E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Clunking & "tugging"

07-29-2020, 09:41 PM   #1
Saladbar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 392 328xi

Clunking & "tugging"

Hey guys, I got a 08 e92 328xi and I recently put 18x8.5 w/ 245/45s on the front and 18x9.5 w/ 275/45 in the rear. The rears rub on harsh bumps and dips but I'm getting the fenders rolled soon . However, at slow speeds, rolling in neutral and 1st gear, I feel like it's the front right wheel that clunks and when I'm accelerating it's like it catches onto something and tugs the car to the right until I get off the gas which lunges the car pretty much. Also, accelerating to higher speeds, like getting onto the freeway, my tc goes off and I have to let off in order to put power down again.

Only started happening when I put on the new wheels...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 03:08 PM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
Hey guys, I got a 08 e92 328xi and I recently put 18x8.5 w/ 245/45s on the front and 18x9.5 w/ 275/45 in the rear. The rears rub on harsh bumps and dips but I'm getting the fenders rolled soon . However, at slow speeds, rolling in neutral and 1st gear, I feel like it's the front right wheel that clunks and when I'm accelerating it's like it catches onto something and tugs the car to the right until I get off the gas which lunges the car pretty much. Also, accelerating to higher speeds, like getting onto the freeway, my tc goes off and I have to let off in order to put power down again.

Only started happening when I put on the new wheels...
Did you do your research before going with this size?
There is a few issues here. First 245 45 is too large for the front. I have heard some members using 245 40 on the front depending on their offset but the clearance was very close.

The major issue with your set up is the size on the front in relation to the size on the rear. Since you have a Xi ( I do as well) you need to stay within 1% of the tire dimeter on the front in relation to the rear if you are doing a staggered setup. Your current set up has almost a 4% difference which is a lot. This is going to damage your Xdrive system and give a tugging binding feel.
This is also why your TC is freaking out. It uses wheel speed to measure traction control and also a way of monitoring a flat tire without having tire sensors. Your car thinks there is an issue because your front wheels are spinning at a different speed than your rear wheels due to the size difference.

Offset is also very important for clearance. However 275/45 is a large sidewall. I am no expert but I bet even with fender rolling, you are still going to rub.

An acceptable size would be 245/40/18 on the front and 275/35/18 rear. (depending on rim offset)

Last edited by Bimmer_Bro; 07-30-2020 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
Saladbar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 392 328xi

Thanks so much! This is my first ever BMW lol, im an import kind of guy but I really wanna learn more about euros. Also, would x-delete help with this issue? I should've done more research into the wheels, kinda was impatient with it and only went for them because of the price and since they fit on my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #4
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
Thanks so much! This is my first ever BMW lol, im an import kind of guy but I really wanna learn more about euros. Also, would x-delete help with this issue? I should've done more research into the wheels, kinda was impatient with it and only went for them because of the price and since they fit on my car.
No problem! Xdelete would solve the issue of it being hard on the transmission and the odd tugging feeling. X delete is perfect if you plan to run a staggard setup. However this is not going to solve your rubbing issue. I think that size is still too big for the front and a lot of sidewalk for the rear.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

I would get delete ASAP before you kill your transfer case. That is a big difference in diameter front to rear.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #6
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

If you can't get xDelete right away, at least unplug the tcase motor or pull the front driveshaft to prevent damaging the tcase.

If you pull the motor connector, you will have ABS,DSC, AWD lights but they will clear once you plug it back in. Make sure to plug it back in before using xDelete
Appreciate 0