E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Please help! engine not cranking by hand after battery went flat

05-12-2022, 02:56 AM   #1
Jason Barrand
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i E90 2012 Msport

Exclamation Please help! engine not cranking by hand after battery went flat

Hi Guys, So I have a BMW 330i E90 2012 model Msport

Wife was driving over the weekend and she heard a whining sound and then the car switched off with a battery light. So she got it towed and the tow truck released it from park using the small red lever on the gearshift

When I got home I put the battery on charge and it charged up fine but the car would not start. did not even crank. tried to jump it but also didn't even crank. Put a socket and breaker bar on the crank and tried to turn it manually no luck

So 5 days later and we have stripped and checked the following
-Pistons are ok
-Valves are ok
-All pulleys are ok
-Alternator pulley is ok
-timing chain is ok
-camshaft is ok
-Spark plugs are removed

We removed all this and it still would not crank manually. Next step would be to remove the sub assembly and check there but thats a helluva job.

Could it be that when they manually disengaged the car out of park on that red lever that it disengages something else to turn the wheels but the gearbox is still kinda in park? Could it be an Immobilizer fault?

Any Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 06:24 AM   #2
go-beema
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 320d 2009

is it automatic? wheres a red lever on the gearshift?

i dont know what red lever on gearshift youre talking about but presuming this is automatic, if it has been taken off "park gear" then it would be in some other gear, neutral in this case as they needed the wheels to turn

this could indeed be immobiliser matter after the car had no batter for too long

unless youve resolved this now?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 08:03 AM   #3
Jason Barrand
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i E90 2012 Msport

Hay there, Yes Its resolved

Found out that the mains and big ends seized while the wife was driving. So engine is stripped busy doing a 3UZ swap now
Appreciate 0