil leak. Very minimal, and I kept on telling him that if he bought the seal, I would help him fix it. Yea yea... Well, over time that deteriorated his belt and recently it blew. But we didn't know that at first. Two weeks ago, he broke down, he was driving home and he lost all power...dead battery. Looking at the engine, everything looked good...so I put my jumper cables on it and it started immediately...I figured the alternator went. ....towed him home.

The way the belt blew, it shredded on the bottom half, and what you could see looking down at the engine, appeared in tact. Luckily, it didn't wrap around the bottom end pully and dig it's way into the engine like I've read about.

Alternator was like $300 if I recall....had to wait a week for that to show up.
That finally got here, couldn't believe the process to get that replaced. Wow..you would have thought we were overhauling the engine! lol.
Had waited a couple days after ordering, then decided to start the tear down, when we realized the belt. Ordered that. $60...had to wait. Alternator shows up, and while tryin to install that and the belt, the tensioner pulley bit hole strips on us while trying to lock it open. Took it off and tried to dremel the hole big enough to fit a 1/2" ratchet head instead of the T60....found out the hard way that if it's pretty much not a machine fit, it just strips right back out. Fine. Ordered another one, and discovered in the process that it's a yield bolt, and dont' want to reuse that anyway. That showed up yesterday.

In the process, we broke the dang nipple on the upper radiator hose. Which no one carries. Had to order that. $20 if I recall. That showed up last night. Ordered it through NAPA. Doesn't fit. It looks the same mostly, but shorter, and bend is different. !@#$!%!!! Yup...two WEEKS later now, and still fighting parts.

So $50 for a belt, $300+ for the alternator, $20 for the hose, $40 for the pulley, new oil(change), new coolant...we are about $30 into beer at this point.

So now we are $500+ into it, when he could have spent what $7 for the seal?

The silver lining? Serious wrench time with my son. $$PRICELESS$$
But I won't tell him that.
Appreciate 2
lab_rat394.50
      08-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Although it may look like the seal is ok and belt didn't get in, you would be surprised that pieces could still be inside.

You will find out once you do his oil pan gasket. Hopefully nothing got in.

By the way, did you replace the OFH gasket? Get the original from BMW. They changed manufacturers, they are now made in Japan. Don't use Elring gasket for the housing.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

broken belt
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1231881
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=23
https://www.oxwerkzperformance.com/
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1477111
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1305990

It is imperative you change the tensioner for the accessory belt on these and that
any oil leaks that can get on the accessory belt be fixed ASAP.

The belts usually don't go bad unless there is oil leaking onto them .
The tensioner wil get weak over time though.
The shield that oxwerks sells is well worth the money if you can get one.
These are not cheap cars to maintain and you need to buy quality parts
or suffer the consequences.
This is not a car you want to do freestyle repairs on .

Yep use torque wrenchs on everyhting.

500 bucks is peanuts to spend on a BMW.

Last edited by ctuna; 08-13-2020 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #4
solo118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
broken belt
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1231881
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=23
https://www.oxwerkzperformance.com/
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1477111
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1305990

It is imperative you change the tensioner for the accessory belt on these and that
any oil leaks that can get on the accessory belt be fixed ASAP.

The belts usually don't go bad unless there is oil leaking onto them .
The tensioner wil get weak over time though.
The shield that oxwerks sells is well worth the money if you can get one.
These are not cheap cars to maintain and you need to buy quality parts
or suffer the consequences.
This is not a car you want to do freestyle repairs on .

Yep use torque wrenchs on everyhting.

500 bucks is peanuts to spend on a BMW.
Just curious, but is there a way to check the belt to see if it is getting weak due to oil leaks? I inspected the belt but it seems sturdy and no flexing or softness to it.

I just bought a car knowing that the OFHG needs replacement, as everything else was fine. Obviously replacing the belt/tensioner is not a huge deal while I am doing OFHG, but I am curious to know if I am safe just for the time being until the parts come in.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 09:53 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicjunkie View Post
My son learned an expensive lesson recently. He has a 2008 335xi, and ever since we bought it about a year ago....it's had the notorious oil filter housing/cooler oil leak. Very minimal, and I kept on telling him that if he bought the seal, I would help him fix it. Yea yea... Well, over time that deteriorated his belt and recently it blew. But we didn't know that at first. Two weeks ago, he broke down, he was driving home and he lost all power...dead battery. Looking at the engine, everything looked good...so I put my jumper cables on it and it started immediately...I figured the alternator went. ....towed him home.

The way the belt blew, it shredded on the bottom half, and what you could see looking down at the engine, appeared in tact. Luckily, it didn't wrap around the bottom end pully and dig it's way into the engine like I've read about.

Alternator was like $300 if I recall....had to wait a week for that to show up.
That finally got here, couldn't believe the process to get that replaced. Wow..you would have thought we were overhauling the engine! lol.
Had waited a couple days after ordering, then decided to start the tear down, when we realized the belt. Ordered that. $60...had to wait. Alternator shows up, and while tryin to install that and the belt, the tensioner pulley bit hole strips on us while trying to lock it open. Took it off and tried to dremel the hole big enough to fit a 1/2" ratchet head instead of the T60....found out the hard way that if it's pretty much not a machine fit, it just strips right back out. Fine. Ordered another one, and discovered in the process that it's a yield bolt, and dont' want to reuse that anyway. That showed up yesterday.

In the process, we broke the dang nipple on the upper radiator hose. Which no one carries. Had to order that. $20 if I recall. That showed up last night. Ordered it through NAPA. Doesn't fit. It looks the same mostly, but shorter, and bend is different. !@#$!%!!! Yup...two WEEKS later now, and still fighting parts.

So $50 for a belt, $300+ for the alternator, $20 for the hose, $40 for the pulley, new oil(change), new coolant...we are about $30 into beer at this point.

So now we are $500+ into it, when he could have spent what $7 for the seal?

The silver lining? Serious wrench time with my son. $$PRICELESS$$
But I won't tell him that.
While the situation is getting a bit better with the chain auto parts stores, they mostly do not stock BMW parts, and as you found, have to order them. There are a plethora of on-line sources for BMW parts, be the part needed is OE BMW or an aftermarket part, that rarely offer and ship the incorrect part.

A lot of us here use realoem.com to get the correct BMW part number and order it on line from one of the tried and true internet vendors. This "system" (using realoem.com and a well-known BMW part vendor) is so good that you can have all the necessary parts on hand in a few days.

In addition, reviewing many of the DIYs posted on E90 Post, will let you know the pitfalls other owners have experienced performing the repair you are attempting. The broken nipple on the upper radiator hose is a common occurrence as is breaking the thermostat hose connector at the cylinderhead.

Finally, most all of BMWs repair procedures are located at a site called newtis.info. Finding the repair procedure is easy using the first-4 of the part number. For example, using the N52, the P/N for the tensioner is 11287530314. 11 means its an engine part. 28 means it is part of the drivebelt system. Going to newtis.info, you find the repair procedure under 11 28.

The whole sequence (realoem; newtis drill down)
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      08-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Yeah, you’re both learning some lessons :-) I appreciate the effort and always order OE BMW where you are not positive there are reasonable aftermarket options.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #7
213e90n51
Banned
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, Honda Civic Hat

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2019 M4  [0.00]
2019 Honda Civic Ha ...  [0.00]
i wish i can wrench with my dad but i never asked him and he seems to be a handy dude but at the same time never asked. He was into hondas. I wonder if i show up to a house with a honda for me and him to wrench if he likes that.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #8
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 213e90n51 View Post
i wish i can wrench with my dad but i never asked him and he seems to be a handy dude but at the same time never asked. He was into hondas. I wonder if i show up to a house with a honda for me and him to wrench if he likes that.
From my perspective as a father (and having owned several Si's, VFRs, and an AP1), I would say time spent wrenching on *any* car with my sons would be priceless.

I bet your dad would feel the same.

True 'gear heads' appreciate all cars - some of us just have an affinity for specific brands or models. The E90, E30, AP1, and VFR are my personal favorites.

OP, I'm glad you got some quality 1 on 1 time with your son...nothing like it for sure!
Appreciate 0