E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Possible DDE failure?

07-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Possible DDE failure?

My buddy's 335d went into a limp mode about a month sgo and we've been trying to figure this one out.

At first round of diagnostics with ISTA, errors came up for the following:

3FF1: air mass measurement
4593: Smooth Running Controller, cylinder 2
4595: Smooth Running Controller, cylinder 6
4596: Smooth Running Controller, cylinder 3
4868: DDE: air system, air to EGR mass flow, plausibility
4C04: exhaust-gas temp sensor before cat, plausibility

Did the smooth running test, injectors 2,3,6 looked out of spec when varying rpm's from idle to 3000

Replaced MAF sensor and got brand new Bosch injectors. Swapped the "good" injectors around and installed the new ones purchased. No cylinder would have a bad injector

Reset all adaptations, programmed injectors properly.

His wife took the car for work, about 10 miles each way. Limp mode came on around mile 25.

Ran the codes again, SAME. EXACT. CODES.

I can upload ISTA report if it helps

Possible DDE failure? Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:59 PM   #2
Boyd122
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335D bmw 325es 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
My buddy's 335d went into a limp mode about a month sgo and we've been trying to figure this one out.

At first round of diagnostics with ISTA, errors came up for the following:

3FF1: air mass measurement
4593: Smooth Running Controller, cylinder 2
4595: Smooth Running Controller, cylinder 6
4596: Smooth Running Controller, cylinder 3
4868: DDE: air system, air to EGR mass flow, plausibility
4C04: exhaust-gas temp sensor before cat, plausibility

Did the smooth running test, injectors 2,3,6 looked out of spec when varying rpm's from idle to 3000

Replaced MAF sensor and got brand new Bosch injectors. Swapped the "good" injectors around and installed the new ones purchased. No cylinder would have a bad injector

Reset all adaptations, programmed injectors properly.

His wife took the car for work, about 10 miles each way. Limp mode came on around mile 25.

Ran the codes again, SAME. EXACT. CODES.

I can upload ISTA report if it helps

Possible DDE failure? Ideas?

These codes could be carbon build up from egr system, my car had the same problem and I did exactly the same thing, turns out it was carbon build up. Local place quoted me 5,000 just do a clean but I did it buying the machine and gaskets for 700 from various places, very simple job just don't get any walnut material in the cylinders due to lack of valves not being closed all the way because you'll fuck your engine really quick. If it was a DDE failure btw car wouldn't run at all, has to have the computer to fire the injectors and control injection pump as well as boost from the turbos etc. Just carbon build up is what it is. If you pull the manifold you'll see. The code 4c04 is for one of the egt sensors if your car isn't deleted, there are several of them, they are round about 180 bucks but I can't remember, my car is deleted so I have one and I had it pop up once because i plugged it into the wrong plug when I deleted it 😬
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:07 AM   #3
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd122 View Post
These codes could be carbon build up from egr system, my car had the same problem and I did exactly the same thing, turns out it was carbon build up. Local place quoted me 5,000 just do a clean but I did it buying the machine and gaskets for 700 from various places, very simple job just don't get any walnut material in the cylinders due to lack of valves not being closed all the way because you'll fuck your engine really quick. If it was a DDE failure btw car wouldn't run at all, has to have the computer to fire the injectors and control injection pump as well as boost from the turbos etc. Just carbon build up is what it is. If you pull the manifold you'll see. The code 4c04 is for one of the egt sensors if your car isn't deleted, there are several of them, they are round about 180 bucks but I can't remember, my car is deleted so I have one and I had it pop up once because i plugged it into the wrong plug when I deleted it 😬
Ah, forgot to mention. CBU was dealt with by the dealer. They even replaced the intake manifold and EGR does not have much carbon on it. All this was done at around 65k miles and now the car has 79k
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:12 AM   #4
Boyd122
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335D bmw 325es 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd122 View Post
Ah, forgot to mention. CBU was dealt with by the dealer. They even replaced the intake manifold and EGR does not have much carbon on it. All this was done at around 65k miles and now the car has 79k
Hmmm, weird well no clue then but very doubtful that it's dde/ecm failure, car wouldn't run without it, did you by chance look at the valve area internally with a bore scope, reason I say that is I don't trust dealer work and they sometimes don't do what they say but I'm not sure if that's not it. If I think of a reason I will pop it in here and see if that fits the bill good luck to you though! Check the injector harness to btw see if the injectors ohm out good and that the wires to each Injector do too.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 01:18 AM   #5
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Did you do anything about 4C04? Looks like that is one issue, and EGR valve/pressure converter failure is the other issue.

My first thought was also CBU...if you have a bore scope I'd have a look inside the intake manifold and ports to double check all is good.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Did you do anything about 4C04? Looks like that is one issue, and EGR valve/pressure converter failure is the other issue.

My first thought was also CBU...if you have a bore scope I'd have a look inside the intake manifold and ports to double check all is good.
Not yet. We were tackling the injectors first, but now obviously it's not it. We're going to take the manifold and egr apart for a full cleaning again, despite it being done by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Be sure to take pics + video as you go. If the dealer did a poor job, I'd be asking for a refund.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #8
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Be sure to take pics + video as you go. If the dealer did a poor job, I'd be asking for a refund.

Good luck!
Not sure how that will work. He purchased the car from his in law in N.C. Now it's in NH
Appreciate 0