E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Installing Power Folding Mirrors with Autodimming feature

08-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #111
polestar
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 316i LCI 2008

Mirror folding retrofit: all problems solved and mirrors fold perfect!

Hi all,

I could fix the problems myself.

It looks like the problem was with the mirrors. One of the mirror's folding motor gear was stuck. Sprayed WD-40 followed by grease and the folding part worked. I didn't have to open the motor casing as there is a tiny hole that gives access to the gear housing. Then one of the mirror glass's motor mechanism (up/down, left/right) didn't work and I had to disassemble to fix it. If interested, please look at my DIY (https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1524591)

I had a PC oscilloscope, so I could see that the mirrors were getting LIN bus signal and the pulse width was changing when I was operating the driver cluster switch. This way I knew that the wiring and programming part is most probably alright.

So finally, everything works thanks to this thread/DIY and the various other youtube videos. The mirror tilt function while reversing is a really nice bonus!
Attached Images

08-15-2018, 05:13 AM   #112
Musti85
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

i want this mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_JN View Post
You have to add $313 to your VO (or $430 if they are auto dimming) and recode the FRM module. After that, the auto tilt function should work like shown in the video

You can do it with NCS of course.

Regards.
Is there anyone in or around London who can do this on my E92. i do not have memory seats.

Also what other cool mods do people recommend we get on these cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 11:00 PM   #113
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musti85 View Post
Is there anyone in or around London who can do this on my E92. i do not have memory seats.

Also what other cool mods do people recommend we get on these cars?
this forum is all about mods check my signature
      09-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #114
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Just picked a pair of folding mirrors from E90 LCI to retrofit on my E90 LCI.
And just received my BimmerGeeks Protool bluetooth OBDII and also bought their Protool app.

I really hope I can do the coding part using the Protool.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 02:06 AM   #115
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

Happy to say it worked. I did break my right mirror, but luckly I had the replacement from the one I picked up, which is heated and autodimming.

The biggest struggle was getting the left mirror out, since now I was a bit scared that I might break it, and it was pain to get the driver side door panel out.
It took about 3 hours, maybe more with help from my brother. Wanted to take my time and do it properly. But ended breaking the first/right mirror

Coded it with Protool and made it so once I lock via fob/key in door (I don't have CA) it would instantly fold.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 04:47 AM   #116
uncle_sam
Private
Philippines
Rep
Drives: G05 xDrive 30d Sophisto Gray

Retrofit for Auto-fold Side Mirrors

My e92 M3 has manual folding side mirrors. I wish to make it auto-folding via door switch or via remote key fob (coded). I have electric memory seats, auto-dip mirror function.

I already bought the driver side window/door switch panel with button for side mirror. I also have Carly and coded the auto fold function but message shows that the mirrors should have LIN-bus to make them fold.

Have searched thru various forums and most suggested to buy a pair of side mirrors with auto-fold/auto-dip function (PN# 51168053711 & -712) which now cost $1100-1200/pair brand new. Even used part outs cost at least $400+ per piece.

Instead of buying the whole side mirror assembly, will it work if I just buy the LIN-bus parts (PN# 67137191398) and side mirror wiring assembly (PN# 67136972536 & -537) and just plug & play these into my existing side mirrors? Of course, I will also replace the window door switch panel with button. Cost of LIN-bus and wiring is only $250 per side or half the price for a brand new pair of side mirrors.

Will this work? Are the side mirror wiring assembly even necessary given that I already have electric power seats and auto-dip function?
Appreciate any comments/advice.

Sam
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #117
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

no, you need mirror assembly because motorized have different design
do you have rhd or lhd car ?
      03-05-2019, 09:29 PM   #118
uncle_sam
Private
Philippines
Rep
Drives: G05 xDrive 30d Sophisto Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
no, you need mirror assembly because motorized have different design
do you have rhd or lhd car ?
@ptpending : LHD
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 04:17 AM   #119
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_sam View Post
@ptpending : LHD
LHD M3 mirrors cost much money
      03-26-2019, 02:57 PM   #120
r77
Rep
Drives: E92 335d LCI

I got too excited with this DIY and ordered on ebay the autodimming mirrors (only the glass). I already had power folding mirrors, auto-dip and memory seats. I thought it was just a question of replacing the mirrors with the autodimming ones and do some coding. When I removed the original mirror, it only had two wires that connect to two pins on the mirror (heating probably). The autodimming mirror that I got has a plug with four pins inside. What are my options now? Get a new harness?

Last edited by r77; 03-28-2019 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #121
r77
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r77 View Post
I got too excited with this DIY and ordered on ebay the autodimming mirrors. I already had power folding mirrors, auto-dip and memory seats. I thought it was just a question of replacing the mirrors with the autodimming ones and do some coding. When I removed the original mirror, it only had two wires that connect to two pins on the mirror (heating probably). The autodimming mirror that I got has a plug with four pins inside. What are my options now? Get a new harness?
Maybe I just need this harness?

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #122
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

When I did the retrofit, my car didn't have auto dimming side mirrors.

When I got the electric folding mirrors I noticed the same thing you have. The set I picked up had the right mirror glass but not the left one.

I didn't realize it was for heated and auto dim.
So when I took off the left mirror from my original one and tried to place it; I noticed the same thing you did.

So now my mirror is in place but not hooked yp. Since it's only a heated mirror.

I need to find a cheap heated and auto dim mirror. These things are expensive!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #123
r77
Rep

Quote:
I got too excited with this DIY and ordered on ebay the autodimming mirrors (only the glass). I already had power folding mirrors, auto-dip and memory seats. I thought it was just a question of replacing the mirrors with the autodimming ones and do some coding. When I removed the original mirror, it only had two wires that connect to two pins on the mirror (heating probably). The autodimming mirror that I got has a plug with four pins inside. What are my options now? Get a new harness?
To the ones who have done this DIY and remember the harness they used, do I just need to do change this harness ( wich I think is the one I have - see quote above):

with this one?

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 07:28 AM   #124
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: e93 330d

Quote:
Hi,

If you already have folding feature and you have bought the dimming glass, you also need to repace the wiring harness in both mirrors.
The harness is also a LIN Controller. It is not easy to find them in ebay so your best option is to order them at your local dealer or maybe find a broken mirror and remove the harness.

I did it with my friend's car. To install them I had to cut the floding wires (yellow and white) and solder them in the new LIN controller because I did not find the way to unplug the folding motor without remove the spring and folding axle.

Best regards!
      04-25-2021, 09:07 AM   #125
Leegbr
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 320d

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I’m a bit lost as to what I need to do on my e92 to get power folding mirrors.

I appreciate any help with this.

I have a uk rhd e92 pre lci feb 2010. I have electric non memory seats. I have had a look at the plug for the mirrors and it’s a 6 pin plug with 5 wires in.

I’m assuming from what I have read on this thread that it isn’t a straight swap due to not having memory seats and that I will need to run a wire from each mirror to the frm in the passenger footwell? Am I right in thinking I don’t need to run anything to the junction box because the mirrors already have power and it’s just the LIN I need. I don’t mind tapping wires so it doesn’t have to be exactly oem.

I’m ok at coding as I’ve already retrofitted cic and combox so I don’t mind coding it.

Any help greatly appreciated as I’ve wanted this feature for ages.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 08:00 AM   #126
AstroZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegbr View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I’m a bit lost as to what I need to do on my e92 to get power folding mirrors.

I have a uk rhd e92 pre lci feb 2010. I have electric non memory seats. I have had a look at the plug for the mirrors and it’s a 6 pin plug with 5 wires in.

I’m assuming from what I have read on this thread that it isn’t a straight swap due to not having memory seats and that I will need to run a wire from each mirror to the frm in the passenger footwell? Am I right in thinking I don’t need to run anything to the junction box because the mirrors already have power and it’s just the LIN I need. I don’t mind tapping wires so it doesn’t have to be exactly oem.

I’m ok at coding as I’ve already retrofitted cic and combox so I don’t mind coding it.

Thank you
This is a good question. I would assume that as you have 5 pins in the connector there may/should be linbus there. mine has electric memory seats (standard on e93) and I only remember 3 wires so I did not need to ad wires. you can find the wiring diagrams in inta/d to help confirm 100% for your vin if there is linbus there.

Personally, if you want a quick check and you are comfortable with coding, I would code it in without fitting the mirrors. Then add the window switch with mirror button and connect one of the mirrors up. In mine I only needed to remove the a-pillar trim above the doorcard to get to the three torx (t30?) bolts. If after connecting it folds, then you don't need wiring.

Mine would not work until I coded it and it took a couple of tries for the VO code to take, cannot remember which modules I default coded, I guess cas, nfrm and jbbf. In the cas you can set it to fold from the fob on lock.

post back what you find!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 05:08 AM   #127
AstroZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegbr View Post

Thank you
I took a quick look at ISTA/D for my car (E93) it only has 3 wires. you may need to change the wiring. Compare your wiring in ISTA/D with an E93, as all E93s have memory seats and auto dip mirrors. does your passenger mirror dip when you go into reverse?

if you do need to change change the wiring, the wires you need (LIN bus, 12v gnd) are avaliable in the door. you would only need to tap three wires from the door wiring loom (window switch) to the mirror. If you do this please document what you do with a few pics.

As you are UK based this should be quite cheap to do- there are loads of folding mirrors on ebay for around £80-£100. switches are fairly cheap (£20) on aliexpress but you have wait for shipping. if you sell your old mirrors/switches you may break even.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:31 PM   #128
Leegbr
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroZ View Post
I took a quick look at ISTA/D for my car (E93) it only has 3 wires. you may need to change the wiring. Compare your wiring in ISTA/D with an E93, as all E93s have memory seats and auto dip mirrors. does your passenger mirror dip when you go into reverse?

if you do need to change change the wiring, the wires you need (LIN bus, 12v gnd) are avaliable in the door. you would only need to tap three wires from the door wiring loom (window switch) to the mirror. If you do this please document what you do with a few pics.

As you are UK based this should be quite cheap to do- there are loads of folding mirrors on ebay for around £80-£100. switches are fairly cheap (£20) on aliexpress but you have wait for shipping. if you sell your old mirrors/switches you may break even.
Will look into this once I’ve got the logic 7 install sorted. Hit a bump buy buying a knackered amp.

I had the passenger door card off and there was a cable that looked like it branched off from the window switch, it wasn’t connected to anything so couldn’t tell what it was for.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 09:01 AM   #129
medmedmed@icloud.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 LCI

Garage List
2011 BMW E93  [0.00]
2011 BMW E93 LCI  [0.00]
Hi very clear thanks. I have one question with the E93 cabrio to replace the mirrors would the actual door panel need to be removed or is access available to unscrew the mirror without removing the inner door panel
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 07:36 PM   #130
NjPrince
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22' M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton2002 View Post
WOW! i wanna do this thanks for posting. how much n where did u get those parts from?
I know people are still looking at this thread for parts; you can find it all on eBay. https://ebay.us/ju82va
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 12:13 PM   #131
sonishere
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Convertible

I have a 2008 E93 that comes with memory seats. It's pre-LCI. The original mirrors are manual folding and I have the parking feature with the passenger mirror tilting down in the reverse gear. My original mirrors are both 3-pin mirrors, but my driver's side loom has 5 wires. My passenger side loom has 3 wires. Based on what I read, I shouldn't have to do any new wiring. My question is with the new mirrors. Do I need to buy a 5-pin mirror for the driver's side that has a 5-wire loom and a 3-pin mirror for my passenger side?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 09:02 AM   #132
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

you need to get 3-pin mirror assemblies to get new functions
so i would advise to recheck driver side 5-pin wire colors then, probably only 3 of them used.
do adjustment of the driver side mirror is working ?