E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > M57 #5 Low Compression

08-11-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
Nicelowz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

M57 #5 Low Compression

HI guys! Have an issue with my M57 and figured id bring the question onto the forums.

Been deleted for 2000 miles. Malone stage 2.9 and ive deleted everything.

Had noticed recently upon starting that it had a small misfire upon firing over...had also noticed my oil consumption had gone way up. Using a quart about every 1000 miles.

So popped the oil cap and noticed way to much blowby..which explains the oil loss. Intake elbow to the small turbo is soaked with oil....

So i did a compression test...all cylinders are between 365-400..except #5...its a 250. That explains the blowby.

So my thoughts are either a stuck ring or worse a broken ring.

Has 136k and has had regular oil changes. I dont run on hard..just get on it here and there. Mpg is great.

Has anyone else familiar with the m57 seen anything close to this? Just odd to me that its randomly down 150ish psi with no extra noise..still runs smooth....

Wondering if an overfueling condition from #5 injector could have sooted up the rings? Or worse yet burned the piston down.

Only other thing i could think of..is i did have to change the 02 sensor. I put 1000 or so miles on it with that bad.

No codes after that.

I was thinking of soaking #5 with some atf overnight and see if anything changes.

Any ideas??? Thanks guys!! Paul
Appreciate 0