E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Let's have a coilovers - springs - shocks discussion!

12-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #45
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

i have kw v3's and am finding my settings (kw's) too harsh for a DD. I never track so i'm looking for a spirited on-the-street driving experience. Its a pain to constantly jack up the car and removes wheels to adjust and re-adjust compression and rebound so I want to fix it and honestly not have to play with it again.

Could someone just share their compression and rebound setting which they use for daily driving. KW V3 owners please.

thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #46
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
I have Eibach Pro's on stock shocks/struts and i LOVE the ride quality!!! Its my DD and I didnt want anything extreme. I do wish it had a little more drop, but its a good height and it dosent bottom out ever. Im totally satisfied!!! Might buy a set of H&R sports and try them for a period as well just to compare...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #47
Rajrules
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Winter driving and coil overs

I drive a 335i in the summer and in the winter up here in Canada. I am debating if I should get coilovers?

What the affects both positive and negative when driving a car with coilovers installed all year round? (summer,fall,winter,spring).
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #48
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajrules View Post
I drive a 335i in the summer and in the winter up here in Canada. I am debating if I should get coilovers?

What the affects both positive and negative when driving a car with coilovers installed all year round? (summer,fall,winter,spring).
with the car lowered there will be more chance of the front of your car hitting ice and snow which dependent on the snow or ice can crack your lip if you have one or bumper...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 01:31 AM   #49
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajrules View Post

There are several more cost effective solutions out there if you are just trying to lower your car than forking over all that dough for coilovers.

I have KWv3 as it was the only solution for the XI at the time. In the winter I raise the car (you'll need an alignment), but its still a snowplow if you are in snow country and I lower it in the spring for the track (you'll need another alignment).

Other than the alignments and the rather low height, where you may run into some issues in the winter depending where you are, there are no disadvantages. They are rather pricey when compared to other suspension solutions. Bon chance.
      02-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #50
Rajrules
Registered
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #51
pittyinSC
Drives Smart
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1968 Austin Mini Cooper 1380cc

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Not sure what it is, but yesterday my KW V2's started clanking or something metal on metal started clanking when I go over bumps on the road at normal speeds and my brakes seem to have something to do with it, but oh well i need to get it checked out. I can go around corners and everything quickly, but the clanking sounds like it coming from top of shock

08 BMW ///M5 Space Gray/Black 6 speed
Engine: RPi GTS exhaust, RPi Scoops, Carbon Filter Delete
Exterior: Glossy Black Kidneys, LUX V3, OEM LED License Plate light, Bruce License Plate Adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 03:27 AM   #52
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaYzEe View Post
i know there are alotta reviews, each with their own threads but if we can summarize all of them in to here, DEFINITELY STICKY THIS

But any ways I would love to hear from those people with:

1. Eibach with stock/aftermarket shocks
2. H&R with stock/aftermarket shocks
3. Eibach coilovers
4. H&R coilovers
4. KW 1/2/3
5. ST coilovers
6. Bilstein PSS9/10s
7. Dinan stage 1/2/3
8. Bav Autosport coils
9. BMW performance suspension
10. TC Kline coilovers

Thanks to Fraggy, we got 3 to compare but to hear more about the others would be great!

As in my previous threads, im still waiting for BMW performance to come out with something for the E92s but if nothing really comes up by this fall, im gonna get ST coils
KW V3/PSS10/TC Kline are the top dogs here.

I will only comment on TC Kline....It is probably one of the best DA coil-over kits you can buy. However, depends on what spring rates you order, how your car handles can differ greatly.

For a few hundres dollars more the TC Kline DA coil-over kit can be made much better, with better springs(lighter weight coil-over springs) with proper rates(we have spend lots of R&D time on this one), helpers, and thrust sheets.

Of course we can go beyond your day to day dampers and talk about Moton's and JRZ's or even Ohlin's and Penske's.

Go from your ordinary Eibach and H&R springs to top of the line Swift and Hypercoil coil-over springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #53
Firedog335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90/335i  [0.00]
H&R sport springs on a 2008 TiAg 335i E90 equipped with sports package

Just had my 2008 335i E90, with the sports package, lowered at Sonic MS today. They installed the H&R sport springs (w/existing shocks) and performed a wheel alignment. I'm pleased with the height, as I was concerned that it wouldn't drop enough, due to the existing sport suspension that came with the vehicle. I was looking to bring the fenders just above the tires. They did just that. About 1/4" to 1/2" above the tire. I have owned vehicles with coilovers and prefer their ride and performance over a spring. However, if price is an issue and your just looking to get rid of that 4 wheel drive look, then you can't beat this spring. IMO, the HR sport spring feels softer than the stock sport package springs. It bounces a little more and doesn't feel aggressive or connected to the road like you'd expect. I have not been able to assess if there's actually an increase in handling ability, but I would imagine there's not. Despite this, I'm pleased with the H&R sport springs. They met my expectations.

Props to Andy and Barrett at Sonic MS. They are attentive to the customers desires and assist you in the decision making process. The quality of work was exceptional and done in a timely manner. They are true professionals. Thanks Andy & Barrett.

Lastly, for those of you who are new to modding your BMW, LIKE ME, are considering the same springs for your ride and want to EYE BALL what your car would look like, I measured an overall lowering height, a hair over 1"I'll post before and after pics in a couple of days, so you can see stock height and H&R sport spring height. Again, my car is an E90 335i equipped with factory sport package/sport suspension. Hope this will help fellow newbies who aren't techs yet.

Last edited by Firedog335i; 03-27-2009 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #54
Turkishexpress
Gixxer Man
Turkey
Rep
Drives: '08 335i E90 / '06 Range HSE

Can anyone tell me if the FK Silverline Plus X Coilover system as good as the KWs? They are both stainless steel and the silverline comes with the koni shocks. The vendors that sell it will obviously say that it is but KWs have a reputation that is hard to beat. Just trying to justify savind $300 with the Silverlines

Former Stable: 2008 MB C300, 2007 Chevy Avalanche, 2006 Evo IX (544awhp), 2005 Sti, 2003 Evo...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #55
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have the FKs and I have to say that the quality is better IMO and for a cheaper price...My installer has his experience with KW and FKs, he told me that FKs were made better because there are no plastic parts like KW uses, and FK supplies a new sway bar which is better than the OEM one...KW uses the old OEM one that was on the car already! I have my coilovers for over a month and I love the way it handles and corners...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #56
Turkishexpress
Gixxer Man
Turkey
Rep
Drives: '08 335i E90 / '06 Range HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I have the FKs and I have to say that the quality is better IMO and for a cheaper price...My installer has his experience with KW and FKs, he told me that FKs were made better because there are no plastic parts like KW uses, and FK supplies a new sway bar which is better than the OEM one...KW uses the old OEM one that was on the car already! I have my coilovers for over a month and I love the way it handles and corners...
Good deal, I think that seals the deal for me. I've been contemplating these coilovers for a while and I promised myself I would get new suspension come this spring. Thanks!

Former Stable: 2008 MB C300, 2007 Chevy Avalanche, 2006 Evo IX (544awhp), 2005 Sti, 2003 Evo...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #57
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

So from reading all the posts, what I'm getting is that the Bilstein PSS9/PSS10 are the most fitting for a DD as far as the drivability goes?

I'm looking to upgrade my suspension next, and I don't want too stiff of a ride but could still hold its own if I decide to hit the tracks later.......

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #58
jamoash
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 coupe

Garage List
2007 2.0 coupe  [0.00]
bme e92

i want to lower my car by 40mm can this be done as i am running 19 inch all round 225/35/19 front and 265/30/19 back
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #59
alee335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I sedan

Garage List
2007 E90 335I  [0.00]
Love my TCKlines. 400 lb. rated springs in front. 500 lbs in the rear. Compression settings at 1 click from softest; rebound set at 1 full turn from soft in fronts; 3/4 turn from softest in rears. Ride is firm without being harsh. I had camber plates but took them out; they transmitted more road noise into the car than I liked. Camber plates are more than I need since I don't track the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #60
LaYzEe
Major
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

so after saving up some money, i think i'll be ordering the bmw performance suspension and m3 parts in the next month or so

i'll make a new thread once i ordered it and do a before n after comparison too
      05-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #61
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
So from reading all the posts, what I'm getting is that the Bilstein PSS9/PSS10 are the most fitting for a DD as far as the drivability goes?

I'm looking to upgrade my suspension next, and I don't want too stiff of a ride but could still hold its own if I decide to hit the tracks later.......
Koni and KW's will give you a better ride over the high pressure monotube Bilstien's.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #62
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Question

Guys,

I'm a total noob when it comes to suspension. I live in Chicago and I simply want to lower my car, primarily the front as I think the rear is fine. I have the ZSP package already. I do not want the ride quality to get worse and I don't want to get stuck in the snow come winter.

Is there a solution that lets me lower the front end, doesn't make the ride any harsher and will not potentially get me stuck in the snow when winter rolls around? Also I hate the idea of getting an alignment everytime you adjust with a coilover setup.

Any and all input is appreciated.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #63
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Okay,
started out with the Koni FSD/Eibach Pro kit suspension last year. The car handled "better" and dropped slightly. Not overly impressed with the height but, the ride definitely became more comfortable over the stock sport suspension in the sense of being tighter without over doing it.

Since that time I have changed the springs to the H&R race springs and kept the Koni FSD shocks in place. Absolutely the right choice and one I should have made in the first place. The ride height is just right and the stiffness of the springs and comfort of the FSDs makes the ride perfect ......... no bouncing and retains the "feel of the road" I love in a sportscar.

Most recently I installed Hotchkis front & rear sway bars along with a Hotchkis underbody chassis brace. WOW! Talk about a car feeling as if it's traveling on rails. The sway bars are adjustable however, they feel great with the default settings and help the car to embrace each and every curve it encounters.

So, all in all the car has the proper height, ride comfort and control no matter what road conditions I encounter.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #64
LaYzEe
Major
Rep

my order's taking forever to complete all the parts!

it maybe back order or the parts manager is just taking his sweet time getting the parts. i dunno
      06-29-2009, 04:30 AM   #65
markiE90
Private
Philippines
Rep
Drives: SG E90

Garage List
2007 320i E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight740 View Post
I have Eibach Pro's on stock shocks/struts and i LOVE the ride quality!!! Its my DD and I didnt want anything extreme. I do wish it had a little more drop, but its a good height and it dosent bottom out ever. Im totally satisfied!!! Might buy a set of H&R sports and try them for a period as well just to compare...
+1 : I have the same set up, i love the ride quality for daily drive street use. The only downside is when you drive over bumps, its gets a bit bouncy but nothing disappointing. Did i mention, PERFECT HEIGHT?!

The only concern for me... i read a lot in the forums that my stock (non sport) shocks will have much shorter lifespan. Can somebody confirm me with same setup how many km or miles have they gone and still going fine.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #66
LaYzEe
Major
Rep

i just hope i have all the parts ordered correctly...

soon to be installed:

bmw performance sports chassis retrofit (suspension kit with the newer front sway bar)
bmw performance springs
M3 rear sway bar
M3 fstb
M3 wishbones
M3 guide rods
M3 bushings
M3 tension struts
M3 control arms

Appointment's on Monday. They better have the right parts that i ordered...