E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2EF4 error code: thermostat fault

02-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
queensfield
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90

2EF4 error code: thermostat fault

So, I got this code yesterday. I am interpreting it to mean that the thermostat is sticking. A search of this error code here reveals that the heater part of the thermostat that allows it to open slightly a bit earlier than normal is dead. That probably makes sense since I also have the "2DED code- power management standby control"- I guess the heater circuit is unable to be powered.

SES light is on. Haven't seen any overheating yet- if thermostat is dead, it is probably in open state. Should I change the thermostat? Anyone found a better way to deal with this code? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I had the exact same problem with my car. The code would only show up in the cold months, October to April. I cleared the code several times, but it kept coming back. The SES light comes on because the t-stat controlls the speed of engine warm up, thus controlling the cold engine start C02 emissions. If your car is out of warranty and emissions warranty then the repair is on you. If you have warranty or an emissions warranty (depends on what State you live in) then BMW should fix it for you.

The t-stat is designed to fail open, so it won't cause an overheat condition. Eventually I just changed out my t-stat and the problem went away. If your car is near 100,000 miles, you might think of replacing the water pump to. It semms most of the '06 cars lose the waterpump around 100K.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
queensfield
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90

Thank you for the explanation. Your explanation makes sense. I am out of CPO warranty, but since it is emissions related, which has 8 year warranty in CA, it might be covered. I cleared it using BT cable from a friend, and so far it hasn't come back. But it probably needs more time and a few cold starts to be sure.

I am currently at 61K miles, and am planning to change the pump and thermostat at 100K miles unless I discover any symptoms earlier- e.g. speed deviation of water pump, like you had observed and reported.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensfield View Post
Thank you for the explanation. Your explanation makes sense. I am out of CPO warranty, but since it is emissions related, which has 8 year warranty in CA, it might be covered. I cleared it using BT cable from a friend, and so far it hasn't come back. But it probably needs more time and a few cold starts to be sure.

I am currently at 61K miles, and am planning to change the pump and thermostat at 100K miles unless I discover any symptoms earlier- e.g. speed deviation of water pump, like you had observed and reported.
I think you can get it replaced under the CA emissions law, but double check. I think the law is specific has to what is covered (i.e. cats, fuel injection, etc.)

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 02:59 AM   #5
cb224
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: IOMG G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I had the exact same problem with my car. The code would only show up in the cold months, October to April. I cleared the code several times, but it kept coming back. The SES light comes on because the t-stat controlls the speed of engine warm up, thus controlling the cold engine start C02 emissions. If your car is out of warranty and emissions warranty then the repair is on you. If you have warranty or an emissions warranty (depends on what State you live in) then BMW should fix it for you.

The t-stat is designed to fail open, so it won't cause an overheat condition. Eventually I just changed out my t-stat and the problem went away. If your car is near 100,000 miles, you might think of replacing the water pump to. It semms most of the '06 cars lose the waterpump around 100K.
Did you replace thermostat yourself? How is it done?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #6
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
I am still sitting with an odd thermostat problem - seems to be over cooling the engine as if stuck partially or fully open. Basically the engine is typically running at 79 - 84 degrees Celsius, but does on occasions run up to 96 degrees, but almost straight away drops down again - for instance when slowing down to a stop etc. It's suppose to run pretty steady on 105 degrees as far as I know. Now the odd part is that I have no error codes, so yet again will have to just fork out more money and replace another part on this car. I did replace the temperature sensors earlier this year since it was thought that they might be giving false readings, obviously not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb224 View Post
Did you replace thermostat yourself? How is it done?
Check this thread (it's a few threads down): Pictures: Electric water pump + thermostat replace

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #7
byoung8
Legendary
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90 TiAg

I just got the error yesterday driving in high 50 degree weather. I am going to try clearing the code with the JB4 interface. Interesting fact about the CA Emissions warranty. My car is Aug 2007 so I should have until 2015 but I'll research that and call the dealership.

Any other updates with you guys and the 2EF4 Map thermostat, mechanics error?

'07 335i E90 Titanium Silver
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 05:21 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by byoung8 View Post
I just got the error yesterday driving in high 50 degree weather. I am going to try clearing the code with the JB4 interface. Interesting fact about the CA Emissions warranty. My car is Aug 2007 so I should have until 2015 but I'll research that and call the dealership.

Any other updates with you guys and the 2EF4 Map thermostat, mechanics error?
There is a heating element in the thermostat. When it fails, you get code 2EF4. Replacement of the t-stat is the only repair you can do. Eninty included replacement of the T-stat in his N52 Water pump replacement DIY.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
cgeorge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
There is a heating element in the thermostat. When it fails, you get code 2EF4. Replacement of the t-stat is the only repair you can do. Eninty included replacement of the T-stat in his N52 Water pump replacement DIY.
Can I drive around a couple weeks before replacing the thermostat? or do I need to do it immediately?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeorge View Post
Can I drive around a couple weeks before replacing the thermostat? or do I need to do it immediately?
You can drive around on it for as long as you want. I went around 34,000 miles between when the code first showed up and before I replaced mine. But 34,000 is about 10 months of time for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
cgeorge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 e92

thanks. I was thinking like 2 weeks or 500 miles
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #12
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Hi guys,

So I posted my thermostat DIY here, but sadly I am still sitting with the over-cooling. I am at a total loss as to why this is. Now I never had an error code to begin with, just the fact that I could see the below normal temperatures on the hidden OBD menu 7. A while back I did replace the two temperature sensors, so it was not a faulty sensor, suggesting that it could only be the thermostat then.

With the old thermostat I was typically seeing temperatures between 79 and 84 degrees Celsius, but with the new BMW OEM thermostat it seems to vary between the mid 70 degrees to the mid 80 degrees, but does sometimes climb briefly up to the upper 80 degrees or lower 90 degrees. This is all driving around town, on the open road it briefly climbs to the upper 90 degrees and then drops right down to the upper 70 degrees again.

Very strange, I have no idea what to make of it. Cannot believe that I have bought a faulty new thermostat, so has to be something else...

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #13
os1r1s1
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

2EF4 After Water pump and Thermostat change?

Good day all I received the 2EF4 Thermostat Mechanical fault code as a shadow code after I installed a new Water pump and thermostat in a 2006 BMW 325i with approximately 140k miles on it. The new water pump and Thermostat where both aftermarket parts. I drive around 45 miles round trip mixed city highway with no overheating or issues. Any ideas where to start looking?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Did you check before you did the work that the code was stored in the ECU? You should clear any fault codes related to the system you are working on before replacing the part. It may be the old code still there from the old T-stat. Clear it and see if it returns.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #15
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i & 11 M3 ZCP

I've got a good water pump replaced cpo but the dealer did not replace the thermostat and I've now got a thermostat code and am out of warranty. Can you replace the thermostat without removing the water pump?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLIEN View Post
I've got a good water pump replaced cpo but the dealer did not replace the thermostat and I've now got a thermostat code and am out of warranty. Can you replace the thermostat without removing the water pump?
Yes, you can replace the T-stat without removing the water pump.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 09:57 PM   #17
Manny_P
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335 xi sedan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post

Is it safe to assume if the car is overheating it is not due to a failing thermostat since you mentioned that the fail position is open? Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 12:58 AM   #18
Hernandezj33
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325i

I own a 2006 325i in January of 2019 SES light came on and i got P0128 code (thermostat low coolant temperature). Replaced the thermostat no major issues. Recently while driving back from work SES came back on. Checked the code once i got home and got the P0128 code again. Replaced the thermostat again with in a week SES light came back on. Once again it was the P0128 code. I decided to switch to an OEM thermostat. With in two days the SES light came back on with code 2EF4 (thermostat fault). Cleared the code and it lasted a couple days before the SES light came back on. Once again p0128 code again. Anyone have this issues?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 05:18 AM   #19
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernandezj33 View Post
I own a 2006 325i in January of 2019 SES light came on and i got P0128 code (thermostat low coolant temperature). Replaced the thermostat no major issues. Recently while driving back from work SES came back on. Checked the code once i got home and got the P0128 code again. Replaced the thermostat again with in a week SES light came back on. Once again it was the P0128 code. I decided to switch to an OEM thermostat. With in two days the SES light came back on with code 2EF4 (thermostat fault). Cleared the code and it lasted a couple days before the SES light came back on. Once again p0128 code again. Anyone have this issues?
Scan the vehicle with something that can read BMW codes. You may have a fault with the wiring to the heater.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:52 PM   #20
fatty
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 08 328xi, BMW 09 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernandezj33 View Post
I feel your pain. I bought a 2008 328xi in January of 2019. I got the 2EF4 code, so I replaced thermostat. Code came back after a week, reset, code came back, flushed coolant, code came back. Replaced thermostat again, used BMW thermostat, code came back. I replaced the temp sensor in the head, code came back. I replaced the radiator, code came back. The only thing I have not replaced in the cooling system is the water pump because it's clearly working. I am lost. Have you found a resolution to this? Thanks.

Fatty
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:38 PM   #21
Stealthflipboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty View Post
I feel your pain. I bought a 2008 328xi in January of 2019. I got the 2EF4 code, so I replaced thermostat. Code came back after a week, reset, code came back, flushed coolant, code came back. Replaced thermostat again, used BMW thermostat, code came back. I replaced the temp sensor in the head, code came back. I replaced the radiator, code came back. The only thing I have not replaced in the cooling system is the water pump because it's clearly working. I am lost. Have you found a resolution to this? Thanks.

Fatty
Did you find a solution?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 09:39 PM   #22
fatty
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 08 328xi, BMW 09 335d

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthflipboy View Post
Did you find a solution?
No, I found no solution. I have had two BMW service technicians that I am friends with independently come to the same conclusion: DME.

The vehicle will not get up to temp. My e90 hovers around 70 C. I unplugged the thermostat and the vehicle stays around 100 C, right where it should be. When I plug the thermostat back in... it will sit back at 70 C. So my conclusion is the DME is keeping the thermostat open. The wires are fine, I am dumbfounded.
Appreciate 0